Iliotibial band problems

I'm young and already having problems with this thing. I've had to stop running now for the last 3 months. I have a couple of stretches that have been recommended to me but it doesn't seem to completely be working. Anyone have any tips on how to self-treat this?

Red face Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I'm young and already having problems with this thing. I've had to stop running now for the last 3 months. I have a couple of stretches that have been recommended to me but it doesn't seem to completely be working. Anyone have any tips on how to self-treat this?
    Have you PM'd greybeard? He has a lot of stretches for things.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I've been running for many moons (okay, 3 decades) and had the ITB problems for a while. In addition to the stretches, there are a few exercises you can do that help.

For ITB, and for runner's health in general, it's very important to have the right mechanics, including stride length. After 20 years of running, I found out that I was an "over-strider". Needless to say, this made me feel a little silly. It took a lot of time and effort to change the habit and was well worth it. After shortening my stride, I've been running injury free (knock wood).

There's a test you can do to determine your correct stride length, I'll look for a link.

I agree with Lavabe, Greybeard is the go to guy on these topics.

Be careful. I know nothing about the medical aspect of it, but I really messed up my IT band about 2 months ago playing basketball and I'm still feeling it. I've tried to lay off and slowly get back to playing, but I think I've made it worse. I can run and jump a bit, but I have virtually no side-to-side movement.

Please take care of it and see a pro if it continues.

We do have one (or more) ortho surgeons who read/post/lurk here. Perhaps he'll comment. Paging billy!