View Poll Results: Would you participate in a reality show?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can deal with the time away from everything in the quest for glory.

11 47.83%
  • No, I'd rather stay home and watch.

12 52.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Could you do a reality show?

Was watching the Survivor finale ad, and was thinking "Hell I could do that". But then REALITY set in. Unless they film whatever reality show I elected to do in the dead of the summer, I couldn't do it.
    Missing any other sports season besides summer is not worth any money to me. I'm serious. I could win a million dollars, but to me seeing Duke win the NC, or my team win the Superbowl, or all of the way smaller drama moments in between in college (Duke mostly) and pro wouldn't be worth the money. PLUS you have to figure you are away from your family. And you are away from your work. Could you do it? Would you? Would you be prepared for if you actually won?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yes

I'd love to do The Amazing Race, and I know who I want to do it with - a fellow Dukie. But I don't want them to label us "Fraternity Brothers", although that is what we are. But after watching the two dufouses this season, even thought they amazingly finished third, they gave us frat brothers a bad name.

I'd have a problem with Survivor as I hate the bugs, although I'd love to do it as a weight loss program. Plus, I'm too dominant/outgoing a personality to put up with all the crap from the weak players for long - I would find it very hard to play under the radar. I could do it for a week or two, but then I'd be reading (weeks later) Jason Evan's posts about how dumb it was of me to say something and that it would lead to my downfall (Jason, I really do love reading your posts.)

There are several fellow DBR readers/posters that I would consider as partners for The Amazing Race as well, and they are not fraternity brothers Good tail-gaters make good partners!
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 12-14-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Amended partner list :)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I could do the supersize me thing then be on the biggest loser.

I want to do The Amazing Race. The key to a successful team is good communication. I've thought about doing it with my brother. I think that since we've known each other for that long, we could stay focused enough to make it into the top three.

I think I read somewhere that the most recent season of The Amzaing Race took 23 days to record. I'd have to plan carefully to miss that much time away from work, but it would certainly be the experience of a lifetime. And I already know what I would do with the $$$ I'd win.

I really do want to do this show.

Nope not me. I like my life as is...I don't watch any reality shows any more either.

Don't think I could do any of them, but I need to do biggest loser!

Where's the "No, and I would never watch one" entry?

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    I could do the supersize me thing then be on the biggest loser.
    I was gonna vote 'No' in the poll until I read your post. Now if they only had Biggest Loser 'Internet Friends', you and I could be onto something.

I could do Survivor. I can deal with bugs and heat. My wife seems to think I'd do well (she's been begging me to try out). I'm not uber-athletic, so I wouldn't be seen as a physical threat. I'm pretty smart (IMHO) and I get along very very well with people. I'm also just outgoing enough to fit in, but I don't have a dominant personality nor would I hide in the corner. Of course, now that we have a baby at home, it would be that much harder to go. Probably should have applied two years ago.

I would do Amazing Race. Don't know if it is still on, but there was a program called Ballroom Bootcamp on TLC or Discovery and I would do that.

I'd love to do the Amazing Race. (Although I'd like time to run a few marathons to build up my stamina.

Survivor...(well, as a fair blonde of Nordic heritage, I'd LOVE it if they'd choose a cold climate where I wouldn't burn to a crisp). I realize that would eliminate all those bikinis and buff dudes showing off their abs, so...I'm dreaming a pipe dream. And, I have no problem with bugs, snakes, or other critters.

But...imagine a Survivor in Canada, or Iceland, or New Zealand in winter. Anyone else agree?

Unless they make a brand new show called "Lovin' rsvman" and pack it with, say, 15 or 20 gorgeous women all wanting me, I won't be doing any reality shows anytime soon.

I don't watch them anymore, either, except for "Top Chef," which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Unless they make a brand new show called "Lovin' rsvman" and pack it with, say, 15 or 20 gorgeous women all wanting me, I won't be doing any reality shows anytime soon.

I don't watch them anymore, either, except for "Top Chef," which I love.
    Maybe you should try out for The Bachelor.

Depends on what sort of tv.

I would love to be subjected to a show like what not to wear or if there was a queer eye for the straight gal.
    But I would absolutely dread being immortalized on videotape as the dork I am.
    So then the question is - is the reward of a makeover and new wardrobe you don't have to pay for worth the mortification?
    Anyone know what the spending limit is on a show like that? It would affect my answer to the poll.

I was also talking with a colleague yesterday about being on deal or no deal. We were pretty confident that there has to be some sort of formula for the amounts that the banker uses. (There is insurance for the payouts, and in order to get that insurance, we were thinking that the show would have to disclose some of those sorts of facts about the game.) So if you could just work out what the formula is, could you get pretty far? (I actually ran a spreadsheet on this once, but couldn't figure it out. Of course, I had a sample size of one show...)

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I was also talking with a colleague yesterday about being on deal or no deal. We were pretty confident that there has to be some sort of formula for the amounts that the banker uses. (There is insurance for the payouts, and in order to get that insurance, we were thinking that the show would have to disclose some of those sorts of facts about the game.) So if you could just work out what the formula is, could you get pretty far? (I actually ran a spreadsheet on this once, but couldn't figure it out. Of course, I had a sample size of one show...)
    Of course the banker has a formula, but knowing it would not increase your chances of "going far" in the show. The show is entirely based on probabilities, and there is no skill involved. A rudimentary understanding of probability mathematics would make a player much less likely to turn down $200K only to go home with $5, like one hapless guy I saw, but there's no way to "work" the system since it's just random numbers.

Also, it's a game show, not a reality show, so it's not really what people have been talking about in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Depends on what sort of tv.

I would love to be subjected to a show like what not to wear or if there was a queer eye for the straight gal.
    But I would absolutely dread being immortalized on videotape as the dork I am.
    So then the question is - is the reward of a makeover and new wardrobe you don't have to pay for worth the mortification?
    Anyone know what the spending limit is on a show like that? It would affect my answer to the poll.
    Last time I saw what not to wear, the budget was $5,000 in NYC.

Put me down as another one who could use "The Biggest Loser", but I can't see how people can spend months away from their family and jobs. Only reality show I see myself on is "Cops"

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Last time I saw what not to wear, the budget was $5,000 in NYC.
    Hmmmm. not so much worth what shreds of dignity I still have. Now I can answer the poll. Thanks!

I've applied to Big Brother 4 times now. I agree with the whole missing a Duke season thing. Big Brother is filmed from June(ish) until September(ish) so in all actuality, I wouldn't miss much.

I will be on that show, dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    I've applied to Big Brother 4 times now. I agree with the whole missing a Duke season thing. Big Brother is filmed from June(ish) until September(ish) so in all actuality, I wouldn't miss much.

I will be on that show, dang it.
    Good luck, and we will root real hard for you to win it! I'm sure you'll wear lots of Duke stuff in the house!

What happened to your Chris Carawell avatar picture? Having taken the picture, I liked seeing it
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com