Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    Think about it.

Women's basketball isn't about quick riches to the WNBA. It's about getting an education and playing college basketball. What top female player wouldn't want to goto Duke as long as they have a good coach?

The two main questions to ask is:
    1) Why hasn't Coach G not been able to win a NCAA title given the level of talent she had?

2) Coach G said it was all about "the people". Which people was she referring to? She forget about the most important ones... her players?!? I can't blame her for wanting a change of scenes, but at least be open and honest about it.
    Nope. It shouldn't, but just wait and see. Alleva will manage to foul it up...bless his heart.

Love, Ima
    P.S. When I moved to the South, I learned that you can say anything you want about somebody as long as you follow up with "Bless his heart."

With all due respect to Boyle and Meier, shouldn't Duke be casting a much wider net for coaches? Why wouldn't a current or former WNBA coach be tempted by Duke's job? Anne Donovan, Carolyn Peck, and others? What about major college coaches like Joanne P. McCallie and Dawn Staley?

Would Nell Fortner really stick with Auburn over Duke if they offered??

(Side note: Gosh, as a Texas alum, Nell must not be very happy that she wasn't considered for that job)

While a former Duke player and coach can, and probably will, do a great job with the program, I think if the search starts and ends with one candidate (Boyle), it perhaps indicates that Alleva & Co. STILL don't view the Duke women's basketball program as they should. They should be willing to pay the big bucks to at least attract one of these elite, proven coaches. If they still want to go with Boyle or Meier after interviews with other candidates, that's fine. But I hope Alleva realizes that what Coach G built at Duke will be very hard to sustain without a stronger commitment from the athletic department and the university as a whole.

I agree with Dockfan, mostly. Duke shouldn't rush and name Joanne Boyle coach just because she has a pretty good resume and went to Duke. Many very good coaches will want the job. If Boyle still is the most impressive, then let's hire her, bless her heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dockfan View Post
    With all due respect to Boyle and Meier, shouldn't Duke be casting a much wider net for coaches? Why wouldn't a current or former WNBA coach be tempted by Duke's job? Anne Donovan, Carolyn Peck, and others? What about major college coaches like Joanne P. McCallie and Dawn Staley?
    I agree, Boyle is by all accounts a good coach, but they can and should be looking at others. McCallie and Staley just signed new contracts, so they are probably out, but there are lots of great coaches out there, and Duke has a good enough program, they can get one.

Carolyn Peck

I think Carolyn Peck would be a great hire. Did an awsome job at Purdue, has WNBA experience and is currently available.

Chatman???

I do not think Pokey Chatman will be considered for the Duke job.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-04-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: shortened

Nor should she be.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    What do you need to coach women's Bball at Duke?

1. Recruiting (i.e., a documented ability to seduce potential players).
    2. Penetrating assessment of the willingness of players to give it their all.
    3. Naked honesty alternating with intimate kindness.
    4. Passion for teaching new things to adolescents.
    5. Shared desire to reach peak experiences.
    6. Despite role as an authority figure, should be interested in letting the player take charge once in a while.
    7. A charismatic appeal.
    8. Discretion.

While Pokey Chatman fulfills these criteria, I doubt she would be an ethically acceptable choice to Brodhead, Alleva, Krzyz, or anyone in any power at Duke.
    Well, that was rude.

It was intended to be a little rude.

from what I understand, Chatman had sexual relationships with more than one of her players. While they were presumably of age, this is an abuse of authority in that they were under her charge. I would be surprised if any university or high school condoned such a recurrent ethical lapse. I think she should be out of coaching, at least for some period of time.

I'd feel differently if the story turns out to be different. For example, if the student had already graduated, then anything goes as far as I'm concerned. It's akin to the difference between a prof/student and a prof/former student. The latter is okay (though some would question it), while the former just isn't acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    It was intended to be a little rude.

from what I understand, Chatman had sexual relationships with more than one of her players. While they were presumably of age, this is an abuse of authority in that they were under her charge. I would be surprised if any university or high school condoned such a recurrent ethical lapse. I think she should be out of coaching, at least for some period of time.

I'd feel differently if the story turns out to be different. For example, if the student had already graduated, then anything goes as far as I'm concerned. It's akin to the difference between a prof/student and a prof/former student. The latter is okay (though some would question it), while the former just isn't acceptable.
    What was the point of posting that in this thread? Yes, a couple people mentioned her name; they're not as bothered by the ethical lapse, apparently, but I don't think that calls for being obnoxious, especially when we still don't know all the details of what went on between her and her players.

Sorry to have offended you.

Upon reflection, I don't think my post was tangential (we were talking about G's replacement, and others had mentioned Pokey as being a good choice) or outrageously rude or obnoxious (sophomoric but not dramatically so) or unfair to her (my understanding is that the facts are as clear as they ever are in this kind of mess, and, if the consensus reports are true, she did seduce young people who were under her care, and I think she has gotten a relatively free ride in the press for a significant transgression).

I'm a reasonable guy, however, and will delete it.

I'll admit I'm a bit touchy about the Pokey issue. There's just been so much nastiness and so much homphobic alarmism in the wake of this it's made me rather more sensitive to that sort of thing. FTR, I agree with you that she shouldn't be considered for the Duke job (I seriously doubt she's really under consideration, anyway), since she has done nothing as yet to address the allegations against her. That she immediately resigned and went into hiding does tend to indicate that whatever happened was indeed very wrong, and to call it "baggage" as some earlier in this thread did, is probably underdramatizing the seriousness of the situation.

OK, Pokey hijack over (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    I think Carolyn Peck would be a great hire. Did an awsome job at Purdue, has WNBA experience and is currently available.
    There is a reason why she's currently available: her record at Florida, which is decidedly underwhelming. In five seasons, right around .500, only two trips to the NCAA tournament, and never reached the Sweet Sixteen. And the best player she managed to recruit, transferred (Bernice Mosby).

Compare that to what Boyle did at Richmond and Cal. The comparison doesn't flatter Peck.

respectable

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There is a reason why she's currently available: her record at Florida, which is decidedly underwhelming. In five seasons, right around .500, only two trips to the NCAA tournament, and never reached the Sweet Sixteen. And the best player she managed to recruit, transferred (Bernice Mosby).

Compare that to what Boyle did at Richmond and Cal. The comparison doesn't flatter Peck.
    One can turn this around into positives for Carolyn Peck. She's respectable, would accept a low salary, and would be unlikely to make waves about travel, facilities or whatever. There is some possibility for her teams to do unexpectedly well, and if that happened (i.e. lots of fans in seats) then things could be reconsidered at that time. Perhaps just the kind of person Duke is looking for.

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by wxyz View Post
    One can turn this around into positives for Carolyn Peck. She's respectable, would accept a low salary, and would be unlikely to make waves about travel, facilities or whatever. There is some possibility for her teams to do unexpectedly well, and if that happened (i.e. lots of fans in seats) then things could be reconsidered at that time. Perhaps just the kind of person Duke is looking for.

Hi,

I hope you are so wrong. I can see the logic, but yuck. My goodness has Duke athletics come down to this?

GO DUKE!

Football has.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Coach G Replacement: Maintaining Quality of Program

If Coach G's replacement isn't at something like world class level, the program will likely suffer in future recruitments and sink to mediocrity. If Duke wants to maintain the tremendous popularity of the present women's basketball program, they need a top replacement, someone who can keep the stream of top new players coming.
    Ironically, we were among those chanting "sit down, Brenda" at this year's Maryland-Duke game, yet, after a thorough discussion, we feel Duke should try to get Brenda Frese. Why? She's proven she can recruit and develop talented players. Further, and perhaps of more importance than one thinks, she doesn't have the monkey on her back of not having won a national championship. Like Coach G still does. Brenda has nothing more to prove. She's won it. No reason to tense up and with her tense up the whole team when trying to get that elusive title. And that flows into another important point. Brenda Frese seems to have the talent to keep her team loose, rather than freezing up at the most critical junctures of the year, like some recent Duke teams have folded. She also is young enough to have a couple decades ahead to build a further Duke dynasty. And not to mention a keen understanding of the ACC. All in all a list of great reasons to hire her that no other coach can match.
    We'd love to see Duke go for the gold and at least get someone of Brenda's caliber and experience. It would give us a reason to continue to drive over to Durham for Duke games. If the program falls into mediocrity because of hiring some less than stellar choice, we, and probably quite a few others, would gradually find ourselves losing interest in the Duke women's basketball program. Just as we used to be Duke football fans.
    B&L

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    What about talking to Majerus (formerly at Utah) or Montgomery (formerly at Stanford)? I realize it's highly unlikely that they would "switch" from men's to women's, but it's not something that hasn't been done before (Dave Magarity (Army), for example).

As for women's coaches, Pokey is the first one that comes to mind. I realize she might have some baggage, but I think Duke would be silly to not look into her at the very least. She demonstrated at LSU that she certainly knows how to coach and can run a very successful program.
    My vote is still for either Majerus or Montgomery. As for women's coaches, I think Duke will be silly not to look into the "Pokey-Gate" situation. She's obviously demonstrated she's an excellent coach. I understand she comes with some baggage attached, but at the very least, Duke should consider her.

I thought football was on the "rebound" (no pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Football has.
    Hi,

Everytime I complain about Ted Roof, I hear about how the team is playing better, we have better recruits, and the coaching is finally up to par. In other words, I am told to "zip it." So, I must be wrong and football is really a sleeping giant. Why do I think it is going to be a long Fall and Spring next year?

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

On the other hand, she went from a 9-19 season to 19-11, in the SEC, which is a tough conference. Her team did have a horrible record this past year, though, so that's a negative. On the other other hand (how many hands is that?), she won that magical national championship at Purdue.

One thing she complained about at Florida was losing recruits to the marquee programs, a problem she wouldn't have so much at Duke.