Computer issue - need help

My daughter's XP computer starts up but then flashes between the wallpaper with no icons or menus to having icons and menus. This happens on c. 5 sec cycle. No right click for the desktop.

In one of the cycles, when it was on the menu, I started running antivirus.

Any thoughts or suggestions (besides buying a Mac)?
    Thanks,
    rthomas
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My daughter's XP computer starts up but then flashes between the wallpaper with no icons or menus to having icons and menus. This happens on c. 5 sec cycle. No right click for the desktop.

In one of the cycles, when it was on the menu, I started running antivirus.

Any thoughts or suggestions (besides buying a Mac)?
    Thanks,
    rthomas
    I have had a similar problem with my XP Media edition Gateway. Sometimes when booting I get to the background but never get icons nor a taskbar. I have to restart the computer with the power switch to reboot. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 reboots for it to boot "normal". It does not do this every time - just wehn it is incomvenient. When I talked to a tech he said first reload Windows. If that doesn't fix the problem, then the hard drive is getting ready to crash and it needs to be replaced.

I "solved" the problem by giving that computer to my wife and buying this Acer 8.9" screen one that we have talked about in the gadget thread. Well, it solved the problem for me, anyway
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It sounds like a profile issue. Boot to safe mode, (pressing f8 at boot) and log in as Administrator. See if the same thing happens. If not, log off and log on as your user (still in safe mode). If it happens with that user still, log back in as administrator and create a new user. You can then copy over documents and settings to your new profile.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks! I'll try it.
    ~rthomas

A simple reinstall might work

I ran into a similar problem (icons et al appear/flash after cold boot, and then totally disappear) after updating my antivirus stuff (software, not the mere data files). Same is currently Trend Micro Internet Security Pro.

A computer "expert" I consulted said the world was coming to an end, hard drive was shot, had to reload Windows XP, registry was fried, and so on. I finally went "backwards" in time, first uninstalled completely the original AV stuff, and then reinstalled the updated software. Everything works fine and has done so for several months.

(I also have Win XP and Gateway/emachine computer. Vista is still in the box and will probably remain there!)

My best (layman) guess is there is/was some kind of conflict occurring between the MS "built-in" AV software and the commercially bought same.

k

Since this thread seems to have drawn in a few tech experts, does anyone know what would cause programs to crash (most notably, IE and Firefox) when I try to print on my mom's computer? I just installed a new one for her over the weekend, the old one was fine, but she bought a new one instead of replacement toner for the old. Went through the install just fine, the printer shows up as available. I changed it to the default printer and opened a webpage with Firefox, clicked on Print, and it instantly shuts down Firefox (also does the same for IE, Notepad, Word, etc) and says an error has caused it to crash. Any suggestions on what to do to correct this, outside of going back to the old printer? TIA for any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I "solved" the problem by giving that computer to my wife and buying this Acer 8.9" screen one that we have talked about in the gadget thread. Well, it solved the problem for me, anyway
    Did you give your wife a piece of jewelry to go along with the "gift" of the computer?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Since this thread seems to have drawn in a few tech experts, does anyone know what would cause programs to crash (most notably, IE and Firefox) when I try to print on my mom's computer? I just installed a new one for her over the weekend, the old one was fine, but she bought a new one instead of replacement toner for the old. Went through the install just fine, the printer shows up as available. I changed it to the default printer and opened a webpage with Firefox, clicked on Print, and it instantly shuts down Firefox (also does the same for IE, Notepad, Word, etc) and says an error has caused it to crash. Any suggestions on what to do to correct this, outside of going back to the old printer? TIA for any ideas.
    Most likely a driver issue. If it's an HP, make sure you uninstall ALL of the HP software that was with the old printer first, and then reinstall after a reboot. To double check the problem turn off the PC's ability to reboot after a system crash. Right click My Computer, select Options, and then Advanced. Under Startup and Recovery, select Settings, and then uncheck Automatically restart. The next time it crashes, you will get a blue screen with the error that caused the shutdown.

P.S. If it's just IE and/firefox shutting down, and not the whole PC, then the above steps won't matter. But it will still most likely be a driver issue.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Pardon me for asking this, but have you rebooted since installation? I know it's butt-obvious, but it's an easy thing to forget-- I wish I had a dime for every time some inexplicable problem bugged me and I forgot to reboot. Also note that with laptops you sometimes have to pull the battery.

HP usually has two sets of drivers: the consumer one that ships with the printer, and one you can download aimed at network admins. The admin one has a lot less bloat (and associated problems).

-jk