BC fires football coach

That's hardcore.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it was strange BC told him up front he could not interview and would be fired if he did, but I thought it much stranger that he actually did it. He must be pretty confident about getting a job somewhere else. To BC's credit, the coach sounds like he has been wanting to get back into the NFL asap, so I'm sure they are just as well off seeing him go and getting a long term commitment from someone who appreciates that BC is a pretty good place to be from a college football standpoint. I'd bet the fans support the AD as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With all due respect to BC (and, to be honest, I'm not sure a lot is due here): get over yourself. Boston College is a decent job. It isn't Southern Cal. It isn't even NC State. Your coaches are going to look around for better jobs. That's the nature of coaching at BC. The NFL is a better job. NC State is a better job. If you're going to set a precedent that your football coaches have reached their peak by coaching there (an artificial peak imposed by you), then you'll either a) get stuck with mediocre coaches or b) cycle through a new one every few years.

Of course, I don't think the precedent was set. I think the interview with the Jets is nothing but a pretext for the AD to fire a coach he didn't get along with so he could come out looking like the good guy. He doesn't. It looks petty.

It looks to me like the BC AD DeFilippo felt betrayed. Apparently Jago spoke with the Jets and didn't tell DeFilippo before he set the meeting with the Jets. The Jets are a problem here, too, since they should have given DeFilippo a call and asked permission to talk to Jago.

There is at least one story to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    It looks to me like the BC AD DeFilippo felt betrayed. Apparently Jago spoke with the Jets and didn't tell DeFilippo before he set the meeting with the Jets. The Jets are a problem here, too, since they should have given DeFilippo a call and asked permission to talk to Jago.

There is at least one story to that effect.
    My favorite part:

"We want someone who wants to be here for the length of the contract,'' said DeFilippo...
    I wonder how that will be handled if he ever hires someone who he later decides to fire... and really, when they're hired, they all "want" to be there for the length of the contract (who would say otherwise in an interview???)

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    With all due respect to BC (and, to be honest, I'm not sure a lot is due here): get over yourself. Boston College is a decent job. It isn't Southern Cal. It isn't even NC State. Your coaches are going to look around for better jobs. That's the nature of coaching at BC. The NFL is a better job. NC State is a better job. If you're going to set a precedent that your football coaches have reached their peak by coaching there (an artificial peak imposed by you), then you'll either a) get stuck with mediocre coaches or b) cycle through a new one every few years.

Of course, I don't think the precedent was set. I think the interview with the Jets is nothing but a pretext for the AD to fire a coach he didn't get along with so he could come out looking like the good guy. He doesn't. It looks petty.
    Completely agree, but I could never see even Southern Cal, Florida or Oklahoma firing their coaches for just talking to the NFL. Different circumstances I know, but nobody in their right mind was screaming about the "sancity of contracts" when K talked to the Lakers. It's just a part of the business. And I have a real hard time listening to sermons on ethics from anybody involved in major college football.

Quote Originally Posted by BacchusBlue View Post
    Completely agree, but I could never see even Southern Cal, Florida or Oklahoma firing their coaches for just talking to the NFL. Different circumstances I know, but nobody in their right mind was screaming about the "sancity of contracts" when K talked to the Lakers. It's just a part of the business. And I have a real hard time listening to sermons on ethics from anybody involved in major college football.
    Yeah, but the Lakers were up front with Duke's AD Joe Alleva; and he couldn't have fired Coach K if he'd wanted to.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs down Jags

Coach Jags has screwed BC football over pretty hardcore. The guy is an egomaniac and was bailing on BC no matter what. He hasn't been recruiting which in my mind means he knew he wasn't coming back. BC has some big holes to fill next year and i think Jags fell behind in recruiting and decided that it was time to move on. He wasn't very above board to Deflippio and BC and has/will leave them in a bad situation. What was Deflippio supposed to do? Let Jags keep interviewing while BC falls farther and farther behind. I'm not sure how the contract works but hopefully BC can put the screws to Jags.

As far as people defending Jags and not BC is pretty sickening IMO. Sports are really getting tough to stomach. It could take years for BC to come back from the way Jags is going to leave it.