Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 68, Maryland 65

Monday night we get another big test on where this team was at. They weathered a better ranked team in Stanford, but I expect this game to be just as hard fought if not more so. Wish I could be there, but I'll have my eyes glued to the TV. I think if our offense is not working, and our turnovers are high Maryland is going to make us pay dearly to the point we lose by a lot. They are a good shooting team, and even with our top notch defense we can't give them an edge by not holding our own when we have the ball. I hope Cameron is packed to the Crow's Nest. GO DUKE!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Monday night we get another big test on where this team was at. They weathered a better ranked team in Stanford, but I expect this game to be just as hard fought if not more so. Wish I could be there, but I'll have my eyes glued to the TV. I think if our offense is not working, and our turnovers are high Maryland is going to make us pay dearly to the point we lose by a lot. They are a good shooting team, and even with our top notch defense we can't give them an edge by not holding our own when we have the ball. I hope Cameron is packed to the Crow's Nest. GO DUKE!
    I'm hopeful for a good crowd tomorrow night too. There was a much better crowd against Miami than I expected based on early season attendance so I am thinking a lot of people have perhaps been waiting for the ACC season.

There should be a good student turn-out for this one. Go Duke

I sure hope the students show up! Their attendance at the games so far has been pitiful! We could really use their cheers on Monday night. There was a good crowd at the Miami game on Friday, but, with no students in attendence, there was little organized cheering.

Spear the Turtle!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    I sure hope the students show up! Their attendance at the games so far has been pitiful! We could really use their cheers on Monday night. There was a good crowd at the Miami game on Friday, but, with no students in attendence, there was little organized cheering.
    Completely agree -- we're trying very hard to increase student attendance!

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    ... there was little organized cheering.
    I read this post to my husband and he said "Hey, I'm not little!"

He is one of the people standing in the back row of the bleachers behind the bench. I sometimes stand with them but usually sit across from them in the first row upstairs (in Crazy Towel Guy's row).

It would be great to see a big crowd of all types of fans for this game. I remember two years ago Coach G commenting something to the effect that the sold out Maryland game, while not the first sellout by a long shot, was the first one where they felt the entire arena was cheering hard for the Duke team (as opposed to fans of opponents or people just there to see "the big game", I assume she meant).

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I read this post to my husband and he said "Hey, I'm not little!"

He is one of the people standing in the back row of the bleachers behind the bench. I sometimes stand with them but usually sit across from them in the first row upstairs (in Crazy Towel Guy's row).

It would be great to see a big crowd of all types of fans for this game. I remember two years ago Coach G commenting something to the effect that the sold out Maryland game, while not the first sellout by a long shot, was the first one where they felt the entire arena was cheering hard for the Duke team (as opposed to fans of opponents or people just there to see "the big game", I assume she meant).
    I was at that game as a student. What fun!!! I still have my tee shirt from that one. Go Duke!!

I rarely watch women's basketball but tonight's game sounds like it will be very competitive. For interest, the Post had an article on the Terps JC transfer, Dee Liles, who apparently is a very good leaper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011102036.html

gw67

I liked what I saw in the Stanford game, and what I've been hearing about the others, so I'm hopeful tonight will be a great game. Maryland definitely has the ability to give us a very hard time, so be on your toes tonight, ladies! GO BLUE DEVILS!

Toliver is flat-out good. Can Duke's vaunted pressing defense work against a scoring point guard of this caliber?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I would love to see us shut down Toliver in her last Cameron outing, our defense will be tough for her. Just found out that I have a family event scheduled for 7 at the kids' school, grrr, so I will miss at least the first half. Stupid school.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I would love to see us shut down Toliver in her last Cameron outing, our defense will be tough for her. Just found out that I have a family event scheduled for 7 at the kids' school, grrr, so I will miss at least the first half. Stupid school.
    I'll be a political fund raiser. Stupid politics.

Watching now...we miss soooo amny close shots and uncontested layups. Our shooting is atrocious.

Watching now...we miss soooo amny close shots and uncontested layups. Our shooting is atrocious.
    After I said that it improved a bit, including two bombers from Abby, she is playing well.

40-29 Duke leads at half, says ESPN.

Coaching matters.

I only got to see the second half, and I thought it was quite ugly. But a win against the Terps is always great!

Tough game

The 34.2% shooting percentage was ugly, even worse than Maryland's 38.6%. But on the positive side, Duke outrebounded Maryland 54-37 and went 12-14 from the free throw line compared to only 2-6. Thomas was really impressive in the final minute.

Abby was absolutely hammered by two different players on the next to last inbounds, and we were fortunate that they knocked the ball out of bounds. I know that the refs don't like to decide games, but that tag team was a bit much.

Finally, based on the double-blow off handshake, there doesn't seem to be too much love lost between the two coaches, although the players seem to get along. All I can say is that if I were Coach P I wouldn't want to touch Brenda Frese either.

Here's a post game quote for you:

"It's a little too early in the season to break the Dukies' hearts," Toliver said with a smile.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...ry/391633.html

I'm still trying to figure out if this upsets me or amuses me since she stuggled mightily tonight.