Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury recovery

Injury recovery

I've thrown my back out. Any suggestions on how to make it better, or at least less painful?

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    I've thrown my back out. Any suggestions on how to make it better, or at least less painful?
    Alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

Just kidding. Sorry you hurt yourself and hope you recovery quickly!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Here's what I've learned to do....

Take something like Advil, aspirin or Tylenol. Try a warm, not hot, heating pad to relax muscles if you're having muscle spasms. If the injury is one that may include some muscle swelling, try a cold pack. When lying down,lie on your side with a pillow between the knees. If you do lie down on your back, put a pillow under your knees. After resting a couple of hours, get up and walk around a little. Walking can actually help with the recovery. If you're having muscle spasms severe enough to immobilize you, go ahead and call for an appointment to see your doctor. At some point ( 1-2 weeks), if the pain has subsided, but the problem is still there some physical therapy might be helpful to get you back to normal. I've also found acupuncture or therapeutic massage to be helpful.

I can't believe Greybeard is not all over this...

I'm just waiting for someone to quote Never Say Never Again.

I find that when my back hurts, I just need to watch some old school Bill Murray and "it will fix itself."

Il Returno de Hercules

Sorry I don't have any help to offer. I do hope you feel better soon. Maybe a laugh will help.

If it's muscle spasms I'd suggest the prescription muscle relaxant flexeril. I don't know if it really relaxed the muscles, but it certainly relaxed my memory of the pain and I didn't care nearly as much. After the acute phase I had physical therapy which consisted mostly of exercises to strengthen my core.

I can't offer any medical advice, but I can offer my condolences. I've had back problems ever since high school (played football). I wish you the best of the luck in recovery. Vibes!

Need a more clear definition of "thrown my back out." I had back surgery three years ago. I'm guessing it's your lower back. Sleep on your back with a pillow or three under your knees and keep an ice pack on your back for ten minutes, wait 30 minutes, then ice again to reduce inflammation.

Take Ibuprofin and DEMAND Darvacet, Percocet, Oxycontin or something else from your doctor. They easily proscribe it these days and it does wonders.

And to Ozzie's point, alcohol. Just don't mix too much with the pain killers if you get them.

Best of luck to you. Very painful stuff.

-EarlJam

Echoing earlier advice - anti-inflammatory pain meds (alleve/naproxen, or advil/ibuprofen) or if you can get them, muscle relaxants. It's tempting to stay flat on your back to avoid pain, but getting up and about is better in the long run. Alternating heat and ice, or whichever feels better, will help either ease muscle pain or reduce inflamed nerves/tissue respectively.

Once you can, start getting in the habit of doing back stretches - it's made a huge difference in decreasing my amount of routine back stiffness/pain. Here's a good set: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/...kStretches.htm
    Sorry, man. It's been just over a year since I threw my back out -- so I (figuratively) feel your pain.

If it's muscular, then anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen work best for me. And those heat pads that you can stick to your back help when you need to move around. AND YOU NEED TO MOVE AROUND. If it's muscular, the more you lie around the stiffer your back will be. It will loosen up the more you walk around. I don't do muscle relaxers. Or narcotics. Maybe a personal thing.

If it's a disk, lying around is better when you're not in PT. And you'll need PT. With a herniated disk, being upright, especially standing in one place is just masochistic.

I've had both, but you get over the muscular problem faster. It just hurts like hell. ***NOTE All of my problems have been in the lower back.

I hurt my back over the summer and as it was pretty bad, couldn't move, I went to urgent care and was given muscle relaxers and pain meds. The pain meds didn't really do anything for me, but the muscle relaxers REALLY helped. I was also given a prescription for 800 mgs of ibuprofen, which also helped.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My back hates me. When it gets real bad I try to move alot, it actually helps the pain to keep it active. (Not at first, it hurts like hell then, but it gets better) It gets worse when I'm sitting around. I also get back spasms, and I have no clue for those. I just stand still and try not to grimace strangely in public. Weird thing is I get those mostly frequently at football games, even just walking around the parking lots.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here's to a speedy recovery!

The last few weeks my back was sore in the lower right side. I noticed that the way my desk is configured, I was using the mouse with my right hand and leaning to the left a lot. I moved things around a little and am much more conscious of keeping balanced. That seems to have helped.

Although somewhat unorthodox and perhaps controversial, hanging upside down for a few minutes each day helps my back. Even lying on the floor with my legs and feet propped up on the couch helps.

Also, when you are up to it, strengthening the abdominal muscles will help a lot. I don't know your fitness level, so this may not be an issue for you. But a strong core provides natural balance and takes load off of the back.

Sorry about the back. I've had both muscular and disc issues for several years. A lot of stretching (of which I do not do enough) helps tremendously. I let myself go completely and am paying the price trying to get back into shape now. My back cannot take some of the ab exercises. Heat helps before activity, with ice afterwards to hold down swelling. I find it is important for me to stretch the hamstrings and glutes, particularly on the left side where my issues lie. Correct posture is also helpful. Can't wait to hear from Greybeard!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Sorry about the back. I've had both muscular and disc issues for several years. A lot of stretching (of which I do not do enough) helps tremendously. I let myself go completely and am paying the price trying to get back into shape now. My back cannot take some of the ab exercises. Heat helps before activity, with ice afterwards to hold down swelling. I find it is important for me to stretch the hamstrings and glutes, particularly on the left side where my issues lie. Correct posture is also helpful. Can't wait to hear from Greybeard!
    I can just about ditto your entire post word-for-word! Getting old sucks, and my back problems started in college!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Getting old sucks
    Hi,

It sure beats the alternative.

My back advice is to make sure you do not have disc problems before starting any type of abdominal exercises. I had/have back problems, went to a PT, he recommended abdominal exercises, I did them and ruptured a herniated disc thanks to his brilliant advice. Be careful!

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Foam Roller

In addition to the above recommendations, I would suggest buying a foam roller. I find that it has helped my back (and hamstrings, buttocks, etc.) a lot.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...FoamRoller.htm

^They have the foam rollers at my gym but I could not figure out their use. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    ^They have the foam rollers at my gym but I could not figure out their use. Thanks.
    Does your gym have trainers? You gotta ask what equipment is for.

Oh and doing exercises improperly can also lead to further back pain. That's the first thing I thought about when hearing of the injury after the ab work.