The newest Hall of Famer

The veterans committee of the baseball Hall of Famer completed its annual meeting today and voted to elect just one old-timer -- former Yankee (and Indian) second-baseman Joe Gordon.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/ne...90&vkey=hof_pr

I love the pick -- Gordon was truly great all-around player. Statistically, he's second only to Mazeroski in the ability to turn the double play. He also had real power -- 20 plus homer runs seven times -- which was a lot in that era, especially since he played most of his career as a right-handed hitter in the old Yankee Stadium (which was death to right-handed power).

His career average was just .268, but his career OPS was an outstanding .823. He won the 1942 MVP and played in nine all-star games in 12 years. His career would have been longer, but he missed two and a half prime seasons due to WWII.

Best of all, he was a winner. The Yankees won five pennants and four World Series title with Gordon starting at second. After 1946, he was traded the Indians (for P Allie Reynolds), helping Cleveland win the 1948 AL pennant and their last World Seies title.

Obviously, I love the pick ... my only gripe with the committee was the failure to add Ron Santo, a very deserving third-baseman (the most under-represented position in the HOF).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The veterans committee of the baseball Hall of Famer completed its annual meeting today and voted to elect just one old-timer -- former Yankee (and Indian) second-baseman Joe Gordon.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/ne...90&vkey=hof_pr

I love the pick -- Gordon was truly great all-around player. Statistically, he's second only to Mazeroski in the ability to turn the double play. He also had real power -- 20 plus homer runs seven times -- which was a lot in that era, especially since he played most of his career as a right-handed hitter in the old Yankee Stadium (which was death to right-handed power).

His career average was just .268, but his career OPS was an outstanding .823. He won the 1942 MVP and played in nine all-star games in 12 years. His career would have been longer, but he missed two and a half prime seasons due to WWII.

Best of all, he was a winner. The Yankees won five pennants and four World Series title with Gordon starting at second. After 1946, he was traded the Indians (for P Allie Reynolds), helping Cleveland win the 1948 AL pennant and their last World Seies title.

Obviously, I love the pick ... my only gripe with the committee was the failure to add Ron Santo, a very deserving third-baseman (the most under-represented position in the HOF).
    I like the pick too. I agree about Santo, and I also think Jim Kaat should be in. (He was on the same list.)
    Now we'll see what the baseball writers do. Obviously Rickey Henderson will get in. I think Jim Rice will get in this time, although he shouldn't. And I agree with Rob Neyer that Bert Blyleven should be in, but I don't think he'll get there.