Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

G leaves

The Chronicle is announcing right now that G has accepted the Texas job -- press conference soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think I'm gonna cry.

firealleva

Yeah, the whiner line is basically full of blowhards looking to share whatever smack they thought up while listening to an idiot caller earlier in the day.

Packer did have Jim Young on the other day, who is a Duke Grad currently working for the Greensboro News & Record. Plus the G-Man comes on semi-regularly, and Bilas has a weekly section in the morning. So Duke is fairly well represented.

I'd recommend Gary and Jim on your way into work on the Morning Sports Page if Packer's not your style. More substance, less calls, less smack.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How about Katie Meier, Duke Class of 1989, now head coach at Miami.
    http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...r_katie00.html
    Meier is another good thought, though I generally deride poaching coaches from within the conference. Not sure why, exactly, but it just doesn't seem cool. (Though the strong former school ties definitely make it more acceptable, in this case.)

Also, if we pursue someone with a Duke tie, I'd prefer someone with a tie to Coach G (as player or assistant coach) as that can be it's own point of connection with the current team and with incoming recruits.

the name game

The biggest problem with many of the other possible coaches out there is how easy their names are to spell. It's pretty clear by now what works for Duke Basketball!

;0)

GG

We should retain George Gilder at all costs.

Whoops, wrong forum(however a defense reacting at the speed of light would be difficult to break down - you'd have to ride the proper lambda, but if the defense used CDMA it might be sufficiently disguised that even that might not work).
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Duke should make a SERIOUS pitch to Jen Rizzotti. She'd be my #1, #2, and #3 choice! Katie Mier cant coach worth a flip (what has her Miami teams done??) And i've not been impressed w/ JBoyle.

Pete Gaudet

Shouldn't be too hard to replace Coach G

Think about it.

Women's basketball isn't about quick riches to the WNBA. It's about getting an education and playing college basketball. What top female player wouldn't want to goto Duke as long as they have a good coach?

The two main questions to ask is:
    1) Why hasn't Coach G not been able to win a NCAA title given the level of talent she had?

2) Coach G said it was all about "the people". Which people was she referring to? She forget about the most important ones... her players?!? I can't blame her for wanting a change of scenes, but at least be open and honest about it.

Coach Boyle can coach...

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    Duke should make a SERIOUS pitch to Jen Rizzotti. She'd be my #1, #2, and #3 choice! Katie Mier cant coach worth a flip (what has her Miami teams done??) And i've not been impressed w/ JBoyle.

Hi,

I have been VERY impressed with Coach Boyle. She took a lackluster Cal team and really turned it around. I think we would be in good hands with her.

GO DUKE!

Not necessarily serious, but Johnny Dawkins would seem to be a great choice. His quiet demeanor and earnestness would work very well in the women's game. Name recognition would be a plus, and recruits may very well want to play for him. Anybody else think there is merit to this?

Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Not necessarily serious, but Johnny Dawkins would seem to be a great choice. His quiet demeanor and earnestness would work very well in the women's game. Name recognition would be a plus, and recruits may very well want to play for him. Anybody else think there is merit to this?
    Great choice- he can recruit- he loves Duke and will likely not leave and he can learn to coach and then when K is ready to leave- take over the Men's program.

What's not to be impressed by with Boyle?

She took over a Richmond program that went 14-16 and then had three straight 20 win seasons appearing in the post season all three years. Her last season at Richmond they made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 14 years. At Cal, she took over a program that had not made the NCAA in 13 years and led them to a 18-12 record and an NCAA berth. Last year, they went 23-9, made the NCAA tournament and she was named Pac-10 Coach of the Year. She has also coached at the international level working with USA Basketball's U20 women's team. She can coach, she can recruit, she is well respected and she knows the Duke environment.

JD isn't going anywhere...

Hi,

JD likes being the Associate Head Men's Basketball Coach. I think one would have an easier time getting Wojo. However, I think Duke would be best served by hiring a coach with headcoaching experience.

GO DUKE!

Mike Sobb.

Well, he was the only person associated with the men's program not yet named in this thread. Other than Krzyzewski.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Boyle Update.

Word has has it that Boyle is in Durham right now - will take job if offered. Has also interviewed at Florida. Read that Cal has been trying to negotiate a contract extension.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Mike Sobb.

Well, he was the only person associated with the men's program not yet named in this thread. Other than Krzyzewski.
    How about Jason Williams for head coach?

Woo Hoo

Quote Originally Posted by beachdevil View Post
    Word has has it that Boyle is in Durham right now - will take job if offered. Has also interviewed at Florida. Read that Cal has been trying to negotiate a contract extension.

Hi,

I think she will make a great coach. She has Duke ties. I like the choice if it comes to be.

Sometimes, a case like this can be a kick in the pants for those involved. Maybe, if in fact the administration wasn't listening to Coach G, this will make the people involved start to pay attention. Perhaps the new coach will get things that Coach G could have only dreamed of getting.

The future of Duke women's basketball is built on the foundation provided by Coach G. In some ways that means she will never be far from the program.

GO DUKE!

This is really discomforting to suggest, but . . .

. . . did anyone think Brenda Frese might look good in the Duke blue during her discussion of Coach G at halftime last night? She's an Arizona alumna, so no real ties to Maryland.

Not to mention that it would likely steam the Twerps something fierce.

Thumbs up Katie Meier

Here is a second nomination for Katie Meier. Remembering her as a player, especially before her injury, she has a great fire, work ethic, and will to win. The thought that she hasn't accomplished much at Miami is a joke. Their men's basketball team isn't competitve either. It's a football school! Let's go after Katie.

Diamond Dave
    E '90