Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maryland my Maryland

This post was inspired in part by the wonderful variety of stories in the "what made you a Duke fan" thread and also by the recurring comments there and elsewhere about dislike for Maryland.

First of all, congratulations to darkblue2769 on admission to the class of 2013 and good luck to dukebsbll14 and all other aspiring future Dukies. I loved my time at Duke and although there were things in my life during those years that I was unhappy about (ah first love...and second love...and...!?!?!?) I was always happy with Duke.

Second, I find it really interesting that so many of us started life as fans of another team. And I'm impressed with those of you who started out Duke fans and remained Duke fans despite ultimately attending another college. I know someone who grew up a Duke fan and spent her four years at UNC sitting in the student section with her Duke shirt on cheering for Duke. I'm not sure I could have ever been that person. I'm also intrigued by those who claim equal or almost equal (as in "I cheer for them except when they play Duke") loyalties to two teams. I honestly can't imagine myself that way either. Duke is number one with me always, by a long shot, and no matter how much I may respect or enjoy watching another team I can't imagine literally feeling equal or almost equal loyalties.

But I do have a second favorite team and that's Maryland - the team I cheered for in high school. It's possible that I am the only one on this board who would claim allegiances in that exact order: first Duke, then Maryland. It seems like if Maryland is mentioned around here talk immediately turns derisive, with comments on how people don't like them or can't support them. It's often couched in terms of how people dislike them NOW even though they used to like them, or they want to like them, but some combination of Gary and the Terp fans has supposedly made the program completely unlikable.

The trajectory of my relationship with Maryland is quite different. I followed them closely and cheered for them a lot throughout the 70s (although they became 2nd favorites when I became a Duke student), 80s and early/mid 90s. Until I moved away from Maryland in 1992 I went to at least a couple of games in Cole Field House each year, usually the Duke game and at least one where I could cheer for the home team. I know any of you with friends who are Terp fans have heard this part before: I really admired Gary when he first came to Maryland. He took the job because it was his alma mater and his dream job, and he came in under lousy circumstances. The program was still reeling from Len Bias' death, the Wade years had brought NCAA sanctions and the media had been in love with the Hoyas since the early 80s. It was uphill all the way, but ultimately the program became competitive again.

Here's where I veer away from the Maryland fans AND the anti-Maryland fans: the time period where I got sick of the Terps and sick of Gary's Rodney Dangerfield shtick was in the mid-to-late 90s, before the so-called Duke-Maryland rivalry heated up so publically. I didn't like several of the players during that time; some of them seemed to be rather rude and did an unwarranted amount of taunting. One of my favorite Duke wins of that era was the 1999 win in Cole - early enough in the season that Duke was not yet considered dominant, Maryland had Steve Francis so things were supposedly going to be different, the Cole Field House student section was filled with signs that said things like "Payback Time" and the pregame hype was all about "is it Maryland's turn?". It was not, and Duke just punished them.

After 1999 things changed for me again. I found that I kind of liked the 2000 team and the ones that followed. Players like Terrence Morris and Juan Dixon seemed like good guys, humble and hard working. I came to view Gary as a perfect fit for Maryland, still often amusing and annoying to the Duke fan part of me, but a Maryland guy through and through. I always want Duke to win no matter who the opponent is, and it stung big time to lose to the Terps at home in 2000 and 2001, but there was that little part of me that was happy for their players and for my friends who are Maryland fans to see them have that kind of success, culminating in their 2002 N.C.

This is not to say that I like or approve of everything that has happened at Maryland, or everything that Gary has done or said. And now and then I think my friends who are Maryland fans are downright irrational and sometimes even completely out of line in the things they say to me. But we remain friends and I remain something of a Terp fan. It's not like the passion that I have for Duke, it's more of an enduring fondness and fascination.

OK I just had to get that out of my system, thanks for tolerating my borderline heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    But I do have a second favorite team and that's Maryland

I found that I kind of liked the 2000 team and the ones that followed.
    Merry, I'm so sorry. I had no idea you were this mentally deranged. You're lucky that Rob is so understanding.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You're lucky that Rob is so understanding.
    Rob grew up even closer to College Park than I did and nearly all of his friends from his high school years are Maryland grads, so it could be argued that he's an enabler.

Merry,I am sort of in the same boat. I grew up in PG County MD, and I had a parent that worked @ UMD - College Park (Dr. Mote's assistant) therefore I took advantage of free tuition. I spent my time @ UMD and received my BS in Finance, and believe it or not, I am looking to do my MBA there as well. Did I ever really root for MD? Only one year, when Steve Francis was there. Other than that, no. I have been pulling for the Devils every since I was a young kid (starting around 83-84 season.) I will say that it was VERY tough going to school there and having to keep my Duke roots on the DL!!!

Merry - Thanks for your post. As I recall, you once stated that John Lucas was your favorite player growing up. He was a favorite of mine as well. I am also a rare creature on the site. I am a fan of both the Devils and the Terps. My excuse is that I met and fell in love with my future wife on the Maryland campus where she was an undergraduate as well as a graduate student. We went to a host of games at Cole in the early 70's and I enjoyed visiting McKeldin library (where she worked part time) and the ice cream parlor. Those seemed to be more innocent times and the Terps fans were fun and enjoyable to be around. A very close friend (Virginia grad) and I went to every Maryland-Virginia football and basketball for many years and he wore Virginia regalia without being verbally abused. I don't know when the nastiness begain but I am convinced it is independent of Gary Williams. The fans at Redskins games are horrible and I refuse to attend. I am convinced (half jokingly) that there is this Philadelphia disease that has spread down south into the Washington area and affected fans at pro and college sporting events.

For those who care, I just sit back and enjoy the game when the two teams meet and there have been dozens of good games in the past nearly 40 years.

gw67

I have a mixed bag of feelings. I grew up in Silver Spring and was a general fan of the ACC when I was young. Really, until 1986 when I was 15 and decided to go to Duke, I actually supported, probably in about this order, Duke, Maryland, NC State (Mom's an alum), and UNC (because I was young and foolish). I loved Lefty Driesell. I loved the Albert King-Greg Manning-Buck Williams years. I loved Lenny Bias and still remember exactly where I was when I heard he died. I was thrilled for Maryland that Walt Williams stayed despite the scandals and probations, and was happy for them when Gary Williams began to put them back on the map.

It was the antics of Williams and the Maryland fans that made me finally begin to dislike the Terps in 2000 and the next few years. His constant allegations that Duke was favored by the refs and clear feelings that a Duke bias was the reason his team collapsed against Duke in 2001 were, I thought, immature and annoying. Then there was the talk from the Maryland fans that Cameron was another home court for them. Then there was the violent and destructive behavior of the fans around College Park when Maryland won the championship. And last, but not least, was the treatment of Redick. It's a fan base that has become classless, and I think it's Williams' fault, because his behavior encourages and excuses it.

So now I am no longer a Maryland fan, but I have very fond memories of being a Maryland fan when I was younger, if that makes any sense.

Maryland

I wouldn't say that Maryland is my second -- or even 10th -- favorite school, but I don't think I hate them as much as a lot of Duke people. There have been Maryland coaches and players I have admired.

Merry, I've followed much the same path as you have in recent years. I very much disliked the 1999 team and was happy to see them abused. Gary's melt-down in the 1999 ACC Tournament, when he was screaming and cursing at his players, his SID at the scorer's table and fans sitting behind his bench, was hilarious to watch.

But I found the group of guys that followed to be much more admirable. I still think Juan Dixon is one of my all-time favorite non-Duke players in the ACC.

The big problem I have with Maryland is the institutional paranoia that surrounds the program. Gary -- with his comments about being in Alaska in regard to the ACC -- clearly has it in abundance.

But it predates him -- Lefty Driesell was the most paranoid coach who ever lived.

And before him Bud Milliken was always complaining about the way the North Carolina teams dominated the ACC ... before the 1958 ACC Tourney (which Maryland won) he called the tourney, "a $100,000 farce". Interesting, since Maryland never won a regular season title in that era (their first was in 1980), so it wasn't like the ACC Tournament was robbing the Terps of any potential titles.

I don't dislike Gary, despite his often over-the-top hysteria. I'll always love him for one of the great lines in ACC history. At the ACC basketball media day in 2003, reporters were going nuts for new UNC coach Roy Williams. During the interviews, one idiot started laughing about how the ACC now hadtwo Coach Williams and how would we ever keep them straight. Roy's answer:

"I'm the Williams with the ring."

Alas, that's no longer true, but it was a great line nevertheless.

I've never had a problem with Maryland's basketball program. Their fanbase (as a whole) is a separate matter. The whole disliking Maryland thing only really got going in 2001. And I'm not sure Gary's whining about the refs that year was a whole lot different from what a hundred other coaches would do in the heat of blowing a 22-point lead in a national semifinal.

It was nice to have another good program in the ACC other than unc for those few years. Funny how Maryland's best years almost perfectly matched unc's worst.

Not so strange

I don't think that the double allegiance is all that unusual. I root for both schools. After all Duke was my safety school until I was fortunate enough to get accepted at College Park.
    The fans of UMCP have acted badly at times. Fans aren't static they're dynamic. A lot of different factors affect fan behavior. Whether or not a sport is in or out affects who shows up to the game. The current ticket allocation system in place at UMCP, where students get credit (scan and leave) for checking into a game, affects fan behavior. As does the bias towards companies holding blocks of seats. There is a certain cachet for rowdiness and traditions so the students still do the Rock and Roll rock cheer, the "O" chant during the national anthem even though both are so yesterday. But I would characterize the Terp fans of today as apathetic. This team is probably as good as the Joe Smith/Keith Booth/Duane Simpkins team but gets no where near that level of support. Tonight I will have no problem at all finding a seat in the front row of the student section.

This post was inspired in part by the wonderful variety of stories in the "what made you a Duke fan" thread and also by the recurring comments there and elsewhere about dislike for Maryland.

First of all, congratulations to darkblue2769 on admission to the class of 2013 and good luck to dukebsbll14 and all other aspiring future Dukies. I loved my time at Duke and although there were things in my life during those years that I was unhappy about (ah first love...and second love...and...!?!?!?) I was always happy with Duke.

Second, I find it really interesting that so many of us started life as fans of another team. And I'm impressed with those of you who started out Duke fans and remained Duke fans despite ultimately attending another college. I know someone who grew up a Duke fan and spent her four years at UNC sitting in the student section with her Duke shirt on cheering for Duke. I'm not sure I could have ever been that person. I'm also intrigued by those who claim equal or almost equal (as in "I cheer for them except when they play Duke") loyalties to two teams. I honestly can't imagine myself that way either. Duke is number one with me always, by a long shot, and no matter how much I may respect or enjoy watching another team I can't imagine literally feeling equal or almost equal loyalties.

But I do have a second favorite team and that's Maryland - the team I cheered for in high school. It's possible that I am the only one on this board who would claim allegiances in that exact order: first Duke, then Maryland. It seems like if Maryland is mentioned around here talk immediately turns derisive, with comments on how people don't like them or can't support them. It's often couched in terms of how people dislike them NOW even though they used to like them, or they want to like them, but some combination of Gary and the Terp fans has supposedly made the program completely unlikable.

The trajectory of my relationship with Maryland is quite different. I followed them closely and cheered for them a lot throughout the 70s (although they became 2nd favorites when I became a Duke student), 80s and early/mid 90s. Until I moved away from Maryland in 1992 I went to at least a couple of games in Cole Field House each year, usually the Duke game and at least one where I could cheer for the home team. I know any of you with friends who are Terp fans have heard this part before: I really admired Gary when he first came to Maryland. He took the job because it was his alma mater and his dream job, and he came in under lousy circumstances. The program was still reeling from Len Bias' death, the Wade years had brought NCAA sanctions and the media had been in love with the Hoyas since the early 80s. It was uphill all the way, but ultimately the program became competitive again.

Here's where I veer away from the Maryland fans AND the anti-Maryland fans: the time period where I got sick of the Terps and sick of Gary's Rodney Dangerfield shtick was in the mid-to-late 90s, before the so-called Duke-Maryland rivalry heated up so publically. I didn't like several of the players during that time; some of them seemed to be rather rude and did an unwarranted amount of taunting. One of my favorite Duke wins of that era was the 1999 win in Cole - early enough in the season that Duke was not yet considered dominant, Maryland had Steve Francis so things were supposedly going to be different, the Cole Field House student section was filled with signs that said things like "Payback Time" and the pregame hype was all about "is it Maryland's turn?". It was not, and Duke just punished them.

After 1999 things changed for me again. I found that I kind of liked the 2000 team and the ones that followed. Players like Terrence Morris and Juan Dixon seemed like good guys, humble and hard working. I came to view Gary as a perfect fit for Maryland, still often amusing and annoying to the Duke fan part of me, but a Maryland guy through and through. I always want Duke to win no matter who the opponent is, and it stung big time to lose to the Terps at home in 2000 and 2001, but there was that little part of me that was happy for their players and for my friends who are Maryland fans to see them have that kind of success, culminating in their 2002 N.C.

This is not to say that I like or approve of everything that has happened at Maryland, or everything that Gary has done or said. And now and then I think my friends who are Maryland fans are downright irrational and sometimes even completely out of line in the things they say to me. But we remain friends and I remain something of a Terp fan. It's not like the passion that I have for Duke, it's more of an enduring fondness and fascination.

OK I just had to get that out of my system, thanks for tolerating my borderline heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by just_wondering View Post
    I don't think that the double allegiance is all that unusual. I root for both schools. After all Duke was my safety school until I was fortunate enough to get accepted at College Park.
    When you say "both schools" are you really referring to Duke or to the other...?

As for your other comments, you of course know that I don't really have what it takes to be a true Terp fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Merry - Thanks for your post. As I recall, you once stated that John Lucas was your favorite player growing up. He was a favorite of mine as well. I am also a rare creature on the site. I am a fan of both the Devils and the Terps. My excuse is that I met and fell in love with my future wife on the Maryland campus where she was an undergraduate as well as a graduate student. We went to a host of games at Cole in the early 70's and I enjoyed visiting McKeldin library (where she worked part time) and the ice cream parlor. Those seemed to be more innocent times and the Terps fans were fun and enjoyable to be around. A very close friend (Virginia grad) and I went to every Maryland-Virginia football and basketball for many years and he wore Virginia regalia without being verbally abused. I don't know when the nastiness begain but I am convinced it is independent of Gary Williams. The fans at Redskins games are horrible and I refuse to attend. I am convinced (half jokingly) that there is this Philadelphia disease that has spread down south into the Washington area and affected fans at pro and college sporting events.

For those who care, I just sit back and enjoy the game when the two teams meet and there have been dozens of good games in the past nearly 40 years.

gw67
    gw I thought of you after I made the statement about me being the only one. I know you have followed both Maryland and Duke for a long time but I always assumed based partly on your DBR-name that there was at least one other college program figuring in to your loyalties.

John Lucas was my favorite player when I was younger, but I was still thrilled to be in Cameron watching his team lose in his senior year!

I'm pleased this thread has flushed out a few more...if not Maryland fans exactly at least Maryland people.

What it takes to be a Terp

Merry,

I was on campus last night. It's winter term. At the busiest time of the day during winter term perhaps 20 per cent of all campus parking spaces are in use. I was using the gym which is probably the last facility open and it closes at 9. It's legal to park in most lots after 4. It's a nasty rainy night. UMCP has the cheapest most unreliable parking meters in the world. I filled one with quarters. It was dark so I didn't notice that the last bunch of quarters didn't register. When I was done working out I had a parking ticket. Because it's so known that the meters are unreliable I have the right to challenge the ticket without parking enforcement requiring anything than my statement saying the meter did not work. But I only one of those per calendar year. My challenge is used up in January during winter term! I'm basically hosed for 2009
    Magnify that times 4 years of similar abuse. That is what turns a student into a Terp.

just_wondering,
    Proud Terp

When you say "both schools" are you really referring to Duke or to the other...?

As for your other comments, you of course know that I don't really have what it takes to be a true Terp fan.

LOL Just Wondering! I truly believe that UMCP could very well have some of the WORST meters in America! I remember getting multiple tickets leaving the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I don't know when the nastiness begain but I am convinced it is independent of Gary Williams. The fans at Redskins games are horrible and I refuse to attend.
    For me, Gary has had a lot to do with it. Lefty could be funny, warm, likeable, even though as I recall his relationship with Dean Smith was pretty icy. Gary is perpetually sour, angry, insecure, and negative, and since he's the face of the program the fans and media pick up on it and emulate it. When the fans threw bottles at the Duke bench and repeatedly trashed the town of College Park he defended them. I can not imagine coach K doing likewise.

To this day there has never been a really strong and clear statement - I'll grant that there have been lukewarm ones, issued after prodding - from Gary or the UMCP administration against that behavior. He's a horrible role model, not that sports doesn't have others.

As for the Redskins games, I can't disagree with you there. More often than not, it's the drunken fans of other teams that have caused the problems in my section. There's a lot of provocation going on. But the Skins have plenty of that, too. Sports fans in general aren't a terribly honorable bunch, I'm afraid. But in my experience Philly fans and UMCP fans are definitely the worst of the lot.

Not true

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Gary is perpetually sour, angry, insecure, and negative, and since he's the face of the program the fans and media pick up on it and emulate it.
    It took me all of 45 seconds to find evidence that refute your claim "Gary is perpetually sour, angry insecure and negative"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/c...0,678762.story

Wink A Sea of Parking

Quote Originally Posted by just_wondering View Post
    Merry,

I was on campus last night. It's winter term. At the busiest time of the day during winter term perhaps 20 per cent of all campus parking spaces are in use. I was using the gym which is probably the last facility open and it closes at 9. It's legal to park in most lots after 4. It's a nasty rainy night. UMCP has the cheapest most unreliable parking meters in the world. I filled one with quarters. It was dark so I didn't notice that the last bunch of quarters didn't register. When I was done working out I had a parking ticket. Because it's so known that the meters are unreliable I have the right to challenge the ticket without parking enforcement requiring anything than my statement saying the meter did not work. But I only one of those per calendar year. My challenge is used up in January during winter term! I'm basically hosed for 2009
    Magnify that times 4 years of similar abuse. That is what turns a student into a Terp.

just_wondering,
    Proud Terp
    Clark Kerr, then President of Cal Berkeley: "The definition of a university is a collection of unrelated academic disciplines united by a parking problem." [I'll look for the exact words later.]

This reminds of an entry in Norman Chad's "Couch Slouch" column: "Do I have an education? I went to Maryland. All I got were parking tickets." So it's nice to see even the alums have a sense of humor.

sagegrouse
    'I really pulled for Lefty to beat Dean all those years, and it seldom happened. When he finally won the ACC-T, he beat the 1984 Dawkins-Alarie team in the finals (after, of course, the Devils eliminated Michael Jordan & Co). Since Lefty departed it has been hard to feel warm and fuzzy about Maryland, although I get a kick out of Gary's neuroses, and I think he's a good coach.'

I'm in the same category - grew up in DC, loved the Len Bias-led Terps as a kid, saw my first college hoops game at Cole, went to Lefty's summer basketball camps, rooted for the Walt Williams teams to do well, and so on until attending Duke in the late 90s. Even then I pulled for the Joe Smith/Keith Booth/Exree Hipp/Dwayne Simpkins/Johnny Roades team to do well, and was definitely a fan of the Juan Dixon team. There was a while where they gave UNC trouble in the Dean Dome every year which was also great to watch.

However, over time their fan base has turned me off from the team. And it's not just the "in the arena" fans (though I can attest that wearing opposing team colors is not a smart move), but the fan base in general. I have friends who went to VA Tech, UNC, Virginia, and other ACC schools, and when we lose to them usually I hear "good game, glad we finally beat you, we played our best game of the year and you had an off night", etc, but when we lose to Maryland I need to turn my phone off to avoid "you suck, in your face, looks like you didn't pay the refs enough, etc" Maybe its just my friends, but that's the feeling I get from the UMd fan base, so its hard for me to pull for the Terps anymore.

I actually grew up a Maryland fan. My Dad played lacrosse and managed the basketball team while he was there in the Depression. All my relatives are from Maryland, and several of my cousins went there--although not all graduated, which is a subject I will not explore here. I really only became a Duke fan after I applied and was accepted. I enjoyed Lefty's years, at least the beginning, and thought it was a shame that his 1974 team did not get to the NCAA's, although that triggered to NCAA to begin to expand the field.

I agree that antics of recent vintage, like the past decade, have tempered my enthusiasm. I thought we actually had a decent rivalry in 2000 and 2001 when they had Juan Dixon, who was a real class act. But Gary seemed to go off the deep end when we beat them in the National Semifinals in 2001, and has never fully recovered. Their fans are a disgrace, and the university dishonors itself by not speaking out forcefully about their boorish behavior. I thought the F**k Duke t-shirts were an abomination. Along with the bottle throwing and street riots. I have been to some games in Cole (generally Duke/Maryland) and used to enjoy it. Now I wouldn't go near Comcast Center for a Duke game.

This thread and another pertaining to when one became a “Duke Fan” have sparked some personal recollections. First, let me say I am an “oldtimer” originally from the Midwest (MSU alum). I really got interested in the game during my college years when I earned spending money by refereeing intramural and city league games. I learned the game from one of the great teachers of the time (early to mid 60’s), John Bennington who coauthored “Basketball Methods" with Pete Newell. Coach Bennington was a strict disciplinarian both in the classroom and on the court and what he taught and instilled in me helped me function in society as I progressed through life. When MSU kicked the military recruiters off campus, I no longer had interest in that program. In the mid seventies, while assigned (Navy Officer) to the Pentagon I became a Terps fan. “Ole Lefty” and the team of Lucas, Rivers, McMillen, Elmore etc. were a fun team to watch. When Dean Smith employed the despicable “four corners” tactics to beat those guys it was heresy to me and a transgression against the game as far as I was concerned and earned UNC my forever lasting disdain. While I never was a great admirer of Lefty’s coaching, he was a colorful character. He could rant and rave but one knew at was an act whereas Gary just struck me as being mean spirited. So, I drifted away from the Terps eventually. When I retired from the military in mid nineties and began teaching in public high schools in NC, I searched for a team to identify with. UNC was off the list because of the aforementioned and also because of attitudes that I encountered locally in my community. NCSU (I took quite a few classes there to get my teaching credentials) recruited/accepted players with attitudes and questionable character which fell below what I could accept. Duke and Coach K,on the other hand, had it right and I really enjoyed the team of Hill, Parks, Lang, Collins, Capel (I run into his grandfather frequently) etc. Since then I have been a Duke fan much to the chagrin of most of my students, and rarely do I ever have anything to “pick at” regarding Coach K’s teams (Coach Bennington would approve, I’m sure of Duke’s teams).

Oh yeah, more good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    “Ole Lefty” and the team of Lucas, Rivers, McMillen, Elmore etc. were a fun team to watch.
    When they came back from winning the NIT I went to a sort of pep rally outside of Ellicott hall. I'm sure I thought I was blending in with the college kids but blew it when I impulsively ran up and got Tom McMillen's autograph. I carried the autograph in my wallet for probably 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    While I never was a great admirer of Lefty’s coaching, he was a colorful character.
    I remember after I got accepted to Duke I was at my boyfriend's house one day and in the course of talking about Duke I said to his mom "You know, Lefty went to Duke too!" and she said "Really? Then how come he says 'ain't'?" LOL!