Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Count me among those disgusted and depressed by the Smoltz news.

I could accept it if the Red Sox had thrown a stupid, long-term contract at him (kind of like the Braves gave Hampton a few years ago). But to see that they only had to risk ONE YEAR and and something like $5 million (chicken feed in today's market) makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes, Smoltz is old (he'll turn 42 during the season) and he's coming off injury. But he's bounced back from surgery before, has a good prognosis and, as Chipper said, he's the face of the franchise -- the only guy who was there for the entire run of division titles.

If the Braves couldn't have offered one year for $5 million (again, based on Chipper's comments, I'm pretty certain he'd have taken the Braves' money ahead the the Red Sox cash) ... I'm pissed.

I hear the Braves are talking to Derek Lowe now. Of course, they talked to AJ Burnett and Rafael Furcal too and didn't get them. And they were long rated the favorite to trade for Peavy. I'll celebrate when they actually sign somebody ... and even then I'll be resentful over the Smoltz screwup.

PS Isn't it about time to retire this thread and start a 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    PS Isn't it about time to retire this thread and start a 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread?
    Yes, and I will even let you start it

-Jason

Count me among those disgusted and depressed by the Smoltz news.

I could accept it if the Red Sox had thrown a stupid, long-term contract at him (kind of like the Braves gave Hampton a few years ago). But to see that they only had to risk ONE YEAR and and something like $5 million (chicken feed in today's market) makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes, Smoltz is old (he'll turn 42 during the season) and he's coming off injury. But he's bounced back from surgery before, has a good prognosis and, as Chipper said, he's the face of the franchise -- the only guy who was there for the entire run of division titles.

If the Braves couldn't have offered one year for $5 million (again, based on Chipper's comments, I'm pretty certain he'd have taken the Braves' money ahead the the Red Sox cash) ... I'm pissed.

I hear the Braves are talking to Derek Lowe now. Of course, they talked to AJ Burnett and Rafael Furcal too and didn't get them. And they were long rated the favorite to trade for Peavy. I'll celebrate when they actually sign somebody ... and even then I'll be resentful over the Smoltz screwup.

I'm fairly certain the Rockies gave Hampton that contract. The Braves mistake was in trading for him...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm fairly certain the Rockies gave Hampton that contract. The Braves mistake was in trading for him...
    I believe that is correct. IIRC, I think the Rockies picked up a significant portion of that contract, too. Doesn't help that much however when you get very little production out of that player for several years.

Red face Fan reaction

Hmm, sounds like the reaction to the Smoltz news is pretty serious.

A "lifelong Braves fan" is selling his heart and soul on eBay. The "condition" of the product up for bid is "Used."

So far, 25 bids have been made.

There's a link to it on ajc.com's sports page.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Question Now that Smoltz is gone ...

Serious question:
    What active MLB player currently has the longest tenure with just one team?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Serious question:
    What active MLB player currently has the longest tenure with just one team?
    Derek Jeter would come to mind first but I haven't looked up any stats. Before him, a couple of years ago maybe Bernie Williams.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Probably so on Jeter, my second thought was Halladay with the Blue Jays but he hasn't been in the league as long.

Red face Chipper beats Jeter

Chipper was called up by the Braves at the end of 1993. That has Jeter (1995) beat.

Surely there's someone who has Chipper beat.

not jeter

Actually, our own Larry "Chipper" Jones has a longer tenure than Jeter.

Jones made his debut with the Braves late in the 1993 season. He missed 1994 with an injury, then became a fulltime starter in 1995 -- the same year Jeter made his debut with the Yankees.

There may be somebody I'm overlooking, but of the two, Chipper definitely predates Jeter.

What an awesome left side of the infield!

Props to Lavabe ... you are faster on the trigger.

Nope, there isn't. The only thing of note is that the Yankees also have Posada and Rivera with similar tenure as Jeter.

Word on the street is that the Braves signed Derek Lowe to a 4 year $60 million dollar contract.

Red face A fearsome foursome?

Word on the street is that the Braves signed Derek Lowe to a 4 year $60 million dollar contract.
    sportsillustrated.cnn.com confirms this AND has the Braves signing a Japanese pitcher, Kenshin Kawakami.

Well, now their rotation is shaping up as:
    Lowe, Kawakami, Jurrgens, and Javier Vasquez. Campillo or Glavine (in the second half of the year, if he signs) might be the fifth starter.

What's up with Ben Sheets?

I've always like Lowe as a pitcher, he doesn't have overwhelming stuff but if your team can field behind him you'll do fine.

Not sure what is happening with Ben Sheets, haven't heard any rumors about him lately.

I am a big fan of the Lowe signing. The guy was lights out the final few months of last season (6-1 with an ERA of 1.27 in his last 10 starts of the season) and has a long career of being durable and reliable. Plus, he has tons of pennant run and playoff experience. That's a big plus if we are gonna challenge the Mets and Phils.

I would much, much, much rather sign Lowe than AJ Burnett -- not even a close call in my mind.

I like the Japanese signing. This guy would have been in MLB a couple years ago if his Japanese team had agreed to let him out of his contract. His arm is still quite young because the Japanese teams go with 6-man rotations and he does not throw on the side as much as some other Japanese pitchers.

Suddenly, the rotation is looking pretty good. Vasquez does not have to be a #2 pitcher, he is likely your #4... and he's pretty good for a #4 guy. Oh, and if we are in a stretch run, Hudson could be back in August. That could make for a fabulous rotation, perhaps the best in the NL.

I approve.

--Jason "I am having lunch with Frank Wrenn tomorrow-- I'll le ya'll know what he says" Evans

Count me among those utterly disgusted by the Smoltz signing. I know he's injury-prone but I think five million dollars would have been a great high-risk, high-reward move by the Braves (just the kind we need to get back into contention) while keeping a beloved player with the Braves.

Talking about former players, Andruw Jones was caught at the duke game tonight wearing a Braves hat Possible return to the Braves? Personally, I'm ambivalent as I love him for what he did in a Braves uniform... but that last year was horrifying. As for our rotation, I'm surprised Jason put Vasquez at #4. I was seeing him as our definite #2 (and trending upwards) even with the Lowe signing. He's always had the stuff but not the mental makeup.

What would you call Jurrjens in that case?

What would you call Jurrjens in that case?
    I'd call Jurrjens our #3 starter. He started out like gangbusters last year, but tired late. He's young, needs to work on his control, and is not the innings eater that Lowe or Vasquez is. If we were to play a playoff series tomorrow, I think we would opt for the experience of Lowe and Vasquez over Jurrjens, no?

Andruw Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    Talking about former players, Andruw Jones was caught at the duke game tonight wearing a Braves hat Possible return to the Braves? Personally, I'm ambivalent as I love him for what he did in a Braves uniform.
    I too saw the Jones sighting at the Duke-Tech game ... the ESPN commentator noted that there are rumors that he's about to resign with the Braves.

I am also ambivilent about that -- I think the guy's washed up (I thought so when the Braves let him go to LA), but who knows? He had one of the most abrupt offensive declines of any established player in modern times (that was not injury-related) ... maybe he can have one of the most remarkable comebacks too.

I'm not counting on it. If the Braves can get him cheap to serve as a CF bridge to the arrival of their great young OF prospects, fine. But I hope (and assume) there's no longterm commitment involved. Give him a try, but if he remains the offensive back hole he's been the last two years, dump him fast.

I like the pitching pickups ... although I continue to be baffled why the Braves couldn't match the Red Sox's short-term deal with Smoltz.

I like the pitching pickups ... although I continue to be baffled why the Braves couldn't match the Red Sox's short-term deal with Smoltz.

Boston offers a fairly good chance at making the playoffs this year, something that might be important at this stage of his career.