Sean Livingston Question

I knew he had seriously hurt his knee, but until reading the article linked on the front page about the UNC player's decisions, I didnt realize it was potentially career threatening? Was his injury that bad or is that some sort of hyperbole?

It really was that bad. If you haven't seen the video, his knee literally bent sideways (truly horrifying), and he tore almost all of the ligaments.

He did tear all the ligaments

Don't watch it on YouTube...it's disgusting.

He tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL.

He's been really good (in spurts) in the NBA, but I just don't think his body was ready. He was 160 pounds(!!) when he was drafted (6'7" height).

A year to build his body to 180-190 would have helped him tremendously...

I would advise against it, but if you want to watch it...

http://www.yfly.com/media/view/53171

The consensus is the Shaun is out for a year, at least. Many think he will miss all of next season. I suppose the biggest question is if he can ever be the kind of player he was on his way to becoming.

-Jason "wow, what a horrid injury" Evans

injury plagued career to this point...

SL has been hampered by injuries and has yet to play a full season in the NBA.

He missed 39 games during his rookie season because of a dislocated right knee, and another 12 that season because of torn cartilage in his right shoulder. He sat out the first 21 games last season because of a stress reaction in his lower back.

Leaving Early and Injuries

I have mentioned this previously, it seems to me that there might be a corrolation between leaving early and serious injuries to those who do. Sean's injury, devastating as it is, brings this to light. The grind of NBA life, and the speed of play, seem to be a very dangerous combination, especially for the ultra athletic kids who are usually the ones who come out early because they have such "upsides." The downsides might be that subjecting one's body to the rigors of the game, and competing against men with much more mature bodies and hopefully minds as well, makes young guys much more succeptible to career threatening injuries.

I wonder why those with the ability are not tracking statistics and reporting their findings. There seem to be enough forces pushing against kids leaving early to make these facts relevant to the debate. On the other hand, it is unlikely that anyone would be dissuaded from taking the money "now" because of the risk of injury. The, it won't happen to me perspective is oh so compelling until it does.

My preference for interjecting more of the soccer/princeton/triangle concepts into the game, and deemphasizing dunking (make the rims inflexible and wave off baskets when kids hang on the rim) and other behaviors that put the body more at risk than it should be (for example, call walking and palming and enforce the contact rules), and my concern about the epidemic proportion of injuries in the game, are of one piece. I think that the former make the game much more interesting and make the latter risk behavior aspects of the game less important. I understand that there are those who have a different view of the game that values above all else the excitement and wow factor that speed and athleticism definitely bring. I am not saying you all are wrong; I am just trying to advocate for a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would advise against it, but if you want to watch it...

http://www.yfly.com/media/view/53171

The consensus is the Shaun is out for a year, at least. Many think he will miss all of next season. I suppose the biggest question is if he can ever be the kind of player he was on his way to becoming.

-Jason "wow, what a horrid injury" Evans
    I just screamed at my desk, that video made MY knee hurt.

Is Sean re-habing at Duke so he can go to school too?

Hi,

Is Sean taking this opportunity to get in a year or two of college while doing a re-hab assignment?

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    I just screamed at my desk, that video made MY knee hurt.
    I don't knokw who might have seen this or if it was replayed or what, but did everyone see the guy from Michigan State dislocate his elbow in the tourney against Marquette? Most horrifying thing I've ever seen in HD!! And CBS did amazing camera work. Let me see if I can find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH8ui6Sa2WA

OK, so this is pretty graphic, but let me add that they then showed it from 3 different angles, and replayed this exact segment in slow mo, prompting Enberg to say, "I think we've seen enough of that."