Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm behind you 110%!!! Where do I sign??

"And Joe Alleva let her go"

he let a door get opened that did not need to be opened and should not have been opened. the comments he made on TV last night were the ones he should have made three weeks ago instead of the foot-in-mouth ones he made.

we will never again have a coach of her quality heading the women's bball program. we will become clemson.

he MUST go.

this is what HE lost...

7 straight years of at least 30 wins
    4 Final Fours, with two appearances in the national title game
    7 Elite Eights
    10 straight Sweet 16 appearances
    5 ACC Tournament titles
    3 undefeated ACC regular seasons
    7 ACC Coach of the Year awards
    8 National Coach of the Year awards
    Best won/loss percentage of any men's or women's head coach in ACC history (over 80 percent)
    Last edited by grossbus; 04-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Coach G was a shining light I could always count on to make me feel Duke was a great place. She didn't whine about the refs after losses. She didn't have showboats craving the spotlight. She didn't pretend she was bigger than she was. She was class personified. And now she's left.
    Since he's arrived at Duke, Joe Alleva has made from awful hires, which have been well documented. The fact he has to make another one scares me to death.
    I guess we truly didn't appreciate the good times while they were here.
    If Alleva was at a state university, he would have been fired long ago. Why he hasn't at Duke is beyond me. This should be the end for him. And this isn't some unreasonable quest to have an official fired because he's lost a game. He's embarrassed the university with the boating incident, Carl Franks and the baseball team. It's time someone was held accountable.
    I guess he won't be happy until all programs are as inept as the football team has been.
    This is truly an awful day.

why texas?

chris plonsky, the texas women's AD, is a good friend and positively the best at her job in the nation. everybody agreed on that when she was in the big east, where I first met her. the difference for gail will be that plonsky will be proactive. she will ask gail what she needs and she'll get it, because she will only ask for things she needs. that never happened at duke and won't under the present administration. for the most part, duke has an extraordinary record in athletics. I always wondered what it would be with good leadership, from the allen building down.

The Real Question for Duke

Quote Originally Posted by bill brill View Post
    I always wondered what it would be with good leadership, from the allen building down.
    Bill Brill knows what he is talking about. Brodhead needs to decide if he wants Duke to be the best it can be in athletics or not. If he does then Brodhead needs to a real athletic director. If not, then he might as well say so and then find out what the alumni want.

SoCal

Thanks for posting Mr. Brill. Quite frankly, I'd be happy if there was some clear, consistent, supportive, imaginative leadership simply in the athletic department. Yes, there are terrific peple who work hard there and the athletic teams have done well in recent years. However, there needs to be a change at the top. That position is too important to countenance the errors in judgement (Hiller, his house, boat accident etc. etc.) and the PR gaffes that apparently continue.

Disappointed In Both Alleva and Coach K

Judging from the past, this post will probably not be posted because it criticizes Coach K but I will try anyway.

I think that a message of some sort was sent to the Women's program when neither Alleva nor Coach K could find the time to travel to Greensboro, North Carolina to cheer on the women's team after the men's team had been eliminatede from the tournament.

I bet that if the circumstances were reversed you would have seen something different from Coach G. She is a class act and I will be rooting for Texas every game except when they play Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    To show unity in our disgust towards Joe Alleva, I suggest we all boycott football games in the fall.
    Nobody goes anyway.

I can't disagree with that.
    If Dick Baddour can find time to fly to Dallas, TX to watch the UNC woman play for a trip to the Final Four the day after the men's team gets eliminated, then taking a 45-minute drive to Greensboro a week AFTER the Duke men get eliminated is the least Alleva could have done. Krzyzewski does have some recruiting matters to tend to. What's Alleva's excuse?

"I always wondered what it would be with good leadership, from the allen building down."

don't we all. and won't we continue to.

What about the Iron Dukes, by the way? I'm not an expert on how they work, but I was disappointed in the Iron Duke quote in the AP article, and I'm kind of wondering why they haven't applied pressure to get rid of Alleva before. If we're talking about leadership at the top of the athletics department, their role has something to do with that, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Judging from the past, this post will probably not be posted because it criticizes Coach K but I will try anyway.

I think that a message of some sort was sent to the Women's program when neither Alleva nor Coach K could find the time to travel to Greensboro, North Carolina to cheer on the women's team after the men's team had been eliminatede from the tournament.

I bet that if the circumstances were reversed you would have seen something different from Coach G. She is a class act and I will be rooting for Texas every game except when they play Duke.
    give me a break. it's not k's job to cheerlead the women's team. the vcu loss was disappointing enough for him. you then expected him to trot on down to greensboro only to be hounded by the media and public about what a downer of a season he had. moreover, if he had shown up, it would have been a major distraction because, quite frankly, he would get a lot more attention than the game at hand. i remember reading on here earlier in the year that a major reason why he doesn't go to women's games is that he knows that he will take away a lot of attention from the game at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Joe Alleva was in attendance in Greensboro. I know because I was there, too.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-03-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

First I would like to say that I'm as upset as anyone that Coach G left. However, when a coach chooses to leave Duke - my Duke - our Duke for another school, especially a large state school in Texas, I can only say that I do not wish them ill will but I certainly don't wish them luck. I say save all the luck for our girls and the new coach. Coach G is now the competition. Sure she's not in our conference and I will always look back on what she did for Duke with pride and the utmost respect. That is all in the past now. Any championship she wins in the future is a championship we will have not have won. Any all-american recruit she gets at Texas is a potential all-american that could have come to Duke. So here's to hoping that Coach G wins plenty of Big 12 championships but I hope beyond hope that she never finds success in the NCAA tournament or on the recruiting trail at the expense of those who choose to call Duke THEIR school. Thanks for the memories Coach G - but as of about 4:30 this afternoon they are only memories - fond memories but memories nonetheless. I just hope the girls and recruits she left behind have the opportunity to show her that she made a big mistake today.

Duke Women's Basketball 2008 Champions!!!!

chris plonsky, the texas women's AD, is a good friend and positively the best at her job in the nation. everybody agreed on that when she was in the big east, where I first met her.
    Hmmmmm. Maybe Chris Plonsky would like to be Duke A.D.?

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Poptart View Post
    Hmmmmm. Maybe Chris Plonsky would like to be Duke A.D.?
    Now that's an inspired, imaginative idea....but I doubt the "good ole boys" could ever accept a female AD no matter how competent she is.

Are there really that many "good ole boys" at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by ncnygirl View Post
    Now that's an inspired, imaginative idea....but I doubt the "good ole boys" could ever accept a female AD no matter how competent she is.

Hi,

I know this might sound nieve, but it always seemed to me that Duke was rather progressive on many fronts. Besides the obvious of having Nan as President, I thought being a dean was a job that was traditionally held by women because every dean I had at Duke was held by a woman. It wasn't until I got to Stanford that I learned that women dean's aren't that common. Now, the academic side of the house and the athletic side are not the same. However, I can't see President Brodhead being against a woman or an African-American or a minority of any sort. He just does not strike me as that sort of person. He seems inclusive to me. Then again, maybe he is just one voice in a see of voices and decision makers.

GO DUKE!

Agree completely with your assessment of President Brodhead. My comments were directed to other "powers" exerting influence in the Duke athletic department firmament.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Brodhead needs to decide if he wants Duke to be the best it can be in athletics or not. If he does then Brodhead needs to a real athletic director. If not, then he might as well say so and then find out what the alumni want.
    Does the Duke leadership really care what the alumni think? More and more I get the feeling that it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ncnygirl View Post
    But, I've read in these posts that Texas has a men's AD AND women's AD, separate from each other, each responsible for men's and women's teams. Can that be done at Duke? It doesn't fix the football or baseball or lacrosse problems, but it may "help" the women's teams / programs...