Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutcliffe signs extension

Mods, move this if you need to - but ESPN is reporting that Cutcliffe signed a contract extension through 2015. Good news!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's posted on Goduke.com as well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these extensions after only one year in to the original contract. In this case however I like it. To me it shows that Duke is committed to Cutcliffe's plan, and since Coach commented on it, it shows he is committed to what Duke is doing as well. Hopefully by 2015 Cut is still our coach and we are playing in some top tier bowls. I can see it happening.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Smile History of Extensions

A real milestone.

When is the last time Duke gave a contract extension to a football coach?

sagegrouse

I think this shows that Cutcliffe has the support of White and the University. Hopefully, he will now have the resources available to continue to build the program.

Good news

Hopefully the estension will pay dividends on the field and in recruiting. Who knows we get a winning season or two under our belts and maybe I would be able to see a DUKE football game on espn or CBS from my new home far away from Durham in Vegas.

I'm not big on contract extensions, either. But-

For me, it means that Coach Cutcliffe feels that Duke will continue the fight to upgrade the football program to national prominence. Merry Christmas to all of us Duke Football Lovers!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's posted on Goduke.com as well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these extensions after only one year in to the original contract. In this case however I like it. To me it shows that Duke is committed to Cutcliffe's plan, and since Coach commented on it, it shows he is committed to what Duke is doing as well. Hopefully by 2015 Cut is still our coach and we are playing in some top tier bowls. I can see it happening.
    If we are consistantly going to the meineke car bowl and the papa john"s pizza bowl by 2015 I will honestly be very happy. Top teir bowls will take longer than 6-7 years

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    If we are consistantly going to the meineke car bowl and the papa john"s pizza bowl by 2015 I will honestly be very happy. Top teir bowls will take longer than 6-7 years
    Indeed they may. But they may not.

It is great to hear positive things about the football program. Cut is the man for the job, and I expect my university to follow through on its commitments to upgrade the facilities.

New attitude, new horizons. Go Duke.

A nice Christmas present both for Coach Cut and for Duke Football fans! Congrats Coach. Keep up the great work!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I'm not big on contract extensions, either. But-

For me, it means that Coach Cutcliffe feels that Duke will continue the fight to upgrade the football program to national prominence. Merry Christmas to all of us Duke Football Lovers!
    I'm gonna get yelled at but whatever. I LOVE coach cut and think he is going to do great things for Duke football and right the ship. In many ways he already has.

Nonetheless, signing a guy to a serious contract extension after ONE year where we won FOUR games, and lost DOUBLE that amount is ABSURD.

We are biased b/c of our love for duke but if you objectively looked at the above sentence and it was about another school (and I am factoring in the fact that 4 wins is a solid improvement for us) I think a lot of you would agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I'm gonna get yelled at but whatever. I LOVE coach cut and think he is going to do great things for Duke football and right the ship. In many ways he already has.

Nonetheless, signing a guy to a serious contract extension after ONE year where we won FOUR games, and lost DOUBLE that amount is ABSURD.

We are biased b/c of our love for duke but if you objectively looked at the above sentence and it was about another school (and I am factoring in the fact that 4 wins is a solid improvement for us) I think a lot of you would agree with me.
    Yell Yell Yell!

No, seriously, he's building a program. That was obvious from the first game on. While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't. The conditioning program started the Monday after Thanksgiving. Players are dedicated. Recruits are excited. Fans are excited. The coaches are excited about being at Duke. Can't ask for more than that, other than going to a bowl game next year

9F 9F 9F

Not a bad opinion, necessarily. But you bring that moniker "SilkyJ" out on the practice field and Vince Oghobaase is gonna tear you up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't.
    That's a really good point. Each game we were better somewhere, just not always at the same time. Next year I expect we'll see a few games where both sides of the ball is complete and it turns into victories unexpected. I think this is the last year Duke will be at the bottom of the ACC for an enjoyable future.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's a really good point.
    You're welcome! Even through my pastrami fog my brain is still functioning!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yell Yell Yell!

No, seriously, he's building a program. That was obvious from the first game on. While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't. The conditioning program started the Monday after Thanksgiving. Players are dedicated. Recruits are excited. Fans are excited. The coaches are excited about being at Duke. Can't ask for more than that, other than going to a bowl game next year
    Haha.

Don't get me wrong: I think everyone, myself included, is excited about the future, both in the near-term and the long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Not a bad opinion, necessarily. But you bring that moniker "SilkyJ" out on the practice field and Vince Oghobaase is gonna tear you up!
    I'd be sure to wear my bubble boy outfit...which might not even work.

http://fashionindie.com/wp-content/u...ubble_boy2.jpg

I take the contract extension as a strong symbolic statement of recognition of what Coach Cutcliffe has already accomplished which is much more than a four win season.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I take the contract extension as a strong symbolic statement of recognition of what Coach Cutcliffe has already accomplished which is much more than a four win season.
    Exactly! There is no doubt that the extension sends a strong message of support for the program and Coach Cutcliffe. This is the right message at the right time. Plus, there is no basis for criticizing a contract unless you have read it. For all I know, the two years of extension are voided unless we have three eight win seasons in a row and beat Carolina by 50 in year five.
    GTHC

I hope you are correct!

That's a really good point. Each game we were better somewhere, just not always at the same time. Next year I expect we'll see a few games where both sides of the ball is complete and it turns into victories unexpected. I think this is the last year Duke will be at the bottom of the ACC for an enjoyable future.
    Agreed!! As the old saying goes, I'm getting too old for this, ah, stuff!!

k

V. O.

That's a really good point.
    And tonight's word that Vince Oghobaase is coming back for his 5th (redshirt senior) season is another indication that the players have bought into Coach Cut hook, line and sinker!

9F 9F 9F