View Poll Results: You're going to spend ten years of relative youth in the 19__.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 00s?

0 0%
  • 10s?

0 0%
  • 20s?

5 29.41%
  • 30s?

0 0%
  • 40s?

1 5.88%
  • 50s?

2 11.76%
  • 60s? (knowing a few here did)

3 17.65%
  • 70s? (knowing some here did)

1 5.88%
  • 80s? (knowing many here did)

2 11.76%
  • 90s? (knowing many here did)

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you had to live a decade of your youth in the 20th, Century, you would choose19__.

You get to live ages 20-30 in any decade of the 20th century. Which one do you choose, and if you feel like explaining, why?

PUBLIC POLL

-EarlJam

Age 20-30?? I'll be living that for the 1st time in the 2010's, so I'll vote on this after the first go round of ages 20-30.

But say hypothetically is was ages 5-15, I have no reason to move it from the 90's. I had video games and the internet. And cell phones. Can you believe I don't remember a time when these things didn't exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Age 20-30?? I'll be living that for the 1st time in the 2010's, so I'll vote on this after the first go round of ages 20-30.

But say hypothetically is was ages 5-15, I have no reason to move it from the 90's. I had video games and the internet. And cell phones. Can you believe I don't remember a time when these things didn't exist?
    No, I cannot belive it. Holy cow. When Duke was playing Michigan for
    Back-To-Back championships in 1992, CBS announced that facts of the game could be found for "certain audiences" on www.?????????????.

I remember turning to my friend and asking, "What the hell is THAT all about?"

Brace yourself Ben63. It's going to go by lightning fast - and when you turn 30, 35, etc., in your heart, you will still feel in your teens, twenties (that's a good thing, by the way).

Someday in the future, someone's going to want to discuss the merits, weaknesses of Duke stars Wiggins and Aikens, and you will tell them of the good 'ol days of Singler and Henderson. They will respond, "That was before I was even born!"

You will think to yourself, "Damn. How did that happen?"

-EarlJam

Does it HAVE to be the 20th century? I'd always been interested in giving life a go again back in medevil times, those glorious time of olde! lol
    But if our choices are only of the 20th Century, then my pick would be the (early) 70's. It seems to be that it was that time that was the most free of times.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    When Duke was playing Michigan for
    Back-To-Back championships in 1992
    I was 9 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Does it HAVE to be the 20th century? I'd always been interested in giving life a go again back in medevil times, those glorious time of olde! lol
    But if our choices are only of the 20th Century, then my pick would be the (early) 70's. It seems to be that it was that time that was the most free of times.
    Yes, SheeMar has instructed me that this should only be limited to the 20th century, so please vote!

-EJ

I was 9 months old.

I was, when you were 9 months old, in a tree, drunk, and hitting on a girl with long beatiful brown hair and a fuzzy blue sweater. You lose.

But hey, you know, right now kids are being born that will be your "Ben" to my "EarlJam." Oh, and hey, they WILL call you out on it!

Let's pretend Duke wins it all this year. You, my good friend, will have a vivid memory of lifetime. When you recall it in 2027, people will call you an "old fart." You, in your mind, will be thinking, "I'm cool with that. God has blessed me with these years. But Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyymn. You are so young!"

-EarlJam

I was later in a tree, drunk, and hitting on a girl with long beatiful brown hair and a fuzzy blue sweater. You lose.

But hey, you know, right now kids are being born that will be your "Ben" to my "EarlJam." Oh, and hey, they WILL call you out on it!

Let's pretend Duke wins it all this year. You, my good friend, will have a vivid memory of lifetime. When you recall it in 2027, people will call you an "old fart." You, in your mind, will be thinking, "I'm cool with that. God has blessed me with these years. But Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyymn. You are so young!"

-EarlJam
    Yes, you win. I will admit that.

I know you are exactly right, but it is really crazy to think about. I mean, I've been a kid my whole life. I've always been the younger one. And that will soon change. Well, it should be a fun ride.

Yes, you win. I will admit that.

I know you are exactly right, but it is really crazy to think about. I mean, I've been a kid my whole life. I've always been the younger one. And that will soon change. Well, it should be a fun ride.
    NO MAN! No winning or losing here!

Just a simple message! Embrace the hell out of it! The whole future is ahead of you and will be for years. Love it, lick it, grab it, stick it!

Kind of like a Christmas Carol. Many older people wish they could go back to right the wrongs. You are there! And we all need that.

Okay, that's all. A "Ben" fan,

-EarlJam

Smile Everybody Wang Chung Tonight!!!

I was 9 months old.
    80's, hands down. In my 20's, dating my wife, marrying her, off to Madagascar, music, cheaper gas, road trips, etc... GREAT days of Liverpool FC (John Barnes).

90's were great too: daughter born, NCAA championships, Madagascar...

I wound up with 80's because my wife showed me photos last night of our wedding.

The '20s. For the music.

Being an old fart

I already was a young man in those decades. Now I'm a young man in this decade!

Seriously, being born in 1954, I was just a tad too young to "enjoy" the late 60's - the time of free love (well, sex). But that also made me just old enough to avoid Viet Nam, so no, I don't want that decade to be 20 in. The 70's were great - graduated HS, went to Duke (four fabulous years! OK, BBall sucked while I was in school, but 1978 was a lot of fun!), met my future wife and got married, got my first job, etc. Been there, done that. The 80's too - first mid life "crisis" (turned 30, you know), changed jobs several times, both in and out of my field of expertise. Did have my beautiful daughter in 1982, and I don't want to change that at all. The 90's? Good years, lean years and then good years again (corporate Y2K fear was pretty good to me!)

If I were to pick a decade to be 20 again, I'd have to go for now (or next decade) - just to be 30 plus years younger and have it all in front of me again! Actually, if you think about it, Trill simbiants www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Trill have it right - occupy a body for a bunch of years, then when it is about to die, get a new young body and do it all over again (with memories and experiences intact)!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

For the sake of argument, I would go with the 1920s. It was just before we started destroying our built environment with almost exclusively car-oriented structures. And the Depression hadn't hit yet. Manufacturing still occured in the US. And we weren't in any major wars. Music was still taught in schools. Some of my favorite composers were still living. I'd want to be in a major city, obviously.

OTOH segregation was at its height, and women's liberation was a ways off, so that's bad. If you could wave a wand and make civil rights come earlier, the choice would be a lot easier. So you see the appeal of the 1990s.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was pretty happy with my 20's being spent in the 90's. I would like to visit the 60's, but I did a bit of that anyways seeing so many Dead shows. The 80's blew, except for the birth of alternative rock, the music sucked. (Which is why college radio became so popular). The fashion in the 80's hopefully will not be revisited often (although I've noticed a strange trend of people once again flipping their Izod collars up, shiver.) Not enough technology in the 60's and 70's for me to willingly go back to.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

When Duke was playing Michigan for
    Back-To-Back championships in 1992, -EarlJam
    Ya i was 2...wish i coulda have remembered these years to witness the magical Duke teams that competed. Instead, I was enjoying Barney and Rugrats

Pretty difficult to pick a whole decade when I can only think of about 7 or 8 days that I would even consider living at a different time, or dropped from my life experiences. However, since I got through those days, and since changing them may have sent me off in different directions, I'll stay where I am, a moderately successful guy who never hit the financial jackpot, but collected several other jackpots such as kids and grandkids, Duke and the Marine Corps, years of fun poking around inside computers and systems, and a very happy retirement with my wife in an idyllic environment. I'm happy to have what I have, so I did not vote in EarlJam's poll.

So all of the young'in talk got me thinking...am I the youngest "regular" on this board??

So all of the young'in talk got me thinking...am I the youngest "regular" on this board??
    Regularity is a wonderful thing, at any age!

Think pastrami.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I knew I should have said "regular poster." Can't get away with anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Regularity is a wonderful thing, at any age!

Think pastrami.
    Didn't see that one coming.

Definitely 90's. My favorite music, relatively good technology and video games and the style wasn't as crazy as the 70's or 80's. Plus I would soon see the 2001 championship.