Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

sam gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Since I don't know the facts, and I doubt that you do either, I can't comment on the the Sam Gilbert issue one way or the other.

I think calling Coach Wooden a cheat based on what is known is also way over the top , inappropriate and offensive. I repeat, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    For a good summary of the Sam Gilbert connection to UCLA, try this story by Dan Wetzel:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yhoo&type=lgns

Look, I was the first one in this thread to mention Sam Gilbert. I brought it up to counter the deification of Wooden by some posters. I'm not sure it's fair to call him a cheater, but it's equally wrong-headed to suggest that he was simon pure.

We KNOW that Gilbert was paying the players on Wooden's championship teams. We KNOW that Wooden knew about it (and his only response was to say "I don't like it"). We KNOW that Gilbert, who also used his construction business to launder drug money, was later censured by the NCAA and forced to sever his connections to the UCLA program -- but only after Wooden's retirement.

Does that make Wooden a cheater? Does the fact that after 15 years of moderate success at UCLA that he only started winning championships when Gilbert started buying him players mean that he's a basketball genius?

Cheater might be a bit strong, but it's hardly "over the top and inappropriate."

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    You may be technically correct, but it is the same point. Standard baskets cause young children to develop bad shooting form - a habit that can be hard to unlearn.
    Regular sized basket balls too. I said I was picking nits. Thanks for making an extremely valuable point.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72
    As I said, I have nothing more to say to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72
    I think calling Coach Wooden a cheat based on what is known is also way over the top , inappropriate and offensive. I repeat, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    And as I said, step of your high horse. Childish and pointless.

BTW, the "off his rocker" remark was said in jest. Nothing was meant by it. Obviously he's not a lunatic -- him suggesting the rim be raised by a foot, however, is, in fact, insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    And as I said, step of your high horse. Childish and pointless.

BTW, the "off his rocker" remark was said in jest. Nothing was meant by it. Obviously he's not a lunatic -- him suggesting the rim be raised by a foot, however, is, in fact, insane.
    It's obvious that some people did not read the actual article. Wooden said he would not want to raise the basket by a foot. "Not a full foot. That would be too much." He also came across as quite sane.

Tropical

For a comedic look at the play that caused the "raise the rim" controvery in the '70's, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKcIjbhsHE

IMO, this play is as equally fun to watch whether the ball is dunked or not. David Thompson would take your breath away when he was on the receiving end of this play during the NCAA's dunking Prohibition era.

As for Coach Wooden, he certainly wasn't enriching himself if didn't report the aforementioned transgressions. There are assistant coaches today being paid way more than he was (relatively speaking).