Great Hire For Michigan

John Beilein will be the next coach at Michigan. Look for them to become a dominant team in the near future. Beilein is one of the top coaches in all of college basketball. He did wonders at West Virginia with the talent that he had. He will now be able to recruit top players, especially in Michigan and Illinios.

Not So Sure

He is a terrific coach. However, he is used to getting guys who really want to learn the concepts that he embraces and who usually stay four years to learn them. There is that paradox at play; you get top players, do they stay for four years and are they interested in learning offensive concepts that deemphasize the dribble, emphasize player movement to create space and openings and challenge defenses to adjust without the ball being in the moving player's hands, and that do not operate on a star system.

My view that such systems, be they predicated on soccer principles (International play) or the Princeton or the Triangle or some other passing game concept, are the paradigm for the future. However, while those systems are on the rise, in both colleges and the pros, they are not presently ascendent and still I have to believe are met with considerable residence among the And-1 star generation paradigm that has ruled American basketball for a long, long time.

Michigan is a big ship to steer in a new direction, but I have to believe that the work already done will make the direction less new and the forces that be at MU more receptive.

I think he's going to use Michigan as a stepping stone to try to get to the pro's. He's made comments about moving from level to level (Richmond to WVU, WVU to Michigan, Michigan to... Well, we'll find out in 5 years...)

Not so sure about this being a home run hire for UM, but it's a solid double, maybe a triple.

I see them going the route of Wisconsin-four year players with the occasional superstar mixed in. Biggest concern-JB has no Midwest ties, in a recruiting area that gets hit hard both locally (MSU) and nationally (Oregon and Memphis both have strong footholds in Detroit for recruiting).

JB is a great system and game coach. We'll see what kind of recruiter he is. UM could help him a ton by improving their facilities. I seriously doubt JB would have taken the gig had that not been discussed in detail.

dukemsu