Women: Duke - Temple postgame thread

The final score was 87-52, and the feel of the game pretty much echoed what that score entailed. For everything but the first 4 or 5 minutes of both halves, we dominated Temple, who was just a little bit smaller and a little bit slower than we were. There was balanced scoring all around for us, with Chante playing consistently well all through the game, Joy playing well in the second half, Shay shooting the ball very well and moving well with the ball, and Jasmine shooting well, as well. Abby played amazing defense and did a good job distributing the ball, as well as not turning the ball over, which was pleasing as well.

As has been commented on before, this team is evolving its identity into a hard-nosed defending team, one that consistently forces large numbers of turnovers a game, with the stifling pressure defense and a skillfully executed back-court press. And as the year goes on, they're getting more used to the offense, which is allowing them to put more points on the board than earlier in the season (particularly pleasing, since some of the earlier games where they only scored 60-70 points were kind of a drag; and before you say anything, yes, I realize that this was just Temple, an undersized 8-5 team, but still, they're scoring the points, which is a start).

Anyway, I was pleased with last night's game, and wish that I could make it to Friday's game (whose idea is it to have Friday games, anyway :-P), but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how prepared they are for the UMd game, which is easily a winnable game without Langhorn clogging up the middle this year.

I've been a little distant from the women's team this year -- not on TV much so far, don't feel like I know a lot of the players. Here's my question: just how good is this team? From the box scores, it looks like this team is taking care of business like teams of old.

Can be good

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    I've been a little distant from the women's team this year -- not on TV much so far, don't feel like I know a lot of the players. Here's my question: just how good is this team? From the box scores, it looks like this team is taking care of business like teams of old.
    This team can be very good because they play very hard on D and every player can bound the ball. Their weakness, and it is a big weakness, is that they really cannot shoot the ball from the outside. They have also turned the ball over too much as sometimes they force plays. If they turnover less and continue to play strong D- they can play with anyone. If they start to hit outside shots more consistently- they could make a final four run.

Duke's signature is a suffocating, full-court press. Duke has athletes, lots of them, and they just keep shuttling them in until they exhaust opponents. They are forcing good teams into beaucoups of turnovers; 23 for Stanford, 29 for Temple, 29 for Providence, 25 for Southern Cal. Sometimes this creates an attitude of frenzy that hurts Duke's offense

Duke, btw, credited Abby with 14 deflections last night. Cardoza called her a "pest" and I think she meant it as a compliment. She just disrupts the other team's offense.

Duke scores lots of its points in transition off turnovers. The big question is Duke ability to score in half-court sets against those teams that don't cough it up 20-30 times per game.

Chante Black is playing at an A-A level. She's not padding her stats in blow-outs. For example, she outscored Cotton, Temple's 6'4" post, 15-6 last night, Chante went to the bench with Duke up by 40 and Cotton scored 12 against KT and others. So, if you just look at the stats, you would think Cotton had a good game. But Chante just mauled her.

BTW, you'll love Shay Selby. Lots of pizzaz in her game. Lots.

Barring intervention by higher powers, I don't see how UConn doesn't win it all. But Duke is playing as well right now as anyone else. They looked like a Final Four team last night. To look like a Final Four team in two months, Duke needs to improve ball security and half-court offense. But the trend lines are positive.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 01-06-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added word for clarity

I agree with everything said here. Last night's game was great. There have been times this season where our defense-oriented style of play seemed a little, well, boring--but I didn't get that feeling last night. Watching them poke the ball loose and muscle for rebounds and create fast breaks over and over again in the first half was pretty exciting. And even their half-court offense is starting to look better. They sometimes have trouble finishing, but it seems like they are doing a better job of making good passes and getting the ball in a good position to score. And it was great to see the bench players (including Chelsea Hopkins, who has been injured) get some playing time, and Shay Selby was great. I completely agree with Jim that "the trend lines are positive."

Isn't it time for Abby to turn JJ on us?

\ 'Sometimes this creates an attitude of frenzy that hurts Duke's offense'

I totally agree with this--it is like they get to gettin so fast and furious--when they get the ball they are unable to get under control and then make some silly pass or ugly shot----