Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESPN Article: Who do (did) fans hate more: Hansbrough or Redick?

According to this author its JJ. "And its not even close"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3774980

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    According to this author its JJ. "And its not even close"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3774980
    The author is correct. Redick takes the cake in that regard. Maybe after a bit more overexposure this year, Hansbrough will gain ground. But I doubt he'll catch Redick in that dubious honor.

For what it's worth, it makes sense. Redick embraced the villain role. He was a lightning rod. Hansbrough is pretty bland persona-wise. It's easier to "hate" Redick because he was more in-your-face about how good he was.

It's part of the reason he was so fun to watch for us.

Also, Redick is a guard. Everybody hates everybody's little white guard. Guards are more detestable for some reason.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

One would bury threes in people's faces from 25 feet.

The other makes half his points with free throws.

It's easier to hate the first guy.

This might explain the answer better.

Depends who you pull for. Since I can't STAND UNC, I an't stand Hansbrough at all. Is he good, yes, but doesn't change the fact that I can't stand Hansbrough. Redick made everyone look stupid and no matter what you tried to do he would still shot and hit them everytime!

GO Duke!!!

The Steve Kerr-Duke myth was put forth in this article. Great research over there at ESPN the Mag!

That aside, the author's thesis is correct. With Hansbrough it's more of an eye-roll. You can only hear how he's the "hardest working individual in the history of the world and probably the universe" so many times before it gets old. With TH, it's annoyance and not hatred. JJ was hated, and I think his race absolutely had something to do with it.

This is one reason I dislike him!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Confident! is what that picture shows me!

That's doubly shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    The Steve Kerr-Duke myth was put forth in this article. Great research over there at ESPN the Mag!
    I noticed that and looked up what was going on. But the author wasn't saying it was the crazies that did the chant, and a quick google search reveals that it wasn't. I think you may have misinterpreted the author's statement. I think he was just saying that playing on the road can be tough and cited a few examples of mean fans.

The reason JJ was so hated was the jersey he wore, and also the fact he looked like a normal dude. Hansbrough and UNC draw less hate from fans for whatever reason. But, I'd say JJ was more hated. Look at the UMD games alone.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hansblah is a popular player on a popular team. There is such a distance between the two I don't even think the question is even worth asking. JJ alone was one of the reasons so many hated Duke. Hansblah does not carry over a hate against his entire team the way Redick did. I've never heard anyone say "I hate UNC because they have Tyler". I heard plenty of "I hate Duke because of Redick".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

After Redick, who is the most hated Duke player? I'll go with Greg Paulus. Even on Duke message boards I have seen some Paulus hate.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsdevil View Post
    After Redick, who is the most hated Duke player? I'll go with Greg Paulus. Even on Duke message boards I have seen some Paulus hate.
    Laettner, no question. On current roster, yes, it's Paulus. Coming off the bench will quiet that some though, I think.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I noticed that and looked up what was going on. But the author wasn't saying it was the crazies that did the chant, and a quick google search reveals that it wasn't. I think you may have misinterpreted the author's statement. I think he was just saying that playing on the road can be tough and cited a few examples of mean fans.
    You may be right, although I think the author was attributing it to the Crazies. For one thing, I've heard that story told as being Duke students, but not any other ACC school's fans. Second, it was done in a paragraph referencing how ACC fans in particular can be cruel/humorous, and the first two stories were of Duke students (a discussion of ASU fans wouldn't be relevant in a column about the ACC). I suppose it could've been a reference to another ACC fan base, but I've never heard that version of the story.

Oh well.

I miss him so much! I will never get over him. Just the sound in any arena he played in, the collective inhale and then the swish!
    Geez, he was poetry....

That's one of my all-time favorite pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Also, Redick is a guard. Everybody hates everybody's little white guard. Guards are more detestable for some reason.
    That's because you can go to your local Y and find a bunch of 6'4, 190 pound white guys who can shoot the three but you're not going to find many 6'9 250 pound beasts. J.J. was so hated because of the fact he was just a another white guard who could out there and rip the other teams heart out and letting the crowd know he was the best. And oh yeah, he played for Duke, that in itself makes him more hated than similar players on other teams.

JJ is my favorite Duke player of modern times (whatever that means. Post-Laettner, maybe). But I did like Jason Williams a lot. I probably ought to have a copy of the Texas game, and the way JJ destroyed them, to watch when I am down. But, honestly, when the chips were really on the line (NCAAs), JJ just didn't bring it. I know he had unbelievable defense on him, but they weren't falling.
    He was great, but couldn't get off the shot as easily as Curry1 (God, I hope there aren't more than 2!). I think, however, in an uncontested game of shooting 3s, JJ would have won. We will never know. Curry1 is a wonderful player, though, and I look forward to seeing him play Duke this year. Just don't let him get 40 against us!