Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Step Up Cameron Crazies!

I would like to thank the entire Duke program, from the coaches and managers to the players to the trainers and the fans, for giving me over 20 plus years of excitement. I have attended games every year and always enjoy myself. However, I felt that this year The Cameron Crazies did not live up to their very high standards. There were fewer chants and cheers, synchronization slipped, and the enthusiasm was certainly lacking. Another observation was cheering while the band was playing, which pretty much cancelled each other out. This certainly is not an attack on The Crazies, hopefully just a wake up call for next year. The team relies on The Crazies. It is their enthusiasm and witty cheers that give the team the extra energy and fire! Duke sets the bar in college basketball, and The Crazies are a HUGE part of their success. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Go Duke!

One thing

I've posted this before, and I'm sure I'll post it again:

Cameron is always loud because of the students. But it only gets jet-engine, broken eardrum loud when the people above the rail stand up and cheer. Think back to every time it got so loud Sweaty Gary had to call a timeout last night, without fail they were the times the old people upstairs were loud. The students are doing everything they can, but Cameron is only truly intimidating when all 9000+ are loud, not just the 1500 students.

Good Point

I will certainly give you credit there. My sister and I sit in the back cheering and the obnoxious Twerp fans in front of us were the only others cheering.

Ahhhhh C Ya,

I have to say I agree completely to your original post. In fact, I came to this board to post the same thing, then read your comments.

I will add that last night I was screaming at the students a few rows below me last night to "wake up." A few turned around and looked at me like I was crazy. Last night was a very big game for our team and the undergrads acted as if we were playing Holy Cross and had exams the next day.

I saw that Gary made some comments about the Crazys a few days ago, and I didn't even bother to read about it, because I knew the students would "step up." In fact, some neutral fans went with me to the game last night and I was telling them how wild things would be - Well, I had to admit that I was wrong, they agreed that things weren't that much different than the RBC Center for State vs. insert middle pack ACC team here.

Oh well. Go Duke. Beat UNC on Sunday!!!

Let's just hope...

we don't ever resort to the ever so original BLUE...WHITE chant they use at the Dean Dome. Shoot me now. But I agree that some of the fans in the upper section could do some more cheering. And what is the deal with the stiffs beside the band? I think half of them had their arms crossed the whole time.

Gotta agree with the posters here. I expected some clever and loud responses after what Gary said before the game. The Crazies had the time and the incentive to do it, but obviously failed to come through. I noticed the dismal number of costumes, painted bodies, signs and gyrations exhibited. It was the perfect set-up for them. I think they failed the team, also. Senior night, the last home game of the season, a team that needs every bit of support this year, negative hype before the game, etc. I did notice, however, more than the usual standing and cheering of the fans sitting above the students. If we got it, why didn't the students get it?
    Last edited by ricks68; 03-01-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: didn't capitalize "Crazies"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhhh C Ya View Post
    we don't ever resort to the ever so original BLUE...WHITE chant they use at the Dean Dome. Shoot me now. But I agree that some of the fans in the upper section could do some more cheering. And what is the deal with the stiffs beside the band? I think half of them had their arms crossed the whole time.
    i think i remember doing this "cheer" during the 80's. one benefit is to get the upstairs yelling.

I have felt like the crowd hasn't been up their "Crazie" standards this year. Last night I caught myself a couple of times yelling at the Crazies to get louder. It seems to me that the crowd is reacting more to the game rather than prompting cheers themselves. I miss the chants and the creativity.

Post revisited

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Perhaps Gary intentionallly is talking aboutthings not related to the game in order to take pressure of of his team. I mean, are you guys talking about the team? Are the Crazies talking about how to work the Maryland players? No, people are complaining about Gary... perhaps he gotcha.

Unless you are a current Cameron Crazy, your opinion of the cheer sheets is neither here not there. I have, and will continue to maintain, that the Crazies are thier own entity and they are neither better nor worse than when you or I were Crazies... they are what they are and they are whatever this incarnation makes them.
    I don't think that last night's crowd was bad. There was no reason to get after Gary. He wanted the Crazies to do so. The Crazies were loud, supportive and did what they could to help the team. I grow weary of this discussion, and really don't know why I continue to respond to these posts about how much the Crazies suck.

Where's my pocket guide?

I really thought that doing exactly nothing would have been really interesting. I mean, like no one putting on face paint, or going mostly silent at certain times. Something that would have made a statement without possibly playing into Gary's hand, if that is what he was looking for, was what I expected from the Crazies. What's wrong with living up to the reputation? If it ain't so important, then why does Coach K so often express his desire for the Crazies to be very involved in support of the team?

ricks

I just want to clarify my opinion

I never said that The Crazies suck. I just think they started something that must be upheld; creative chants, infectious enthusiasm, and a certain swagger that seemed to creep into everyone in Cameron. I feel as though there is almost a lack of leadership among The Crazies, which I find ironic because I feel like the team lacks that on court leadership. I have been to some great sporting venues, and perhaps I am biased being a Duke fan, but there is NOTHING like watching The Cameron Crazies at work. but in all my years of going to Cameron, this has been the least electrifying. And I do agree that the fans in the upper section could yell more, but I know many of them have been there throughout the years, you can't teach an old dog new trick, unless you're The Crazy Towel Guy. All I'm saying is let's make Dickie V proud!!!

The big disappointment to me was upstairs' fans leaving with 2 min to go!

11e!! Is what you were looking for, Mullet Man. "The Cameron Crazies suck now; we were so much cleverer/wilder/more dedicated when I was 20."

Anyways, I agree with Mullet Man that the students were pretty loud last night - I'd definitely say one of the loudest of the season.

However, I also agree with the earlier statement that the cheers were not particularly clever or innovative, and there were not that many signs/painted bodies, etc. There were mostly the generic cheers, but I do think the student section did get fairly loud.

The bigger disappointment to me was the fact that it seemed like 25% of the fans upstairs left with about 2 min to go. We were down about 7-9 pts, I believe at the time, meaning a comeback was definitely improbable, but not impossible. If you argue that the Crazies were not up to snuff during the game showing subpar support for the team, I would suggest that fans leaving when the game is clearly not over shows much more lack of respect to the team.

Just my thoughts.

I'm with MulletMan

These discussions have gotten real old. I was there in the student section, and we were cheering hard for the team; I thought the place was definitely not the most charged-up it's ever been, but still full of energy. We were being supportive of our team to the very end in--let's not forget this--a losing effort. There's only so much you can say to a team that is beating you for the second time this season. We wanted to give our guys (NOT Maryland's guys) energy, and show our guys that we support them. For crying out loud, even Coack K said in his post-game quotes that the crowd was great--but that is apparently not enough for you.

And maybe the more important thing than what we did last night was what we didn't do: we never made fun of DJ Strawberry's dad. Forget the loudness, the cleverness--that is what separates us from other fans.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    These discussions have gotten real old. I was there in the student section, and we were cheering hard for the team; I thought the place was definitely not the most charged-up it's ever been, but still full of energy. We were being supportive of our team to the very end in--let's not forget this--a losing effort. There's only so much you can say to a team that is beating you for the second time this season. We wanted to give our guys (NOT Maryland's guys) energy, and show our guys that we support them. For crying out loud, even Coack K said in his post-game quotes that the crowd was great--but that is apparently not enough for you.

And maybe the more important thing than what we did last night was what we didn't do: we never made fun of DJ Strawberry's dad. Forget the loudness, the cleverness--that is what separates us from other fans.

Preach on.

Now I will conceed that there is a lack of coordination right now with the Crazies. The fact of the matter is that it is a dynamic entity and the changes that the team has undergone were almost mirrored with the Crazies. New face coming in, old faces leaving. Things were a bit different this year.. however, that doesn't mean that next year won't be the best set of Crazies ever.

11E!!

Now if I could only remember who served the beer when all the parties were better...

My apologies

I guess I do rely too much on The Crazies. They have always had the energy, but yes, the upper level was very disappointing. I got a great seat near the balcony, with 3 minutes left, which I was forced to take from my sister because the jerks in front of me were doing their best to piss the crowd off. These guys yelled "And one" after every shot Maryland took hoping for the foul. Even if they got fouled and missed the shot they yelled "And one". Nevertheless, Duke never gave up, neither should the fans. Hello...how many comebacks have we had in Duke history. Not to mention the best in college basketball history, thanks Grant and Christian!

Give me a break

You registered here just to bash the students? Please.

I've been to every game this season and thought it was one of the louder crowds of the year outside of Carolina and the end of the Clemson game. A little disjointed? Yeah, definitely--that I really can't explain. Truth be told, though, I think people like the thread starter should just do their parts and quit b*tching about the students. Get off your asses upstairs; like MulletMan said, the times when Cameron rocks hardest is when the alums are also cheering. People are quick to call out the Crazies for a "down game" or a "down season", but as someone who's literally been attending Duke games since age three, there has been very little change in the environment. There was a certain novelty about the Crazies in the early '90s that perhaps has worn down a bit; rest assured, though, that the spirit and passion of the fans is still as strong as ever.

I agree, Ricks. Just didn't have that "energy." You know what I'm talking about, when you walk into Cameron and you can just feel it?

I think most people are focusing on undergrads here. Grad section has been the most energetic, creative, loud this season and most of the last few seasons, for that matter.

Also, I'm not one of those "we were better fans when I was a student" people, because I did not attend Duke. I have just been an "upstairs fan" for the last 20+ years and crowd enthusiasm has certainly waned recently. Quite frankly, I don't care if the students show up or not, cause I'll be there chearing the Devils either way.

yelling at the Crazies

To those who reported actually yelling at the Crazies to "step it up," etc: I'm laughing at you right now. Not with you, at you.

Can't we all just get along?

I never posted this thread to attack anyone, just constructive criticism. Maybe those of you that are replying to this thread were in the "loud" section of The Crazies, but there is no convincing me that The Crazies match years past. Granted, the early 90s probably won't be matched again, not with the success we enjoyed, but if there is a group of players that need support, it's this one. That is from the Crazies all the way up to the rafters! The only reason I called out The Crazies is because I know they would not like the criticism, and would prove me wrong! Have a great weekend, and Beat the Tar Heels!

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    To those who reported actually yelling at the Crazies to "step it up," etc: I'm laughing at you right now. Not with you, at you.
    I feel so humiliated.