Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watching Steve Blake fail still brings a smile to my face

For those who haven't seen the SportsCenter segment, Blake, who was 31-33 from the line coming into the game, missed 4/5 free throws in the last 20 seconds of the Blazers game tonight. Portland was up by a deuce when he missed three straight, and after the Clippers failed to score on the ensuing possession, they put ol' Johnny Rockets at the stripe again. He hit one of two, then Baron Davis came down the court and tied the game with a trey to put it into OT. The Clippers won. Always liked Juan Dixon better than that twerp.

Steve Blake went on to miss four of five free throw attempts for the Blazers before Davis' 3-pointer. Blake went into the game having made 31 of 33 free throws over the Blazers' first 24 games.
    "Yeah, I'm taking it personally, of course," Blake said. "The game was on my shoulders and I let them down."
    I agree he was not a likeable player against Duke. I didn't like MD getting a NCAA title when he played for them. He is getting minutes while Shavlik only gets to suit up in practice.

Is Johnny Rockets still in business?

A little trivia. Thad Lewis is from Blake's high school and the former NCSU point guard Chris Corchioni (sp.) is also from there. Chris' dad Gabe was the bb coach back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Apparently still going strong: http://www.johnnyrockets.com/index2.php

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    As long as people crave happiness there will be a Johnny Rockets.

Twerps

Just one step above the unc Tar Heels. Go Duke!

I think he was merely interviewing for the sequel to the movie "white men can't jump".

Yea, he's averaging 11 points and 4 assists in his sixth NBA season. That certainly makes him the subject of ridicule.

I'd take Blake on my team any day of the week. He was a terrific competitor in college and has gone way beyond what anyone predicted in his pro career (not only is he starting but, I believe, a local sportscaster said he makes about 5 million a year). He returns to Maryland every summer and has a basketball camp for young kids. He was interviewed by the local TV station when back in the area and he seems to have matured (married, one kid and one on the way). He also took Maryland guard, Eric Hayes, under his wing this summer for a couple of weeks at his home in Portland.

gw67

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yea, he's averaging 11 points and 4 assists in his sixth NBA season. That certainly makes him the subject of ridicule.
    Agreed, Blake has made himself into a pretty good NBA player, probably not at Duhon's level but I don't find him to be an annoying.

Blake is a good player and a good story, whatever you thought of him at Maryland (and I never cared much for him myself). However, that was a major choke job last night against the Clippers.

Portland is one of my favorite teams in the NBA, but I have my concerns about their ability to get far in the playoffs with Blake at point, and I think Blazers management knows this as well. I give a lot of credit to Blake, though, for working tirelessly to address his critics and make himself a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You probably think Michael Jordan was a decent NBA player, too.

Steve Blake and Juan Dixon (I can't mention one without the other) are pretty resilient players and have managed to have staying power in the NBA. A couple of college grads who have shown what hard work can accomplish.

If Steve Blake had been the point guard for Duke and claimed an NCAA championship, there would probably be several people with user names here like Blake'sBuddy or something like that, and we'd be talking about how underappreciated he is.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Steve Blake and Juan Dixon (I can't mention one without the other) are pretty resilient players and have managed to have staying power in the NBA. A couple of college grads who have shown what hard work can accomplish.
    Steve Blake is to us what Hurley, Wojo, Paulus etc. are to other teams. The annoying gym rat point guard who everybody else loves to hate.

Watching Gary over the past few years, it seems to me that Juan Dixon and Steve Blake, in particular, deserve more credit for that 2002 championship.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    For those who haven't seen the SportsCenter segment, Blake, who was 31-33 from the line coming into the game, missed 4/5 free throws in the last 20 seconds of the Blazers game tonight. Portland was up by a deuce when he missed three straight, and after the Clippers failed to score on the ensuing possession, they put ol' Johnny Rockets at the stripe again. He hit one of two, then Baron Davis came down the court and tied the game with a trey to put it into OT. The Clippers won. Always liked Juan Dixon better than that twerp.
    i hated blake when he was at maryland, because he killed us. but i respect him as a player. he's a very underrated point guard, kinda like duhon.

Schadenfreude?

Is it schadenfreude if I enjoy people enjoying Steve Blake's failures?

Its vicarious shadenfreude