Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much is YBM paying us ...

to insult us in the column on the right side of the page? I hope it's a LOT, bless their hearts!
    Love, Ima

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Meaning the cupcake comment? I noticed that yesterday, was positive they must have been talking about Carolina. Anyways, because of cupcakes, I will never yardbark!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

What is a YBM? Is a quote needed here? Or am I just out of it?

the author of that is a fool. Period.
    the comments on the bottom agree with us

Should be YBN

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    What is a YBM? Is a quote needed here? Or am I just out of it?
    It is the Yardbarker Network that has a slot on the side of the DBR pages... Frankly, I think DBR could find better advertisers.
    DukeDevilDeb

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Firefox and Adblock, baby!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Firefox and Adblock, baby!
    Best computer advice I've had in a long-time - thanks again!

Hm. More proof, as if any was needed, that bashing Duke is a surefire way to get attention.

What schmucks.

Yardbarker is a joke, viewed mostly by drunken meatheads and those who never grow beyond the drunken meathead state after college. They're like a cross between the George Michael Sports Machine, TMZ, The Onion, and National Enquirer - yet not nearly as entertaining as a cross of those elements should be. They NEVER know when to shut up, as evidenced by their recent story about the Iowa State kid who committed suicide, which could have easily been two paragraphs shorter and a whole lot more respectable. It's the lowest common denominator, manifested in the virtual flesh.

Hm. Don't sugarcoat it; tell us what you really think.

coincidence

I just fired off a comment about it to the guys at DBR. I did it before even checking out this thread, so I'm glad I was not the only one that noticed. It also, fortunately, helps to verify to the advertisers that we check out their sites, however.

ricks

Jeez, guys, I'm sure DBR doesn't get to just pick and choose their advertisers. Ads keep this site going, so I'd rather not complain too much about them.

Angry Negative Duke advertisers on DBR

(I posted this earlier on the off-topic board, but after further consideration I figured it might also be worthy of the main board...)

k

################

The YBN (YardBarker Network) is currently advertising on the DBR web site, and this link caught my attention:

http://nogutsglory.blogspot.com/2008...-for-duke.html

EXCERPT: "If your kids love cupcakes and they can flop when an opposing player comes down the lane, then there's a spot for them in the Duke University basketball program."

Is the DBR that desperate for funding??

(I was reading the Nixon/Frost post earlier today)

k

Smile Advertise here as much as you want, YBN!

Look at it this way:

Just don't click on it! It's a waste of their money to place anti-Duke ads on a Duke website. I sort of like thinking that they have a finite advertising budget and a percentage of that money is being spent here, where they will drum up very few hits (most hits will just be people wondering "What is this crap?"), and then very little business off of those few hits.

The money that YBN is spending here to advertise could be spend almost anywhere else on the WWW and end up gaining more revenue than it will here on DBR. When considering the alternate advertising targets that the YBN's DBR advertising money is now absorbing/eliminating, I think that advertising on DBR actually detracts from this company's business prospects, and that's something we can all support!

"Is the DBR that desperate for funding??"

In an environment in which newspapers are going into bankruptcy because of a collapse in advertising revenues, I'm inclined to give the DBR folks pretty wide latitude in this area.

I seem to recall that DBR does not control the ad content; that ads are presented pursuant to contract and are triggered by key words appearing in the web page content.

Anyone recall more specifics?

Unhappy

The cupcake quote appears on my right column as I type. And it's happening as I check out the different threads.

Sounds like "destructively negative" and/or "trolling."

Seriously, some clarification/explanation from the mods would be greatly appreciated.

Right on, DukeDevilDeb!

Smile The titans -- GE, Disney and DBR

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Is the DBR that desperate for funding??"

In an environment in which newspapers are going into bankruptcy because of a collapse in advertising revenues, I'm inclined to give the DBR folks pretty wide latitude in this area.
    In fact, GE and Disney don't endorse the products showing on NBC, ABC, and ESPN. Why should we think that Julio and Bos endorse the front-page ads on DBR?

sagegrouse

More on that "barking"

Since my own Sunday thread here has now been "combined," I shall add the following which I also posted earlier - Kimist :

Actually, these comments (after second MI game) from the same ads don't leave a very pleasant taste in my mouth either:

For our money, Krzyzewski’s making the right moving in minimizing Paulus (the kid is an egomaniac who can’t shoot, take your chances with Nolan Smith)

and

...there’s another bonus from this Michigan win: Now there’s no way that we’ll be stuck watching a fraudulent Duke team take an undefeated run into ACC play. There’s nothing worse than a Duke team that gets up to 17 or 18-0 because they based around a core of mediocre talent that’s played together for three years and they’re playing against teams full of freshmen.

k