Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke-Davidson announcers

An interesting twist.

From ESPN release.

"ESPN's NBA and college basketball commentators will switch roles on Wednesday, Jan. 7, during a special basketball doubleheader. Mike Tirico and analysts Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy will call Davidson at Duke at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Dan Shulman and Hall of Famer Dick Vitale (who is in his 30th year with ESPN) providing commentary when the Denver Nuggets host the Miami Heat at 9 p.m. (both games on ESPN).

Vitale, who last called an NBA game on ESPN in 1984, said: "It’s been over two decades since I’ve worked an NBA game, but basketball is basketball at all levels and a free throw is still worth a point. Seeing such talented players as Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony – two players who have gone from Diaper Dandies to Rolls Royce superstars – will bring back so many memories of their incredible performances as college standouts."

Jackson, a standout at St. John's University in the mid-1980's, said: "I'm a fan of basketball at all levels. As a former college player, I've always enjoyed watching Dick Vitale and the energy and passion he has for the game. I can't wait to step inside Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first time, because the energy inside that place is going to be unbelievable." "

Van Gundy, an assistant coach at Providence College and Rutgers University in the late 1980's, said: “I’ve never been to Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I can’t wait to see the atmosphere in person. From an X’s and O’s standpoint, I’m looking forward to see how Duke defends Stephen Curry.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Interesting indeed. Vitale doing an NBA game will be pointless. The game is so fast paced, by the time he meanders from his one legitimate comment about the game at hand to his comment that has nothing to do with anything happening on the court, the first quarter will be already over.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I like it. I have never watched a game with Tirico, Jackson and Van Gundy, but it will be nice to hear a new take on the game rather than Vitale or Elmore again. Plus it gives the Crazies an opportunity to be creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    I like it. I have never watched a game with Tirico, Jackson and Van Gundy, but it will be nice to hear a new take on the game rather than Vitale or Elmore again. Plus it gives the Crazies an opportunity to be creative.
    The Jackson/Van Gundy pairing is probably the best commentating duo in basketball right now. They have a good rapport, which brings levity to the games they cover. But they are both recently enough removed from the game that they bring abundant insight into what's going on behind the action instead of repeating cliches or following vapid and superficial storylines.

I can't wait to hear them work a Duke game. Hallelujah!

Every time somebody criticizes van Gundy I think back to a Lakers playoff game in which Kobe lined up on the block during a Vujacic one and one. Van Gundy said, "Keep an eye on Kobe here. Nobody talks about it, but I always put in my scouting reports that he is the best offensive rebounder in the league off of missed free throws. He makes a move to the lane and then comes around the outside for the put back." What happens next? Exactly that. Kobe does the move and rebounds the ball for the put back. It was pretty impressive... I mean, who calls that kind of a play?

He is just a great color commentary guy... maybe a bit harsh sometimes, but very knowledgeable.

When I first saw Jim's Thread Duke-Davidson announcers I said to myself that I hope it's the G-Man. Then I thought pleaseeeeee not Elmore or Vitale. Well this crew should be ok and I'm looking forward to it. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Interesting indeed. Vitale doing an NBA game will be pointless. The game is so fast paced, by the time he meanders from his one legitimate comment about the game at hand to his comment that has nothing to do with anything happening on the court, the first quarter will be already over.
    Vitale did the national radio broadcast for the 1987 NBA Finals. That was Celtics/Lakers, far more fast-paced than anything the nba puts out today. However, he wasn't full of himself back then.

Great idea. Cant really say anything more except thats its an awesome idea!! Change of people will bring in something fresh and not the same old same old.

I like van Gundy a lot, but I have to point out that Duke will be defending it's goal, not Stephen Curry. They will defend against Stephen Curry.

No one will "score the basketball either", for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Dick Vitale, as enthusiastic and passionate as he is, last had a "legitimate comment about the game at hand" around, oh, about 1994 or so.

So glad I searched before posting

This was news to me when I read it online today-- glad I checked around before posting my excited new thread! I am very excited about this-- as much to get some veteran NBA impressions of scheyer, henderson and smith as to see what they have to say about their first experiences in Cameron. Another reason to mark that game on our schedules.

Jeff Van Gundy

The Crazies, or someone , needs to hold up a sign asking JVG to tell his brother SVG to please trade JJ!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The Crazies, or someone , needs to hold up a sign asking JVG to tell his brother SVG to please trade JJ!
    That's a great idea. It could maybe be turned into a chant too?

JJ Redick ---- Tell your brother,
    Dynomite! ---- Please trade JJ!

A little graduate section to undergraduate section cheer? Or a sign would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    That's a great idea. It could maybe be turned into a chant too?

JJ Redick ---- Tell your brother,
    Dynomite! ---- Please trade JJ!

A little graduate section to undergraduate section cheer? Or a sign would suffice.
    Bad idea. We need to concentrate on Duke, not the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Bad idea. We need to concentrate on Duke, not the NBA.
    True. I'm still for a sign though.

A take on Duke, ESPN announcer swap

SearchingForBillyEdelin.com

Duke prevails, Jeff Van Gundy hates college basketball players

Pretty good stuff

I liked the article on unc not going undefeated. Yeh and BC really looked good last night. Along with the article on the Gators, Dupay..accused of rape. Wow. Florida's got it going. Go Duke!

new broadcast booth in Cameron?

this is the first Cameron game i had a chance to watch on tv this season.

the booth that Mark Jackson, JVG, and Tirico were sitting in seemed rather "posh", which is to say it looks nothing like the nosebleed section where all the other broadcast teams have sat before.
    was this part of recent renovations?

i kind of enjoyed the quirky view when a camera would pan out from the broadcast booth and you'd see them way up high - but they obviously enjoyed the game no less.

things done changed.

No wonder I don't watch the NBA.

Leave it to Jeff Van Gundy to be outraged at good defense after whining about the offensive fouls during the game. Go back to the NBA and its money-grubbing semi-circle rule, Jeff.

I liked the commentary, much preferred it to the usual ESPN offerings.

Two things I thought were interesting:

Their reaction to the block/charge calls and a feeling that the current rules and interpretation hurt the overall game flow. The broken lines around the basket that the NBA uses to rule out a charge call makes sense to me.

JVG's explanation of how and why a step back move works better when the player is moving in the direction of his weak hand. That's the kind of technical analysis that adds something to a broadcast.