Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fire Joe Alleva dot com

It was inevitable, wasn't it?

http://fire.joealleva.com/

The website says it is in early development and that a blog will be coming up soon.

-Jason "the only argument I can come up with in support of Mr. Alleva is that K really, really liked him at one time" Evans

Really early developments obviously.
    Gostenkors? competant?

Just kidding. I'm sure it was written out of frustration, and they'll catch that soon.
    Last edited by LetItBD08; 04-03-2007 at 04:04 PM.

In support of Alleva

There are twelve mens sports, eight of which I know to be scholarship sports. Duke is a national power in six of those sports, and are reasonably competitive in a seventh (cross country).

There are twelve womens sports (and I don't know which of them are scholarship sports or not), and Duke has one of the top programs in eight of those sports.

In recent years, he has overseen the building of a new football building and soon to be a new basketball building, and the rest of the facilities are significantly improved since I started in the Fall of 1998.

I'm not sure it's fair to ask a whole lot more out of the athletic director than the above. Duke placed eighth in last year's Directors Cups standings, third among private schools behind Stanford, which has 31 varsity sports, and Notre Dame, which has the same number of sports as Duke. Other private schools on the list in the top 50: Southern Cal (10th), Northwestern (29th), BYU (31st), Baylor (32nd), Miami (FL) (42nd), Wake Forest (44th), Princeton (42nd), and SMU (49th).

As an alum, I was embarrassed at the time of the DWI last spring, but is that cause for firing the man? I don't know.

I do believe, however, that people get absurdly reactionary when calling for a man to lose his job. Sports is a weird industry in that regard: I can't think of another where people actively call for taking a man's livelihood away. And I think such calls should be reserved for much more serious situations than the fact that a coach decides to take another job.
    Last edited by dcarp23; 04-03-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Not as many private schools as I thought

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    And I think such calls should be reserved for much more serious situations than the fact that a coach decides to take another job.
    I'm certainly glad that there haven't been any serious situations for Duke athletics in recent months.

And I think such calls should be reserved for much more serious situations than the fact that a coach decides to take another job.
    Time will probably tell, but for various reason I feel like we just gave up the Coach K (1990ish) of the women's college basketball world. A coach who clearly has the ability and the know-how, but has just not had the dice roll well enough to get the big one yet.

And Joe Alleva let her go.

Reason enough to me.

I had as much to do with the new facilities as Joe Alleva did. I'd actually be in favor of dissolving our athletic department at this point. Get rid of Alleva, and combine campus rec, club sports, intramural sports and intercollegiate athletics departments into one.

At least he could have said the right thing when he made his initial comments about Texas talking to Coach G regardless of how he felt. His track record looks nice on paper but is he really helping or hindering us?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'm certainly glad that there haven't been any serious situations for Duke athletics in recent months.
    Touche. I have no idea if Alleva was able to do anything differently during the Lacrosse situation for a number of reasons that have certainly been discussed. As K noted, the entire athletic department regrets not having been more supportive of the players; that doesn't rectify any wrongs done, but everyone involved screwed that one up.

I'm not sure it's fair to ask a whole lot more out of the athletic director than the above. Duke placed eighth in last year's Directors Cups standings, third among private schools behind Stanford, which has 31 varsity sports, and Notre Dame, which has the same number of sports as Duke. Other private schools on the list in the top 50: Southern Cal (10th), Northwestern (29th), BYU (31st), Baylor (32nd), Miami (FL) (42nd), Wake Forest (44th), Princeton (42nd), and SMU (49th).

As an alum, I was embarrassed at the time of the DWI last spring, but is that cause for firing the man? I don't know.

I do believe, however, that people get absurdly reactionary when calling for a man to lose his job. Sports is a weird industry in that regard: I can't think of another where people actively call for taking a man's livelihood away. And I think such calls should be reserved for much more serious situations than the fact that a coach decides to take another job.
    Given Duke's situation, I think this is an incredibly poor argument. Do you think Joe Alleva stepped in and recruited the athletes that make these sports so good? The coaches that recruit these student-athletes have an incredibly easy sell. They say "Hi. My name is _____ and I coach ______. I want you to come to Duke University, a school with the best academics and athletics combination of any school in the eastern half of the country. We compete in the ACC. We're located in North Carolina and have beautiful weather nearly all year that you can enjoy on our gorgeous campus. We have Coach K and the consistently best basketball team around." That's it. Every athlete I know including myself chose Duke as soon as they visited. I also know a lot of people that made the initial contact with Duke and basically recruited themselves.

Also, you can't see why people would call for a man's job? Well, for one, if someone is doing their job poorly... any job... you fire them. That is what you do. This is especially important when that person is in a position of high power and controls millions and millions of dollars.

To show unity in our disgust towards Joe Alleva, I suggest we all boycott football games in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    To show unity in our disgust towards Joe Alleva, I suggest we all boycott football games in the fall.
    That will be tough to do... I love watching us lose every game by 20+.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-03-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo fix

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Given Duke's situation, I think this is an incredibly poor argument. Do you think Joe Alleva stepped in and recruited the athletes that make these sports so good?
    Exactly. Which of our powerhouse programs are a result of Alleva?

The Coach G thing is the last straw for me. Regardless of whether or not he made an honest effort to keep her, the point remains that he did not keep her. A good athletics director would have found a way to do that (especially considering the speculation on why G made her decision).

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Given Duke's situation, I think this is an incredibly poor argument. Do you think Joe Alleva stepped in and recruited the athletes that make these sports so good? The coaches that recruit these student-athletes have an incredibly easy sell. They say "Hi. My name is _____ and I coach ______. I want you to come to Duke University, a school with the best academics and athletics combination of any school in the eastern half of the country. We compete in the ACC. We're located in North Carolina and have beautiful weather nearly all year that you can enjoy on our gorgeous campus. We have Coach K and the consistently best basketball team around." That's it. Every athlete I know including myself chose Duke as soon as they visited. I also know a lot of people that made the initial contact with Duke and basically recruited themselves.
    I guess I'm still failing to see what the guy has done so poorly. If he can't be given credit for the success of sports, then the fact that the football team and baseball teams have struggled can't be held against him.

Thus, I have seen three arguments against him.

1. DWI: big screw up. Again, not sure if that is firable or not.

2. Lacrosse situation: In my mind, a perfect storm with no easy solution no matter who the AD was. Additionally, President Brodhead seemed to be in control of the situation from the school's perspective. We don't know the discussions that went on behind the scenes, particularly relating to the cancelling of the season and the dismissal of Coach Pressler. My guess (and it's obviously only a guess) is that Alleva's hands were tied in that situation. Regardless, I don't think it's fair to pass judgment on him specifically without knowing more details.

3. Coach Goestenkoers leaving: From all indications, he offered the same amount of money as the school that eventually hired her. Should he have broken the bank for her? Debatable, but my opinion is know. Regardless of my opinion, there is always the chance that Coach G just wanted a change of venue. We have no idea her reasons for leaving at this point, so again to put it all on the athletic director appears unwarranted to me. There appears to be a consensus on a PR screwup from Alleva, but if that were the rationale for being fired, there's a good chance the men's basketball coach would have been tossed a while ago.

Unless there are further arguments against the guy, I personally don't see a reason for him to be fired.

HAHAHA Duke keeping within 20 of anyone is hillarious.

I guess I'm still failing to see what the guy has done so poorly. If he can't be given credit for the success of sports, then the fact that the football team and baseball teams have struggled can't be held against him.

Unless there are further arguments against the guy, I personally don't see a reason for him to be fired.
    For one thing, I was mainly referring to the non-scholarship, non-revenue sports that you were mentioning earlier. I was not referring to football and basketball.

Here is a list of the things that Alleva has done poorly.

1. Duke football. Hiring Franks, giving him an extension, hiring Roof, not holding anyone accountable. Duke football is a joke right now. It doesn't have to be.

2. He lost Goestenkors (and handled the situation incredibly poorly!) one of the best women's basketball coaches in the country (top 3).

3. He drunkenly crashed his boat with his son.

4. The baseball situation - steroids, people leaving the team, awful coach, another extension, hires a new coach with a losing record at a small school when any number of excellent coaches would want to coach at Duke.

5. The way he handled the lacrosse mess. He immediately forced Pressler out and then when giving press conferences it became really apparent to everyone that he can't speak publically and has almost nothing to say.

6. There is absolutely no oversight of any of the small non-revenue sports. It's very clear that he doesn't care about the small sports. He seems to leave them completely alone (which might be best judging from what happens when he intervenes).

I'm sure I'm missing something. Feel free to fill in the list.

The steroids situation

is obviously a huge deal (that I had forgotten about). And complicity in that would, in my mind, certainly be fireable. However, if the University knew of such complicity on his part, I would be shocked that he retained his job. The Chronicle's editorial didn't offer any proof of such knowledge, but just a statement.

I guess I don't have a lot more to add to this--I'm just going to continue to regurgitating what I've already said. Reasonable minds can disagree, and I appreciate the good discussion.

His handling of the football team is reason enough for him to go...at virtually no other BCS conference school would that situation be allowed to continue for as long as it has. I'm sure the money drain from that situation had some type of negative effect of the Coach G situation and pay. When those two huge black eyes are coupled with the lacrosse mess, I don't see how anyone can support the guy.

to DCARP

I guess someone must support the AD - he still has the job, so it might as well be you. The baseball situation with Hiller was horrible - Joe covered up the steroids for his buddy - a man that purchased Joe Alleva's home. The lacrosse situation has been beyond belief, and Alleva was very aware of previous major problems with the team's behavior. The hiring of Carl Franks was a horrible decision, the hiring of Ted Roof may not have been much better. What more needs to be said about a man that would be in a speedboat with his drunken son months after the lacrosse debacle.

An AD is paid well enough to have a vision; our AD has none and has been reduced to an overpaid administrator. The situation with Gail is just another example of someone without a vision.

is obviously a huge deal (that I had forgotten about). And complicity in that would, in my mind, certainly be fireable. However, if the University knew of such complicity on his part, I would be shocked that he retained his job. The Chronicle's editorial didn't offer any proof of such knowledge, but just a statement.

I guess I don't have a lot more to add to this--I'm just going to continue to regurgitating what I've already said. Reasonable minds can disagree, and I appreciate the good discussion.
    I'm not aware of anyone having suggested that Alleva was complicit in the steroid matter, but it doesn't speak well of his management skills that he was apparently unaware of a scandal that took place on a team for which two of his sons were playing.

Coach Goestenkoers

3. Coach Goestenkoers leaving: From all indications, he offered the same amount of money as the school that eventually hired her. Should he have broken the bank for her? Debatable, but my opinion is know. Regardless of my opinion, there is always the chance that Coach G just wanted a change of venue. We have no idea her reasons for leaving at this point, so again to put it all on the athletic director appears unwarranted to me. There appears to be a consensus on a PR screwup from Alleva, but if that were the rationale for being fired, there's a good chance the men's basketball coach would have been tossed a while ago.

When a coach is doing a great job, ie getting to the national game, running a great program, etc. then a competent AD rewards her and lets her know that she is appreciated. Maybe he tries to find ways to make her life better and her team better, ie charter flights to games. Hopefully when another school calls her she then says: "Thanks, I am flattered but I love it here and they appreciate me."

Joe must go.

SoCal