Early Review: Yes Man

Ummm, there is no easy way to put this. Jim Carrey is getting old. I am not talking about his schtick, though some would argue that is getting old too, I am talking about his physical age. I mean, In Living Color first went on the air in 1990. Once Bitten, which was the first time I saw him with Lauren Hutten as a vampire searching for virgin blood, was in 1985. The dude has been around for a loooong time.

Anyway, I point this out because Jim is now 47 and, in Yes Man, his age was starting to show. His love interest in the flick is Zooey Deschanel, who is still in her mid-20s, and their story was creepy at times because of the age thing. It just bothered me and I wonder how Jim Carrey's zany humor is going to play as the lines on his face become more pronounced. Ace Ventura with a walker is not something I want to see

You probably know the plot of Yes Man. Down on his luck and depressed about life guy who always says no to everything goes to a self-help seminar and walks out deciding to say Yes to everything. It felt a bit like Carrey's film Liar, Liar in that saying yes required Carrey to do all kinds of seemingly silly things that turned out good in the end -- sorta like having to tell the truth all the time leading to good things.

Make no mistake, this movie still had some funny parts, plenty of them. There are a few quite memorable scenes, including one with a grandmotherly next-door-neighbor that will be etched in your brain forever! Jim Carrey is good, he always is, but he has been better in the past. It is not a bad film, but it is not a very good one either.

The story is thin and drags a bit at times. There is almost nothing surprising that happens in the whole thing. The message is somewhat obvious. I did not find many of the side characters all that interesting and, aside from Carrey, the film really lacks any star power. The best side-character is Carrey's boss at work, who is silly but amusing. I sorta wish the film had fleshed his character out a bit more.

I am sure it will do alright business, Jim Carrey along probably guarantees at least an 80 million dollar boxoffice take, but I have a hard time telling folks this one is worth the price of admission. My advice would be to wait for it on DVD -- or maybe wait for cable.

--Jason "if you are looking for a comedy, I think Four Christmases was better" Evans

For reference-- Jim Carrey in Once Bitten--

From the previews I've seen, it doesn't look good at all. But I can't remember the last time Jim was funny.

Jason Evans writes: "Jim Carrey is good, he always is, but he has been better in the past."

So are you saying, "I've had better?"

I've had better.jpg

-EarlJam

Nice to see "Maury" from Flight of the Conchords getting some dough. Probably not too much though, as this film sure looks like a stinker.

Those of us who just turned 50 in November resent the implication that 47 is "long in the tooth."

That is all.

Never been a big Jim Carrey fan, although liked his work on "Living Colour" -- a show that always brought smiles to my face. Enjoyed the first "Pet De" flick, but... IMHO his best work was in a TV MOW "...Maple Drive."

A dramatic role.... far from thus which has made him a BO 'hit' But a really performance. Perhaps he should have stayed with drama rather than comedy?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    But I can't remember the last time Jim was funny.
    Why don't ya' eat up and we'll tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Why don't ya' eat up and we'll tell ya!

That's what I was thinking. I was 16 at the time, so it was perfect for me.

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the review. Carrey just isn't the same comic actor that he was in the early 90's.

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but you get access to some early viewings of films, correct? If so, I hope you get to see Defiance, and I look forward to your take on it. I am really looking forward to the early buzz from critics, hoping it turns out to be as good as it looks promising. The fact I love WWII history and WWII flicks/projects (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, The Longest Day) doesn't hurt.

It's not the first time

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jim is now 47 and, in Yes Man, his age was starting to show. His love interest in the flick is Zooey Deschanel, who is still in her mid-20s, and their story was creepy at times because of the age thing.
    This is often true in Hollywood, which seems to take the poisition that no woman over 30 can have a romantic role and be seen as a sexy/attractive lead. I've heard actress talk about the frustration with this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Hey Jason,

Thanks for the review. Carrey just isn't the same comic actor that he was in the early 90's.

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but you get access to some early viewings of films, correct? If so, I hope you get to see Defiance, and I look forward to your take on it. I am really looking forward to the early buzz from critics, hoping it turns out to be as good as it looks promising. The fact I love WWII history and WWII flicks/projects (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, The Longest Day) doesn't hurt.
    Amen to this post! Defiance looks great. Saw the trailer for the first time last night.

Also, any word on "The Soloist?"

The previews for that movie made me tear up immediately (I know, wimp) and it features two great actors in Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx.

Looking forward to the reviews!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    This is often true in Hollywood, which seems to take the poisition that no woman over 30 can have a romantic role and be seen as a sexy/attractive lead. I've heard actress talk about the frustration with this as well.
    There are plenty of movies like that, execept their "advanced" age is part of the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I just got back from a screening of The Spirit. Eva Mendes, who is 34, and Sarah Paulson, also 34, play very sexy (especially Mendes) female leads in this flick. If anything, they are made to be more attractive (in this movie) than the 24 year old Scarlett Johanssen.

--Jason "which would folks like to get first, my preview of The Spirit or Valkyrie-- I've seen em both" Evans

I just got back from a screening of The Spirit. Eva Mendes, who is 34, and Sarah Paulson, also 34, play very sexy (especially Mendes) female leads in this flick. If anything, they are made to be more attractive (in this movie) than the 24 year old Scarlett Johanssen.

--Jason "which would folks like to get first, my preview of The Spirit or Valkyrie-- I've seen em both" Evans
    My vote's for Valkyrie!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Hey, I am jazzed for it too, but I have to tell you that the buzz on Defiance is that it is not all that good. We'll see, but it is worth noting that it is getting a lousy release date (post-Xmas when everyone is headed back to school and paying attention to football). Also, this is a historical drama and that type of film tends to compete for audience with the same movies that are going to be getting a lot of attention in January as Oscar nominees and Golden Globe winners. I am betting that this one does not really move the meter very much at the boxoffice.

Sorry, but that is my take on what will happen with Defiance.

--Jason "I hope I am dead wrong about it!" Evans

Hey, I am jazzed for it too, but I have to tell you that the buzz on Defiance is that it is not all that good. We'll see, but it is worth noting that it is getting a lousy release date (post-Xmas when everyone is headed back to school and paying attention to football). Also, this is a historical drama and that type of film tends to compete for audience with the same movies that are going to be getting a lot of attention in January as Oscar nominees and Golden Globe winners. I am betting that this one does not really move the meter very much at the boxoffice.

Sorry, but that is my take on what will happen with Defiance.

--Jason "I hope I am dead wrong about it!" Evans
    Yeah, the release date doesn't bode too well. I would definitely like your review on Valkyrie, since it's another WW II flick.

Eva Mendes, who is 34, and Sarah Paulson, also 34, play very sexy (especially Mendes) female leads in this flick. If anything, they are made to be more attractive (in this movie) than the 24 year old Scarlett Johanssen.
    IMO, Eva Mendes is always more attractive than Scarlett Johanssen.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    IMO, Eva Mendes is always more attractive than Scarlett Johanssen.
    I did a google image search to prove this wrong... and I had very little luck. Whew, Eva is smoking! The best I could get was the following --

If that is the "I am out for a walk with no makeup and trying to avoid the cameras" worst you can do... well, you are doing just fine.

--Jason "lets just say they are both drop dead gorgeous and leave it at that" Evans

Anyway, I point this out because Jim is now 47 and, in Yes Man, his age was starting to show. His love interest in the flick is Zooey Deschanel, who is still in her mid-20s, and their story was creepy at times because of the age thing.
    Though I haven't seen Jim Carrey in the past couple years, I do have to admit that for a man who, at a glance, would seem to be fairly average/goofy looking. There have definitely been times in his movies where I've found him very attractive. In general, as someone in her late 20's, I'd find the idea of a relationship with a man in his late 40's a little creepy, but Jim Carrey is attractive in an odd way. So while I'm not much interested in the movie I'm intrigued as to whether I'd also think he is starting to look old and whether I'd find the young love interest to be creepy or not.