Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Georgetown Pregame/In-game Thread

Let's get this rolling.

Not only are the Hoyas the best team we'll have played so far this season, they are also the best offense we'll have faced. This is significant.

Did you know that the two best offensive teams we've played this year are Rhode Island and Michigan (14th and 24th nationally in offensive efficiency, respectively). As you may recall, both those teams had their way with Duke's vaunted defense (granted, it took Michigan two tries to do so).

Rhode Island shot 55% from the field against Duke. Jimmy Baron had an unusually hot day but the Rams as a team also did a good job in transition and of penetrating to the midrange area and sinking shots, imo. Duke did force 17 turnovers but overall allowed 1.19 points per possession, which is really poor.

Duke did a great job against Michigan in the first matchup, but in the game we lost, the Wolverines shot 48% with only 11 turnovers and overall scored 1.15 points per possession against us -- again, not good at all. Michigan did well with backdoors and playing a two-man game with Harris and Sims, imo.

On Saturday, Georgetown strolls into town with the 6th best offense in the country, and it'd be really nice if our defense plays well against them. Obviously, if Duke's calling card this season is going to be "great" defense, the defense can't continue to lose battles against top 25 offenses. Great defenses limit the good offensive teams in addition to devastating the bad ones.

Georgetown is a very good offense with mobile, skilled, versatile bigs along with talented guards and good shooters. They are capable of doing the same things that Michigan did against Duke in Ann Arbor. Can we defend the backdoor when Monroe has the ball in the high post? Will Zoubek even be able to stay in this game, or will Monroe run circles around him? Big test for Z.

Some statistical goals for this game would be to limit Georgetown to 45% shooting from the field, take the ball away about 15 times, and overall hold them to around 1 point per possession. If we can do that, I'll be thrilled. It's a big test on Saturday. Again, Duke's defense has given up big offensive games to the only two top 25 offenses we've played this season. Two opponents isn't a trend, but three might be.

I want to beatdown Georgetown and specifically Greg Monroe in the worst way.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Let's get this rolling.

Not only are the Hoyas the best team we'll have played so far this season, they are also the best offense we'll have faced. This is significant.

Did you know that the two best offensive teams we've played this year are Rhode Island and Michigan (14th and 24th nationally in offensive efficiency, respectively). As you may recall, both those teams had their way with Duke's vaunted defense (granted, it took Michigan two tries to do so).

Rhode Island shot 55% from the field against Duke. Jimmy Baron had an unusually hot day but the Rams as a team also did a good job in transition and of penetrating to the midrange area and sinking shots, imo. Duke did force 17 turnovers but overall allowed 1.19 points per possession, which is really poor.

Duke did a great job against Michigan in the first matchup, but in the game we lost, the Wolverines shot 48% with only 11 turnovers and overall scored 1.15 points per possession against us -- again, not good at all. Michigan did well with backdoors and playing a two-man game with Harris and Sims, imo.

On Saturday, Georgetown strolls into town with the 6th best offense in the country, and it'd be really nice if our defense plays well against them. Obviously, if Duke's calling card this season is going to be "great" defense, the defense can't continue to lose battles against top 25 offenses. Great defenses limit the good offensive teams in addition to devastating the bad ones.

Georgetown is a very good offense with mobile, skilled, versatile bigs along with talented guards and good shooters. They are capable of doing the same things that Michigan did against Duke in Ann Arbor. Can we defend the backdoor when Monroe has the ball in the high post? Will Zoubek even be able to stay in this game, or will Monroe run circles around him? Big test for Z.

Some statistical goals for this game would be to limit Georgetown to 45% shooting from the field, take the ball away about 15 times, and overall hold them to around 1 point per possession. If we can do that, I'll be thrilled. It's a big test on Saturday. Again, Duke's defense has given up big offensive games to the only two top 25 offenses we've played this season. Two opponents isn't a trend, but three might be.
    It's important to note that those two games include when a couple opponents got very hot regardless of how well they were guarded.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    This is going to be a tough and physical game. I see this one coming down to who wants it more and who is in better shape (gonna be running on fumes at the end).

a bit about the Hoyas

Gtown played an outstanding game last night, demolishing #8 Syracuse with 59% shooting, 57% from 3. It's by far the best they have played all year, with 10 players scoring.

But Duke plays an entirely different defense, and I don't think there's a clear analogy. Those 3s won't be available against Duke. The Hoyas are good and extremely well coached, but until last night they had been misfiring from the arc and getting outrebounded with some regularity. They are also young, with only one senior and one junior - so there are weaknesses to exploit.

Singler vs. Summers should be a great matchup, likewise Wright vs. Smith. As for the backup guards, Jason Clark will eat Greg P alive, the way Greg has been playing. What's encouraging about the Hoyas is that, since the debacle against Pitt, they have been improving in all the fundamentals. Monroe practically had a triple-double against Providence - he has been an incredible passer - and is already much better than in his first few weeks. His court awareness and basketball IQ are as good as anyone I have seen this year not named Jon Scheyer. He has been BE freshman of the week four times.

The bench, a clear liability a month ago, has improved mightily, especially guard Jason Clark, 6-11 Henry Sims, and Julian Vaughan, whom you may remember from Florida State. Nikita M and Omar Wattad also knocked down three 3s last night and made some great hustle plays in limited minutes.

The emergence of Sims has helped the rebounding a lot, especially when he and Monroe play together. Austin Freeman can shoot lights out when he's hot, as well as make backdoor cuts like no other. Jessie Sapp, while in a scoring slump, remains a scrappy defender who gets steals and rebounds. DaJuan Summers has been the best player on the team, and he has been BE player of the week a couple of times. He's super-athletic and plays with passion, can hit inside and out and block shots. I'm not sure Duke has anyone as quick as Chris Wright, but then the Hoyas don't have a Gerald Henderson.

This is the game that absolutely ties my stomach in knots, since I love both teams. But I think it's a freebie for both, this year. There won't be any dishonor or consequence to a loss by either team, as long as it's not a blowout. The home team *should* win, but that's what UConn thought, too.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Hoya Suxa

I agree with the Troublemaker when he says that 'good defenses limit the good offensive teams'....and I see this as the key point of this game. Remember, we have Superman on the bench in K and he's planning to push the D angle going in, almost guaranteed.

I see Duke winning this game. Certainly, it'll be close and Georgetown may give us fits inside the paint and down low, but in the end, our D will cause Duke to prevail in this one.

Bring on the Hoyas and GO DUKE!

dukestheheat

My preference would be to see Greg Monroe humiliated, to make him eat his words about feeling more comfortable with G'Town. Frankly, I don't see exactly how that might happen. Maybe a couple of technicals?
    My wife wanted to go somewhere on Saturday, and have me record the Duke game for later. Maybe some games, but not this game. If I watch it on tape, I cannot possibly add my energy to the Duke team (via the ionosphere?) that will happen when it is live.
    I expect a very good, hard fought, close game. Duke by 4.

Thompson II was quoted in yesterday's Washington Post as wishing the Hoyas would be "more thuggish" and physical. That says some things regarding the character of the programs and their long-term leadership.

I believe this is truly a matchup of the two best defensive teams in the country. . . and it scares me.

Hopefully Monroe gets a warm welcome from the Cameron Faithful...

Nots so welcome

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Hopefully Monroe gets a warm welcome from the Cameron Faithful...
    Yeh I agree let's make him wish he had chosen Duke and I agree that GT has always appeared to be thuggish(owrd?). Go Duke!

I am really excited for this game. It's a huge test for Duke. The two big advantages for us I see are experience and it's at CIS. It's going to be much like the Steelers-Ravens game, a full blown physical knock down drag out war. Staying out of foul trouble will key. This will be a good one. GO DUKE!!!!!

Is Georgetown's reputation one as a "physical" team (such as we saw with Florida State and Georgia Tech)? The three Georgetown games I have seen this year indicates a slightly muted version of the recent Georgetown finesse teams, with the emphasis on off-ball movement, cutting, backdoors, inverted offenses, and the like. In this match-up, I would think the Duke would come into the game as the team with the more "physical" reputation.

Thumbs up Duke-G'town

Living in the DC area we have to endure a decidedly pro-Terps (and often anti-Duke) media crowd when it comes to the ACC. With MD down, and with their players screaming at "disloyal" fans from the court, the local media seems to have turned it heartstrings towards northwest DC and the campus of Georgetown U. There is an absolute lovefest underway directed at JT3, and his players (esp. Monroe). Personally, I think they expect Monroe to lead them back to the Final 4, if not this year then next. That said, he IS very good.

Greg was going to be the big guy us Dukies had been waiting for ever since Sheldon Williams graduated and went on to the NBA. Greg, after all, had said in print that he was a Duke fan growing up. It just seems odd that he then scheduled visits with us and a couple other schools, but after taking his first official visit (to GT) he committed there and never even visited Duke or the others. It was disappointing to be sure, and probably an impulsive decision. Given that he didn't show up for his (scheduled) visit last year, I'm sure that the Crazies will more than welcome him to Cameron on THIS visit...

The original poster indicated this was the best team we'd played to date, which is odd given the beatdown we delivered to Xavier in the Meadowlands in Dec. (they were ranked around 7th at the time as I recall). Regardless, this has the makings of a terrific match-up of two top-10 teams. This is exactly the kind of team we could meet in the Sweet-16/Elite-8 in a couple of months... Georgetown has that terrific offense, and some good speed, and plays outstanding D. We have similar qualities, but I think we have more depth. Let's hope the coaches use it this time (no more out-of-breath Singler bouncing free-throws off the front of the rim towards game end...).

Hell, this one's so good even the News and Observer might send a reporter to cover us!

-BDBD

P.S. I see Lance Thomas getting some good play in this one, as he would seem to match up better vs Monroe's speed in the post. We'll see...

Marquee Matchup!!

Easily the biggest test for Duke thus far. I think most of us can agree that while they might meet expectations come March, neither Purdue nor Xavier were as good as advertised. That doesn't mean they're not quality wins for Duke but it is what it is.

For people like me, who were still in football mode and "sleepwalked" through most of Duke's first 15 or so games, this is the first really big game of the year. I'm curious to see how we shoot from the field. We haven't shot well in any of our last three games. We might be able to win despite an off night from the field against VT/FSU/GT, but not certainly not Georgetown.

The major advantage I think Duke has is that we're a much deeper team. Whether Krzyzewski decides to use that depth is another question. Zoubek played 19 minutes against GT, which is something I'd like to see continue. But I really do think Plumlee needs to start getting quality minutes because we're going to need him come March.

I envision a lot of great individual battles. I want to see how Henderson plays, especially in an intruiging matchup with Austin Freeman. Nolan is going to have his hands more than full with Chris Wright and Singler vs. DaJuan Summers is another really good matchup. Scheyer vs. Jesse Sapp won't disappoint either. These two teams match up well.

Personally, tomorrow will tell me more about this team than any game we've played thus far. I truly can't wait to see how this all goes down. Go Duke.

Interesting stat

Georgetown has only played 2 true road games this season (ND, PITT). They're 1-1.

Good match up

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Easily the biggest test for Duke thus far. I think most of us can agree that while they might meet expectations come March, neither Purdue nor Xavier were as good as advertised. That doesn't mean they're not quality wins for Duke but it is what it is.

The major advantage I think Duke has is that we're a much deeper team. Whether Krzyzewski decides to use that depth is another question. Zoubek played 19 minutes against GT, which is something I'd like to see continue. But I really do think Plumlee needs to start getting quality minutes because we're going to need him come March.

Personally, tomorrow will tell me more about this team than any game we've played thus far. I truly can't wait to see how this all goes down. Go Duke.
    Good post. I think that this is a big test for us as well. But if we beat GT will people then say GT is not as good as adversised? That's what happened when we beat Purdue and Xavier. As for Zoubek this is a great chance to prove himself. Not that he has to get a double double, but just hold his own on defense and secure rebounds while staying out of foul trouble. I think this may be the game that Greg steps it up and hits outside shots. However I don't think he will get major mins against their quick backcourt. Duke by 3 pts. Go Duke!

Despite playing 10 against 'cuse, the hoyas don't really go that deep. Their starting 5 can play with anyone but there is big drop off once you go to the bench. Hopefully we can tire/foul them out. We don't have an answer for Monroe in the post, and Zoubs has an especially hard time with guys who like to drift out to the perimeter as monroe has shown the ability to do, but I think overall we'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Thompson II was quoted in yesterday's Washington Post as wishing the Hoyas would be "more thuggish" and physical. That says some things regarding the character of the programs and their long-term leadership.
    I am surprised to read that. I thought JTIII was more of a classy than to actually use the word thuggish.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I want to beatdown Georgetown and specifically Greg Monroe in the worst way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    Hoya Suxa
    I don't see how either of these two posts contribute to the discussion. IMO, they only add to the already high level noise on this board and I wish more people would make comments about these types of posts and ask those who post them frequently to stop.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I am surprised to read that. I thought JTIII was more of a classy than to actually use the word thuggish.
    The alleged statement was attrbuted to Thompson II who has had a tendency to stick foot in mouth over the years. I couldn't find the statememnt in the Post and am sceptical about it even coming from the elder Thompson. The original poster should have included a link.