Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cats and Dogs playing puzzle games together...

Here's a thread that hopefully everyone will enjoy to pass the time before the real season starts. Call it a challenge in objectivity...and how different fans would approach a winning style.
    You can choose 8 players off the Duke or UNC roster to build a team to take on the world of college basketball. Only 8. You are the coach, don't choose a coach, no need to go there. You will have to play a full 40 minute game, so you will have to make substitutions and make the pieces of the puzzle fit. This is not a talent show, its a team.

Here is my starting team:
    PG- Lawson
    2G- Scheyer
    SF- Singler
    PF- Thompson
    C- Hansbrough

Bench Subs:
    Inside- Davis
    Wing- Green
    Backcourt- Henderson

I think this team gives me lots of flexibility. My starting team is just strong. Not the fastest team out there, but powerful, and fast enough. However, if I wanted to try to overwhelm a team with more speed after my inside guys wear you out I could get in your grille with some pressure and run...

Lawson
    Henderson
    Singler
    Green
    Davis

I like that team too...

The only really tough decision for me was the final backcourt sub. Ellington or Henderson? (Ginyard's not considered due to injury). Henderson won out after I considered how he might fit with Lawson in the backcourt in a running game. He's quicker and more of a slasher than Ellington, so while Lawson is breaking ankles and dishing, he'd be dunking. Also his D is better than Ellington's on average.
    Scheyer gets the nod at 2g because he can play both styles, a running game or a 1/2 court game. And I like his court IQ, vision, and ballhandling for his size. I think he can spell Lawson at point when he has to take a break.

My strategy would be, not surprising, run and attack for break points, if the D gets back, spread the floor, move the ball around and feed the two headed beasts in the post.

Anybody want to play along?

Wheat/"/"/"

Ty Lawson
    Jon Scheyer
    Danny Green
    Kyle Singler
    Tyler Hansbrough

Nolan Smith
    Deon Thompson
    Ed Davis

The answer to the Ellington/Henderson question right now is neither. Singler and Green are flexible enough that we can afford having two inside guys on the bench instead of one inside guy and a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Ty Lawson
    Jon Scheyer
    Danny Green
    Kyle Singler
    Tyler Hansbrough

Nolan Smith
    Deon Thompson
    Ed Davis

The answer to the Ellington/Henderson question right now is neither. Singler and Green are flexible enough that we can afford having two inside guys on the bench instead of one inside guy and a wing.
    I trade Davis for Henderson. I like having a guy like Gerald to put on the floor at the end of a game. Given that against 98% of the country, Singler and Green can play PF without a problem, Davis' size is a little redundant.

I would also treat Thompson and Green as interchangeable starters, depending on matchups.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wander,
    Starters against starters...
    I don't think Singler or Green could handle Thompson inside day in, day out in the post. I would be having Hans and Singler setting some strong picks for him down low to insure that.

I guess that you could make the arguement that on the other end they would give Thompson trouble from the wings to balance that out, but Deon is moving his feet pretty well so far this season on D and they would have to shoot over him. He's got some long arms and not playing like the heavier Deon we've seen the past two seasons.
    Singler could possibly take him off the dribble enough for the advantage, but I doubt Green would.
    I still like Deon here.

Our only player disagreement is Smith. I like him, but would rather have the flexibility that Henderson would provide myself.

Wheat/"/"/"

Wheat/"/"/" !!!!

Wheat/"/"/"

Welcome back!!!

Are the bass still biting?

Zoubek... "my team is on the floor"

Wheat/"/"/" as a 'walk-on' is ridiculous. Welcome back, Dude! We did miss ya.

For those who don't know, Wheat/"/"/" is a near original on the DBR, representing what is best about the folks at Chapel Hill. He claims to be able top make a living as a professional bass fisherman, and for all I know, that is true.

He's always been respectful of Duke and of the rivalry. His basketball knowledge is exemplary. His return is welcomed!

Tappan Zee...
    Some days...

Jim3k,
    I think my first post on this site was in '96 or maybe '97...time flies huh?
    Thanks for the welcome back, tho I never really went anywhere, just got away from posting much because I have been on the road a lot in the spring (BB Season). I promised myself I'd try to stop by more this season...and not because the Heels look good, (pre-emptive strike), Remember I stayed away in ''05 before I get accussed of that.

I don't claim to make a living solely as a professional bass fisherman, it's a nice little plus, wish I could earn more, but I do what I can

I tell my clients it's damn hard to Not work for a living, anybody can get a job

Wheat/"/"/"