Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Universal Remotes

Thinking about getting Mrs. Df a good universal remote for Christmas. She is baffled and frustrated with all the remotes we currently have for the av system. We have bought cheap ones before and they never work everything.

Son-in law recommends a Logitech Harmony 1000, but that little jewel is
    $400. I don't think I need a bentley if a cadillac will do. We do not have much hooked together (Direct TV DVR, surround sound, Samsung HD TV, DVD player, VCR & Wii).

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post
    Thinking about getting Mrs. Df a good universal remote for Christmas. She is baffled and frustrated with all the remotes we currently have for the av system. We have bought cheap ones before and they never work everything.

$400. I don't think I need a bentley if a cadillac will do. We do not have much hooked together (Direct TV DVR, surround sound, Samsung HD TV, DVD player, VCR & Wii).

Any recommendations?
    Fewer toys?

Any recommendations?
    try the harmony 550

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search26816-20

had this for 3 years and it's worked well. easy to set up macros or to adjust for new equipment. eats batteries every two months or so. my wife loves it as do i.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good luck with your choice. I'd have serious reservations for paying over $80 for something that is constantly lost.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good luck with your choice. I'd have serious reservations for paying over $80 for something that is constantly lost.
    Then buy one of those remote control leashes. Can't lose that baby. Although really ugly, in my opinion.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D491168.html

Or those things that you put on cell phones etc. that can beep when you press a button on the controlling unit...don't know what those are called exactly, but they always advertise them on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    try the harmony 550

had this for 3 years and it's worked well. easy to set up macros or to adjust for new equipment. eats batteries every two months or so. my wife loves it as do i.
    I have a 550 as well. It has been 100% customizable and I've never found something I couldn't program into it. You can set up things like "Watch TV." When you click it, it turns on the TV, sets the video to the right output, turns on the receiver and sets it to "TV," turns on the cable box, etc. Then it is integrated so that you can control the TV channels on the cable box, but the volume on the receiver. Plus you can set it up on the computer, then download all of your settings to the remote via USB.

The only issue I had was that after a year and a half two or three of the buttons quit working or got sluggish. I ended up buying a replacement at Best Buy this weekend for $59. It also doesn't allow me to use my DVD recorder's advanced functions, but works fine to record and watch DVDs. For advanced authoring, I just use the other clicker.

If you have multiple devices, especially a receiver, this is a must have and worth the $60.
    "There can BE only one."

I have a Logitech and love it. If you do not want something as complicated I suggest the Sony - 8-Function Learning Remote. I bought it for my parents a few years ago because it's very easy to use. They have a cable box, Dish, DVD and VCR.

A couple of years ago, a few of us (engineers) each bought a different remote, and we all evaluated them. The unanimous winner - by a landslide - was the Universal Remote Control MX-500.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    A couple of years ago, a few of us (engineers) each bought a different remote, and we all evaluated them. The unanimous winner - by a landslide - was the Universal Remote Control MX-500.
    Arnie, did you have a Logitech in the evaluation?

Um...potentially dumb question here. Seems like every remote these days has a universal feature. My TW Cable DVR remote is a universal remote, and it controls everything just fine. We have the DVR, TV, and receiver. (The DVD player has been replaced by the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 that belongs to hubby and son -- that's another story.)

The "on/off" button toggles the power to all items quite nicely (there is an individual power toggle button, too, if needed). To change the volume on the receiver, you push "AUX" then change the volume (or whatever other settings need to be changed on the receiver). Then press the "CABLE" button to resume the futile attempt to find something decent to watch (unless basketball is on). All the DVR features work (since it's the DVR remote). Anything else that needs to be done can be done by Mr. devil84. All kidding aside, there's actually very little else that needs to be done.

So what am I missing that would require a universal remote? (Loose translation: does Mr. devil84 need a new remote for Christmas?)

Ms. Devil84, not a dumb question.

My direct tv remote does not control the surround sound receiver, vcr or dvd players, or if it does, I don't know how to program it to do so. So we must fiddle with 3 other remotes to work the other electronics at one time or another. I don't have a problem with it, but Ms. Df has more than once called me when I am out of town on business screaming about not being able to get the DVD to work. It is time for a solution.

I don't have a problem with it, but Ms. Df has more than once called me when I am out of town on business screaming about not being able to get the DVD to work. It is time for a solution.
    Ahhh, I see. Yes, it is time for a solution! There isn't much worse than not being able to work the AV System when hubby is out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    try the harmony 550

I'll second the recommendation on Harmony/Logitech... I have an 880 and it is fantastic and easy to use.

Ms. Devil84, not a dumb question.

My direct tv remote does not control the surround sound receiver, vcr or dvd players, or if it does, I don't know how to program it to do so. So we must fiddle with 3 other remotes to work the other electronics at one time or another. I don't have a problem with it, but Ms. Df has more than once called me when I am out of town on business screaming about not being able to get the DVD to work. It is time for a solution.
    I don't know which DirectTV remote you're using but mine can control a VCR and a combo VCR/DVD player. My remote also has an AUX button that conceptually could be used to control the surround sound receiver. Granted, I couldn't figure out a way to totally control the DVD with the remote but if all you need to do is turn on and play the DirectTV remote works well.

the thing with the logitech 550 is that once it's programmed it really is a one button push to watch tv, watch a dvd, listen to cd, listen to radio. you just push the button next to the customizable screen. my parents and in laws have no problem using it when we go out of town. babysitters can use it. it's easy to have it set up to toggle between 4:3 to 16:9, or virtually any other function available like different surround options, while excluding ones you don't want, to keep it simple. i use the individual component remotes for initial set up settings and modifications, like surround channel balance, so that those options aren't readily available to anyone using the universal.

i will add that i too now have a few buttons that stick or don't work as well but this is after 3 years heavy use and abuse. it's been sat on a good number of times.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Harmony 720 here. Got it about a year and a half ago and have never looked back. I have an insanely complex system, including a front projector and an AV amp. The Harmony actually knows by default that the projector locks out commands while the lamp heats up, so the remote pauses 25 seconds between turning it on and setting the video mode.

The 720 has a cellphone style screen for all those idiosyncratic but indispensable function buttons that every component has-- in my case, the moronic "a," "b," and "c" buttons on the TimeWarner PVR which are used for EVERYTHING and render every generic universal remote useless.

As complex as the remote is, it's easy to program. The software runs you through wizards for every function, you just select from dropdowns for which components do what, and it just handles it. You sync the remote, and you're done.

I have absolutely no complaints. Mine was about $120 dollars when I got it. It has "spouse-enabled" the theater system, which has greatly pleased Mrs. alteran.

We have the Logitech Harmony 670 and love it. The only bad thing is that the up arrow button is now sticking a bit. Other than that it's great.

Perhaps its best feature is the one-button on for Watch Movie, Watch TV, Listen to Radio, etc. No more explaining to Mrs Usul or guests what inputs different things have to be on for different functions. And no need to press the DVD or AUX button to toggle between devices like on other universal remotes. I've programmed the Harmony so that its volume buttons control the surround sound. No pressing AUX and then volume to adjust.

We have a Winner

Went with a Harmony 720 that I got new off Ebay for $71.00. Nov. '08 CNET review had it rated as one of their top picks and Alteran's "It has "spouse-enabled" the theater system, which has greatly pleased Mrs. alteran." sealed the deal. Let's hope it also pleases Mrs. Df.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    Mr. DA swears by his MX-500 as well.

Thanks everyone.

Arnie, did you have a Logitech in the evaluation?
    Yep. Logitech, Sony and something else. Everybody ended up with a MX-500, and it was really no contest.