Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Seeing a game at Cameron for the first time: Help!

Finally, after 15 years, I'm going down to Cameron for a game. I live in Philly and this is a big deal for me, so I'm really stoked for this. I'll be at the VTech game on the 4th. I was hoping you guys would be able to give me some pointers and whatnot. And yes, I did a forum search before starting a new topic, but I wasn't able to find anything too helpful regarding what I need. Okay, so basically...

Game:
    - I got tickets in Section 19. The game is at 7:45. What time do you recommend I get there to line up, since it's general admission?
    - Any other game-related tips I should know or be aware of?

Misc:
    - I'll be spending a few days in the Durham/Raleigh area, so any suggestions on activities, or specific sights, or restaurants, or any other places that are "must-see" while I'm down there.. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Ahh, I swear I searched! Sorry, I suck. Haha, thanks though.

Edit: Okay well that thread helped somewhat. But I'm still very curious what you guys think about the timing for the general admission aspect. And also non-Duke related activities for my additional days in the area. So any help on those aspects would be fab.
    Last edited by Kim*; 12-17-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post
    I'm sure you did. The problem with searches is you have to put in the right words to get what you're looking for. I knew that thread existed, and when I scrolled to the bottom of the page with this thread open, I found it.

Hope you have fun here in Durham and at Cameron. I've yet to see a MBB ACC game in Cameron so am a little jealous you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post

Edit: Okay well that thread helped somewhat. But I'm still very curious what you guys think about the timing for the general admission aspect. And also non-Duke related activities for my additional days in the area. So any help on those aspects would be fab.
    The doors open 90 minutes before tip off. How early you want to get there depends on where you want to sit in section 19 - the earlier the better. Those are the student seats and some of them will be there. I'm sure K'ville will be inhabited by Jan 4th.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Make sure you go to the Angus Barn. That was always my favorite for a special occasion, and your first game certainly qualifies. It's down I-70 OR I-40 (there's a connector road that runs right across the airport) about halfway to Raleigh, right by the airport. Get a reservation to be safe. Have a great time!

http://www.angusbarn.com/welcome.html

Vistiting Durham for VT game on 1/4/09

Hey! My buddy is the head trainer for VT and he got me tickets to the game. I am a Hokie, but love the Devils so this is a great expierence for me. My wife and I are going to make a weekend of it. Anybody have any suggestions on where we should stay, go(she loves primitive antiques....i love beer), any bars or pubs, or just any suggestions on things we should do in town. I appreciate any suggestions made. Thank you!

I know I'm harping on Angus Barn, but it does have a great bar to wait for your table at. It's very rustic, but it's an AWESOME steakhouse. Thanks to its atmosphere, I like it better than Morton's or Ruth's Chris. The food is so close to as good it's really a toss up, but you get way more for your money.

I don't know if they even exist or are as good any more, but I used to love Satisfaction's (for the drinks and the pizza) and Bullocks (barbecue) when I was at Duke.

As for where to stay, depends on how fancy you like to be. Are you just looking for a place to stay, or are you looking to go all out?

If you want to go all out:
    1. My parents and I LOVED the Fearington Inn, which is a little ways away over on the other side of Chapel Hill. They have beautiful rooms that are each unique and the belted gallaway (oreo cookie) cows, which are really cool.
    2. The Washington Duke Inn is pretty cool too.
    3. The Il Siena in Chapel Hill is all right, but I wasn't impressed for the money.

A little less:
    1. I've stayed at the Courtyard by Mariott in Durham, which was fine.
    2. I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Chapel Hill, which was fine (it's run by the business school at UNC, but they do a good job and don't hold your Dukie-ness against you).

I've found the Homewood Suites in Durham off 15/501 to be a great, reasonably priced place to stay. It's fairly convenient to campus.

I love the Angus Barn for their bar (the wild turkey lounge) but the food is very good, just not great. It's located at the intersection of Lumley Rd. and US 70. You actually have to get on the on-ramp from Lumley onto US 70 East to get to the Angus Barn's driveway.

You may want to trek over to the new American Tobacco complex. It's in downtown Durham near the ballpark. Tyler's taproom is a nice "American grill" type of restaurant with a great beer selection. The Brightleaf Square area has some good restaurants/bars. Go to Satisfaction's for the "Duke bar" flair. Then pub crawl over to James Joyce, Federal, Down Under...

You're killin' the Angus, man? Ouch. Dude, I could make a meal with the flatbread crackers and cheese spread alone. Heck, I have. You can buy it and take it home. Even the salads are good, and I'm not a salad guy. I love that place. Maybe it's gone downhill in the last year since I was last there? That would really depress me.

The best part is that it's one of the few good places that ISN'T a darn chain. It's probably my single favorite restaurant, period. I certainly haven't found one I like better. The atmosphere, the friendliness of the staff, the decor, the food, the bar, the reasonable prices for what you get... I just think it all comes together so well. IMHO, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    You're killin' the Angus, man? Ouch. Dude, I could make a meal with the flatbread crackers and cheese spread alone. Heck, I have. You can buy it and take it home. Even the salads are good, and I'm not a salad guy. I love that place. Maybe it's gone downhill in the last year since I was last there? That would really depress me.

The best part is that it's one of the few good places that ISN'T a darn chain. It's probably my single favorite restaurant, period. I certainly haven't found one I like better. The atmosphere, the friendliness of the staff, the decor, the food, the bar, the reasonable prices for what you get... I just think it all comes together so well. IMHO, of course...
    Amen.

Amen.

Amen, hallelujah.

Mmmmmmm (drooling...)

Of course, AB's only been my favorite since they closed the Rathskeller in Chapel Hell.

Don't even get me started on the crackers/cheese/olives/peppers bar. I've made a meal of that spread plus healthy servings of wine or whisky in the WTL more times than I can count. I've spent way too many hours at the AB. If I want a really good steak, however, I'll either go to Ruth's Chris (overpriced but better) or Prime Only (cheaper and better).

I hear ya on the chain part. Best part of moving from Cary to Durham was the increase on my non-chain options over here.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Don't even get me started on the crackers/cheese/olives/peppers bar. I've made a meal of that spread plus healthy servings of wine or whisky in the WTL more times than I can count. I've spent way too many hours at the AB.
    Can I get an Amen?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    If I want a really good steak, however, I'll either go to Ruth's Chris (overpriced but better) or Prime Only (cheaper and better).
    I disagree. The best prime rib I've EVER had was at AB.

I agree, the Barn is great, and I ate there last month and it is as good as ever. But if you don't have reservations, you can eat in the bar area without waiting for a couple of hours for a table. So either make a reservation (call today!) or eat in the bar.

The crackers and celery with the crocks of cheddar cheese (both yellow and white cheddar) are fabulous. The steaks are out of this world good. And ordering a salad (it used to be included but its not anymore) is well worth it. For the price of the steak only at Ruth's Chris, you get your entire meal at the Barn. Thad Eure knew how to run a restaurant, and now his daughter does a bang-up job.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Can I get an Amen?

I disagree. The best prime rib I've EVER had was at AB.
    Typically, prime Rib is not a steak, it's a roast. And yes, there is a major difference. DukeUsul said "a really good steak", not "a really good roast".

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Typically, prime Rib is not a steak, it's a roast. And yes, there is a major difference. DukeUsul said "a really good steak", not "a really good roast".
    NEVER question the AB.

Yeah, the prime rib there is phenomenal (Jim Rome impersonation necessary) at the Barn. Try to go on their anniversary (sometime in early June). We did it last year by accident, and they were giving out free stuff, including cocktails. It was the 47th anniversary. I'm hoping to be there for the 50th in a couple years. Wonder what they'll do then?

Hey Kim*,

The best thing is to get there at least 1.5 hours before the tip-off. Reason: the opposing team takes the court for warm-ups, and the Crazies (a former Crazie myself) get cranked up against them. That's a great, fun time.

Have fun, yell a lot!

dukestheheat

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Hey Kim*,

The best thing is to get there at least 1.5 hours before the tip-off. Reason: the opposing team takes the court for warm-ups, and the Crazies (a former Crazie myself) get cranked up against them. That's a great, fun time.

Have fun, yell a lot!

dukestheheat
    Well according to others, 1.5 hours before tip-off is when the doors open. So shouldn't I get there well before then to line up if I want to get a decent spot?