Yellow line on monitor

I have a thin yellow line running down the screen of my monitor. Just happened this morning. Any thought as to what it is, what happens next, how long before it self destructs?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is it a laptop? There are two things it can be. One is a loose connection to the motherboard. Do you notice any difference if you move the monitor? The other is the cable (called a flex cable) is defective. Both are relatively simple repairs, but you'd want to take it to a shop to perform the labor. If it's a stand alone LCD screen, then I have no idea.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I have a thin yellow line running down the screen of my monitor. Just happened this morning. Any thought as to what it is, what happens next, how long before it self destructs?
    It is is a double yellow line, it means you can't cross it to pass
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It is is a double yellow line, it means you can't cross it to pass
    Thanks Ozzie--I will not pass over the line nor pass go.

It is not a laptop, but my I-Mac monitor.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks Ozzie--I will not pass over the line nor pass go.

My guess is it will still be a problem with the cable that transfers the data to the board from the input source, but you will have to take it to shop. I know squat about Mac hardware.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My guess is it will still be a problem with the cable that transfers the data to the board from the input source, but you will have to take it to shop. I know squat about Mac hardware.
    That's what the genius bar at the Apple store is for

9F 9F 9F

What size iMac? What generation (processor)?
    Sorry to hear about your iMac. Do you have AppleCare? Our Apple Certified tech believes that there was a warranty extension for this issue, but that it might've just expired. Unfortunately, I believe there isn't much that you can do with iMac display repair. My advice is that you contact your local Apple Store, and describe the problem and go from there.

Also, count your blessings that you don't have one of the Apple Studio Display CRTs. What a pile those things were. I was surprised to find one, still running, in a customer's office in October.

P.S. PM me if you need some help.

It is a G-5, I believe 1.9 GHz. I will probably take it to my dealer after the holidays--I hope this is not a sign of impending doom.

It is a G-5, I believe 1.9 GHz. I will probably take it to my dealer after the holidays--I hope this is not a sign of impending doom.
    I'd be cautiously optimistic. If there were numerous cases for this and Apple issued a warranty extension, then it most likely means they have a fix. But here's the deal: Apple has a spotty record on display quality. I can't tell you how many main deflection boards or power supplies I replaced in the older CRTs (used to work for a VAR/Apple Reseller and Certified Repair Shop years ago that catered to Graphic Arts/Printing). At the time, you couldn't get a professional color display for less than $3,000 and the Apple displays were far cheaper, both in price and quality. I suppose not much has changed in 10 years. Good luck!

Thank to everyone. (even Ozzie)

I didn't have time to do the reading, but it looks like this is not an unheard of issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread...hreadID=885587

I don't know how to get rid of it, but if you cross it you will get a first down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    I don't know how to get rid of it, but if you cross it you will get a first down.
    Interesting reference. The son of one of our prominent posters works (or worked) for the company that does the graphics for many sporting events. I'll be he knows how to get rid of that yellow line!

Ohioguy2, you're welcome!

9F 9F 9F