Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Hasn't anybody considered that it was not about the money, but about a change of scenery? I think i read on these boards that she recently got divorced. Maybe she wanted to have a new start somewhere else. Maybe her leaving is not an indictment of Duke or Alleva or anything else.
    As an armchair psychologist myself, I actually find this explanation pretty compelling. I remember feeling some dread that the odds were not good when I found out that she was single and 44. Without speculating on her personal life, she's at a time in her life that is a good time to make a big change like this, without concerns of having to move a family across the country.

If her divorce was indeed recent, then this type of move makes even more sense...but I'm still bitterly disappointed that she couldn't be compelled to stay, in order to see the program she built through to her first championship.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    From what I've read, only Greg and Marty attended the on-campus rally for Coach G. Why wasn't there more support from the men's program to keep Coach G at Duke?
    McRoberts was busy studying for finals

From Jason Evans:
    post deleted, we don't need sour grapes like that around here
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-03-2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: post was out of bounds of good taste

Quote Originally Posted by azazel View Post
    post deleted
    Not only is this a terrible attempt at "humor" from a first time poster, it doesn't even come close to hitting the mark -- the rest of the players on the youngest, most turnover-prone, least poised Duke men's basketball team in a decade "understanding basketball" more than the most successful coach in Duke women's history? I'm not sure some of those guys understand basketball any better than most players on Division II teams.

But maybe I'm just bitter and you're a troll.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-03-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Funniest one-liner I have read around here in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Not only is this a terrible attempt at "humor" from a first time poster, it doesn't even come close to hitting the mark -- the rest of the players on the youngest, most turnover-prone, least poised Duke men's basketball team in a decade "understanding basketball" more than the most successful coach in Duke women's history? I'm not sure some of those guys understand basketball any better than most players on Division II teams.

But maybe I'm just bitter and you're a troll.
    Wow you've had an account since March 2007?

I believe the men's program understands basketball better than Coach G. I could just be basing that on their 3 national championships, but in my mind it's based on the fact that her players are confused in the last minute of games like UConn in the elite 8 last year (a miracle win, considering...) or Rutgers this year. Maybe it's the fact that she had Lauren Rice and Iciss jacking up 3s all the time instead of banging in the post. I don't know -- I can't stand Coach G any more (the Minnesota game in 2004 was the final straw for me) and I can't wait to see Texas choke up huge leads against Texas Tech on a regular basis while she practices her deer-in-headlights look on the sideline. How could we lose to Maryland ?!?!?!?

lo ball

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post

<snip>

There are some impressive young coaches in Women's hoops and Duke has got to be a prime position right now given:

1) Top Conference
    2) Top 10 caliber roster, right now!
    3) Great recruits coming next year (assuming they stay, which sometimes depends on a reasonably quick and quality hire to retain them)
    3) Academic Reputation
    4) Basketball first school
    5) Storied home arena
    6) Good and soon to be great basketball facilities
    7) Scenic and Historic Durham, N.C.
    .......etc.
    <snip>
    Based on JA's original comments, which put Duke way in the hole with G, I assume Duke also will offer any new young coach a low salary, some put-downs to the press, and mention that Duke needs someone who likes long bus rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    yeah, this is potd material. more like the last four weeks, in fact.

god, what a depressing place dbr has become. i need to cheer up, excuse me while i go read ic.

Gail

I heard that Gail always had the hots for Mack Brown when he was at UNC and since her divorce this was the best way to get close to him. Okay, I didn't hear that, it's a total lie. But the way people are speculating, I figured I'd just throw more BS out there. Seriously Duke and it's fans will miss her. She was a great representative for Duke and a role model for women across the state. I wish her luck at Texas against anyone but Duke.

Sad to hear Coach G has decided to leave us for Texas. But all we can say is thank you for all you did to improve our Ladies program. Though we really wish you had chosen to say Good Luck and may you find happiness there.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    yeah, this is potd material. more like the last four weeks, in fact.

god, what a depressing place dbr has become. i need to cheer up, excuse me while i go read ic.
    I don't know why everyone is in such a bad mood. The women's team is going to win the national championship next year!

I don't know why everyone is in such a bad mood. The women's team is going to win the national championship next year!
    and the chicago cubs will win the world series

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    and the chicago cubs will win the world series
    I don't know from baseball but the women are going to win the national championship next year!
    Last edited by azazel; 04-03-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wxyz View Post
    Based on JA's original comments, which put Duke way in the hole with G, I assume Duke also will offer any new young coach a low salary, some put-downs to the press, and mention that Duke needs someone who likes long bus rides.
    In the rest of the post you quote from, I note my fear of Alleva being involved.

Nevertheless, from anything I've seen, Coach G was already being reasonably financially compensated (estimates seem to range from 400-500+K/year), in clear excess of Hatchell and Fricke (who are in the same conference and have won NCs) and most other women's coaches.

I definitely stand by stating that Duke is a very good job right now as a Women's basketball coach and (Alleva's poorly timed/poorly worded statement aside) until I hear that Coach G and/or our players were being treated shabbily/disrespectfully by the school, the long bus rides comment seems inappropriate (if that is somehow insinuating a callouness in not being provided with a chartered jet. sheesh.)

And while I tend to agree that his comments were stupid and had a negative impact, I've heard little more than conjecture that the relationship with Alleva was the main reason Coach G wanted to move on. There certainly are other potential factors as well including personal as well as the opportunity to replace a legend (#2 winningest coach all-time), at a top-notch large state school with one of the most successful programs in the history of her sport. Just saying that sure it's an easy opportunity to grind an ax at Duke's athletics department, but really, on the whole, the overall success of Duke's mens and womens athletics programs (including Women's Basketball) speak for a lot of people doing a lot of things right.

From Jason Evans:
    post deleted, we don't need sour grapes like that around here
    So is the plan also to delete all the posts criticizing Joe Alleva? Or is he still fair game because he hasn't made a conscious decision to leave Duke for another school?

Quote Originally Posted by irondog919201 View Post
    She said it was about people, I think I guess our people didn't measure up to Texas. As others have said maybe it is time to look at what the AD has done or not done.
    If that's the case, then yes, Alleva needs to go. What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by j(ay)mike View Post
    If that's the case, then yes, Alleva needs to go. What a disaster.
    Better pile on Alleva now before he decides to leave. If he does then anything you say afterward is just sour grapes.

How could we lose to Maryland ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?111111one

isnt it interesting that the last 4 teams that the wbb team has lost all wore red jerseys?
    just saying, although i cant think of how it relates to this topic other than the fact that texas is brown...

What's really terrifying is that he's hiring Goestenkors' replacement.

At least if we have to replace Ted Roof, there's a decent chance someone other than Alleva will be doing the search.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

As great as GG is, I cant see justifying paying her 800k. Tara Vandeveer, Stanford's coach, has won 2 NC and an Olympic gold medal, and she makes around 450.
    Kim Mulkey at Baylor makes 840, which is waaaaaaaay too much for her.

Brenda and Sylvia make less than 300, yet, each has a NC.
    Kay Yow, a Hall of Famer and has won an Olympic gold medal, only makes 200.

As a result, based on meritocracy, GG should have been estatic to make 400-500. However, if Texas wants to get that Texas sized checkbook out and write her a Texas sized check, then more power to them...