Rate the Season/Championship Determination

The five team sports I follow most closely are college basketball, college football, major league baseball, pro football, and pro basketball. Follow women's basketball and women's college golf but not as closely.

In my opinion college football has the best season but the worst method of determining a champion. For the top teams each game in the season can be important. Basically I love it. I don't like the BCS and there are plenty of comments on that on another thread.

College basketball's season is, in my opinion, a notch below college footballs. There are just too many teams and games for me. Also the games do not matter as much. I do love March Madness. While it may not determine the best team it does determine a champion.

I like both the pro football season and playoffs. I would rank their season second to college football and their playoffs second to college basketball.

Baseball and pro basketball have seasons that are too long. The baseball playoffs start too late but I like them better than pro basketball's which take forever.

Your thoughts.
    SoCal

I maintain that college basketball is the greatest sport, but note something. Every season ends with an anticlimax: a meaningless post-tournament poll. Aside from a few curiosities (how high will they rank George Mason after making the 1996 Final Four?), it's of very little interest to anyone.

Compare to college football, where the final poll carries a bit of drama, and is still newsworthy in the BCS era. Those who advocate a playoff system -- and I am certainly among them -- might make college football look a little bit like college basketball, and that isn't all upside.

To answer your question...

Regular season (using the every-game-counts mentality):
    1. NFL
    2. College football
    3. College basketball
    4. NBA
    5. MLB

Whenever the NFL institutes a Week 18, few will object.

Postseason:
    1. College basketball
    2. NFL
    3. MLB
    4. NBA
    5. College football

Could be based on where I live, but I can't help but think there could be a more definitive ranking of these sports based on gambling action. Certainly helps that the gridiron is a once-a-week event, while the others are more frequent, harder to gauge, and less anticipated.

Shows how much I'm paying attention. George Mason, of course, made the 2006 Final Four.

He also sacrificed himself in season 2 of 24.