Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow For the guys: Honest thoughts on females who are into sports?

I was just having this discussion with a friend and wanted to bring it up here. I consider myself very knowledgeable about sports in general, but my true love is and has always been college basketball. I've found that guys fall into one of these three categories when they learn that chicks dig sports (and I mean really dig, not like a "hehe, Player A is hot, so I like the Team X!" kinda thing):
    1. They'll just humor you and think it's "cute", but not really take it seriously
    2. They'll happily embrace that their chick is cool enough to dig sports and be "one of the guys" on occasion
    3. They'll feel threatened by it because they want their girls to just do "girl things"

I'm assuming/hoping that the majority of the guys here would fall into Category 2, because you guys clearly appreciate the game and can respect others who appreciate the game as well, regardless of gender. I've come across a couple of guys who fall into #3, but I'd say most fall into #1 or 2.

Overall I think guys are cool about it, but there are always some who are straight-up a-holes about it. When I go to games, guys are either teasing me ("aww are you here to see your boyfriend JJ get all hot and sweaty?" was my personal favorite. Resulting in a verbal argument quickly after.) or hitting on me.. and it only tends to happen when I go to games by myself.

Bottom line, give the girls some credit because not every female is there just to check out some young boys in shorts and tanktops. And also, not every female who is into sports is a butch lesbian either. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post
    I was just having this discussion with a friend and wanted to bring it up here. I consider myself very knowledgeable about sports in general, but my true love is and has always been college basketball. I've found that guys fall into one of these three categories when they learn that chicks dig sports (and I mean really dig, not like a "hehe, Player A is hot, so I like the Team X!" kinda thing):
    1. They'll just humor you and think it's "cute", but not really take it seriously
    2. They'll happily embrace that their chick is cool enough to dig sports and be "one of the guys" on occasion
    3. They'll feel threatened by it because they want their girls to just do "girl things"

I'm assuming/hoping that the majority of the guys here would fall into Category 2, because you guys clearly appreciate the game and can respect others who appreciate the game as well, regardless of gender. I've come across a couple of guys who fall into #3, but I'd say most fall into #1 or 2.

Overall I think guys are cool about it, but there are always some who are straight-up a-holes about it. When I go to games, guys are either teasing me ("aww are you here to see your boyfriend JJ get all hot and sweaty?" was my personal favorite. Resulting in a verbal argument quickly after.) or hitting on me.. and it only tends to happen when I go to games by myself.

Bottom line, give the girls some credit because not every female is there just to check out some young boys in shorts and tanktops. And also, not every female who is into sports is a butch lesbian either. Just sayin'.
    I would add one more item to your list. I fall into category 4: I love girls that dig sports and want them be one of the girls that can hang with the guys.

You can still be feminine while screaming at the refs for missing the illegal screen or illegal line shift or whatever. It's hot. Own it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I would add one more item to your list. I fall into category 4: I love girls that dig sports and want them be one of the girls that can hang with the guys.

You can still be feminine while screaming at the refs for missing the illegal screen or illegal line shift or whatever. It's hot. Own it.
    Absolutely 100% agree with this one!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I fall into category #2.

However, I think category #3 is only partly fair, or maybe there is another category. It may be that watching sports has become sort of a "boys club" type of deal. There are things that my wife does with her girlfriends that I might enjoy also (for example, I love to bake and she is going to a "cookie party" this weekend) but I recognize that the cookies are really just the stated reason for her to get together with her friends. I think there are guys that feel the same way about sports - they go to a sports bar or someone's home not so much for the game, but to hang with thier guy friends.

Are there more of your kind out there? I sure haven't been able to find such a guy for myself.

Sincerely,
    S/W/F with well rounded interests but a sports fanatic first and foremost

Add me to the list of people that fit into category 4. The only thing hotter is women that actually play sports (don't get me all worked up with women that both play and are big sports fans ). I met my wife playing volleyball.

My wife is far better at playing sports than I am and is also generally interested in watching them (she prefers to see them live, I prefer to see them in HD).

Man, this post makes me sound like a lazy dork.

But, yeah, put me in category 4.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    My wife is far better at playing sports than I am and is also generally interested in watching them (she prefers to see them live, I prefer to see them in HD).

Man, this post makes me sound like a lazy dork.

But, yeah, put me in category 4.
    Hey, where are the rest of the guys in category 4?

Sign me up for one of those Category 4 guys, please.

Thumbs up

This made me smile. I think I'd probably call this #2½ because it's along the same lines, but more detailed haha. Very nice, though.

A Girl's Response

Where are the guys who fall into #4, because I think they're a myth.

My experience has been that I can blow people away with my sports knowledge, especially college basketball. Many guys are quite impressed and have even boasted about me to their friends. I then become one of the guys. I'm cool to hang with and fun to be around and we can always watch a game together...

But that's it.

Hot? Nope. Always just been one of the guys. I go through phases where it gets kind of old.

Then again, maybe it's just me. "Hot" isn't one of my fortes.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

My experience has been that I can blow people away with my sports knowledge, especially college basketball. Many guys are quite impressed and have even boasted about me to their friends. I then become one of the guys. I'm cool to hang with and fun to be around and we can always watch a game together...

But that's it.

Hot? Nope. Always just been one of the guys. I go through phases where it gets kind of old.

Then again, maybe it's just me. "Hot" isn't one of my fortes.
    Probably some selection bias here. Maybe the type of dudes who frequent a Duke fan forum are more predisposed to like women with sporty interests than the average guy.

Hey Elvis -- I met my husband playing volleyball? Do you still both play? And can you play together?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Sign me up for one of those Category 4 guys, please.
    Amen, sister!

Ouch. It appears that there are few of us on DBR. I also know quite a few friends that fall under this category. We'll find out more soon.

Ouch. It appears that there are few of us on DBR. I also know quite a few friends that fall under this category. We'll find out more soon.
    Thus cementing that "Hot" is most definitely not my forte.

I can do cute. Sometimes pretty. Never slutty. And hot just doesn't work.

Sigh.

I'm definitely cat 4. I've met MANY beautiful, bright, intelligent, friendly women here on the DBR that are definitely into sports and that I love to "hang with". Brunchgate events are just the tip of the iceberg. No, wait, "iceberg" is certainly not the right term to describe these women, but you know what I mean.

I wonder if this thread will lead to a new "dating" board on the DBR. I know of two original (Juliovision) posters who did in fact meet and got married, and one of them still posts here on occasion. They are still happily married and are raising future Duke students.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I can do cute. Sometimes pretty. Never slutty. And hot just doesn't work.

Sigh.
    I'm right there with you. Strength in numbers!!!

Can't be a myth because I happen to be dating one. He actually told me that my love of sports is one of the things he loves most about me.

I do agree though about a game also being a reason to hang out with the boys. Sometimes I will purposely not go somewhere with him to let him and his friends have boy's night out. However I think that he appreciates the fact that I am totally comfortable being one of the guys when I do happen to tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I know of two original (Juliovision) posters who did in fact meet and got married, and one of them still posts here on occasion. They are still happily married and are raising future Duke students.
    Really? That's such a great story.