Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBC is in huge trouble

Jeff Zucker, head honcho at NBC, says he is considering cutting back on the number of hours NBC will program in the future. The implication is that NBC may give up the 10pm hour.

"Can we continue to broadcast 22 hours in primetime? Three of our competitors don't," Zucker told the annual UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in Manhattan. "Can we continue to broadcast seven days a week? One of our competitors doesn't."
    If you are like me, you read that quote and said, "who are these 3 'competitors' who do not program as much as NBC?

We all know that Fox does not program in the 10pm hour so that is one of them. The CW also does not program at 10pm so that is another. The CW is the competitor that does not program all 7 days of the week. I have no idea who third third competitor is that Zucker is talking about. It might be Univision and it might be MyNetworkTV. It is unclear who he is talking about.

But, to be clear, there is no question that Zucker is comparing NBC to the CW and to either Univision or MyNetworkTV. That is just sad.

Aside from The Office and 30 Rock, is there anything that NBC has that would be considered a valuable and successful show at this point? SVU gets decent numbers though ABC and CBS both have at least 10 shows that get better ratings and Fox kicks butt with younger viewers thanks to Idol. House, Simpsons, Family Guy and others.

Even The Office and 30 Rock are only big shows in the right upscale/young demographics. In terms of overall numbers, they both lag far behind much of what ABC, CBS, and Fox have to offer.

It has to lead one to ask-- why does Jeffrey Zucker still have a job?

--Jason "NBC gave up on Scrubs -- and ABC snapped it up" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jeff Zucker, head honcho at NBC, says he is considering cutting back on the number of hours NBC will program in the future. The implication is that NBC may give up the 10pm hour.

If you are like me, you read that quote and said, "who are these 3 'competitors' who do not program as much as NBC?

We all know that Fox does not program in the 10pm hour so that is one of them. The CW also does not program at 10pm so that is another. The CW is the competitor that does not program all 7 days of the week. I have no idea who third third competitor is that Zucker is talking about. It might be Univision and it might be MyNetworkTV. It is unclear who he is talking about.

But, to be clear, there is no question that Zucker is comparing NBC to the CW and to either Univision or MyNetworkTV. That is just sad.

Aside from The Office and 30 Rock, is there anything that NBC has that would be considered a valuable and successful show at this point? SVU gets decent numbers though ABC and CBS both have at least 10 shows that get better ratings and Fox kicks butt with younger viewers thanks to Idol. House, Simpsons, Family Guy and others.

Even The Office and 30 Rock are only big shows in the right upscale/young demographics. In terms of overall numbers, they both lag far behind much of what ABC, CBS, and Fox have to offer.

It has to lead one to ask-- why does Jeffrey Zucker still have a job?

--Jason "NBC gave up on Scrubs -- and ABC snapped it up" Evans
    They're moving Leno to 10PM.

Why doesn't NBC just broadcast more 10pm "Biggest Loser"?
    That stuff is dynamite

This sounds to me like a clear cry for the return of 'Saved by the Bell'.

If you aren't watching Chuck, you are missing a great show. Hopefully it isn't a casualty of NBC's financial problems

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    If you aren't watching Chuck, you are missing a great show. Hopefully it isn't a casualty of NBC's financial problems
    Agreed. That, the Office, 30 Rock, and Conan are the only things they have going for them.

Nothing But Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This sounds to me like a clear cry for the return of 'Saved by the Bell'.
    "ALF" and "Punky Brewster" sound like more realistic options.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    "ALF" and "Punky Brewster" sound like more realistic options.
    What about reruns for their Thursday night line ups from days of old: Cheers, The Cosby Show, and of course Seinfeld. I realize that in reality this probably won't work as all those shows are in syndication. Though I don't see a lot of Cheers out there. Wouldn't mind watching that again.

Completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    What about reruns for their Thursday night line ups from days of old: Cheers, The Cosby Show, and of course Seinfeld. I realize that in reality this probably won't work as all those shows are in syndication. Though I don't see a lot of Cheers out there. Wouldn't mind watching that again.
    I would probably watch more tv if they did this. Not that Cheers or Seinfeld is Leave it to Beaver, but those shows are definitely cleaner than most of what is on now.

Chuck does ok and I would suspect that it is safe for the time being. If generally finishes a distant third to DWTS and CBS' comedy block of BBT and HIMYM (both of which are excellent), but at least it beats The Sarah Connor Chronicles. In NBC's world, if you ain't 4th then you are safe

But, that could change. I am not sure when Fox will be playing 24 when it returns in January. I know it will be on Mondays but will it be at 8 or 9pm? If 24 goes at 8pm, that could be a huge problem for Chuck.

--Jason "gotta go check my sources" Evans

Chuck does ok and I would suspect that it is safe for the time being. If generally finishes a distant third to DWTS and CBS' comedy block of BBT and HIMYM (both of which are excellent), but at least it beats The Sarah Connor Chronicles. In NBC's world, if you ain't 4th then you are safe

But, that could change. I am not sure when Fox will be playing 24 when it returns in January. I know it will be on Mondays but will it be at 8 or 9pm? If 24 goes at 8pm, that could be a huge problem for Chuck.

--Jason "gotta go check my sources" Evans
    Yup, Chuck is in trouble.

>

Starting in January, Fox will be moving House to the Monday at 8pm timeslot. 24 will go at 9pm. American Idol is on Tuesdays at 8 (House's current slot) and will be followed by Fringe (which should be a big boost for a show that is already a success).

So, Chuck will have major, major, competition on every side. I dunno if NBC will stick with it, but I would have to think that it will be in a distant 4th place in the ratings unless it can siphon off some viewers from the CBS comedies.

--Jason "sorry-- the good news is that NBC sucks so bad they may keep Chuck around anyway" Evans

Starting in January, Fox will be moving House to the Monday at 8pm timeslot. 24 will go at 9pm. American Idol is on Tuesdays at 8 (House's current slot) and will be followed by Fringe (which should be a big boost for a show that is already a success).

So, Chuck will have major, major, competition on every side. I dunno if NBC will stick with it, but I would have to think that it will be in a distant 4th place in the ratings unless it can siphon off some viewers from the CBS comedies.

--Jason "sorry-- the good news is that NBC sucks so bad they may keep Chuck around anyway" Evans
    What? Two shows on at the same time that I want to watch? That's why they make two tuner DVR's. Don't know if htat shows up in the ratings, but I do that all the time. I only have a problem when there are three shows on at the same time. Then I have to watch one of them on another tV, like the Charlotte Panthers' game last night!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    What? Two shows on at the same time that I want to watch? That's why they make two tuner DVR's. Don't know if htat shows up in the ratings, but I do that all the time. I only have a problem when there are three shows on at the same time. Then I have to watch one of them on another tV, like the Charlotte Panthers' game last night!
    And a mighty victory by
    YOUR MIAMI HEAT!

but at least it beats The Sarah Connor Chronicles. In NBC's world, if you ain't 4th then you are safe
    Another show that doesn't get enough love. It struggled early and had some inertia and credibility problems off the bat, but The Sarah Connor Chronicles has been really, really good this year. Who knew David Silver could ever be a hardened war veteran?

I'm glad someone else appreciates this show too!

Another show that doesn't get enough love. It struggled early and had some inertia and credibility problems off the bat, but The Sarah Connor Chronicles has been really, really good this year. Who knew David Silver could ever be a hardened war veteran?
    Its not a great show by any means, but I find it entertaining.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I thought SCC started weak last year, but by the end of the season was just a notch short of great-- and the final episode WAS great. I figured they'd found their rhythm.

Then the first episode this season was a complete throwback to what I disliked the previous season. It was like they learned nothing at all. My brother watched the second episode this season and said that it was pretty much like the first. Haven't watched since.

I'll tune back in and see if they're getting their act together again.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

>
    I imagine Sun Tzu has something about disengaging when defeat is certain.

Could you remind me why they wouldn't move Chuck? I mean, I've seen networks stubbornly refuse to adjust so I know it's likely, but why wouldn't they do the obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As long as you watch the show on your DVR within 3 days of its original airing then they count you in the ratings. This is called Live+3 and is the most common metric used to determine advertising rates (though 1 day overnights are what tend to get quoted in the media the most).

There is also a Live+7 rating that is done but no one pays much attention to it because 7 days is too long to wait for an advertiser, especially if they are promoting a film or some other product that has a finite timeline. For example, when I watch shows that are 5 or more days old, the promos for the nightly news, the promos for other network shows, and other timely stuff like that has zero effect on the viewer.

It is worth noting at this point that no one with a DVR watches commercials anymore-- unless it is a very special spot that causes you to back up your DVR and watch it like you would a program. Those are quite rare though. The Etrade Baby, some select beer commercials, and certain movie trailers are about the only commercials I watch.

Also, Ozz, when there are more than 2 shows you want to watch at a given time, just use your other DVR. You do have 2 DVRs, don't you?

--Jason "Comcast HD DVR in the family room and dual-tuner Tivo in the bedroom" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I imagine Sun Tzu has something about disengaging when defeat is certain.

Could you remind me why they wouldn't move Chuck? I mean, I've seen networks stubbornly refuse to adjust so I know it's likely, but why wouldn't they do the obvious?
    If they really cared about the show and thought it had a high chance of success elsewhere then they might move it. I have seen nothing from NBC or from Chuck's ratings to give me that impression.

--Jason "where would you have them move it?" Evans