Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm definitely a Cat 4. Married a Sports Fan. Just had to get her focus shifted from Redskins (who were not doing well) to Duke Mens and Womens Basketball, which was about as easy as it sounds. But she had a good teacher.

Thumbs up As a father of young girls...

To turn this back to a semi-serious side... As a father of young girls (5 & 6) I have had the same thoughts as many of you about what sorts of values, traits, interests do I want to equip my daughters with as they grow older. Of course the big ones are things like intellectual curiosity, self-confidence, good moral /spiritual underpinnings, valuing education, appreciating the arts, ability to save and drive/ambition, etc, etc. And, honestly, one of the things you think about is "should I teach my girls about sports," and to what extent. It is a natural for me as I was once an athlete and am still a big sports enthusiast - sorry guys, not one for baiting hooks though (maybe baiting a few Kerlina fans though...). I just worry about overdoing it.

But as I thought about my college and young-adult experiences, it ocured to me that *MOST* guys truly find girls who are interested and really knowledgeable about sports - as Kim said, not just "ohh, I like player X 'cuz he's so cute..." - and it just becomes an extra added attraction for any young lady. I honestly believe that most young guys see a girl who is interested in sports as a strong "extra", and those who would be threatened by such a woman...well, ah, my girls wouldn't be interested in them anyway... And there's always the value of teamwork and self-confidence that sports involvement usually will bring to boys and girls growing up...

So, yes, most certainly wear your sports fandom on your sleeve. For most guys - and certainly for the guys worthy of your reciprocated interest - it is pretty cool!

Now, if I can only get them going on earning that scholarship in Duke women's sports...

-BDBD ;-)
    Last edited by -bdbd; 12-05-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Are there more of your kind out there? I sure haven't been able to find such a guy for myself.

Sincerely,
    S/W/F with well rounded interests but a sports fanatic first and foremost
    Such a woman. An in the VA no less. Where have you been all my life?!?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Where are the guys who fall into #4, because I think they're a myth.

My experience has been that I can blow people away with my sports knowledge, especially college basketball. Many guys are quite impressed and have even boasted about me to their friends. I then become one of the guys. I'm cool to hang with and fun to be around and we can always watch a game together...

But that's it.

Hot? Nope. Always just been one of the guys. I go through phases where it gets kind of old.

Then again, maybe it's just me. "Hot" isn't one of my fortes.
    Story of my life! Where are these category 4 guys because I always get relegated to being "just one of the guys", and it sucks!

So who will be starting the DBR Personals thread?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
    I'm definitely a Cat 4. Married a Sports Fan. Just had to get her focus shifted from Redskins (who were not doing well) to Duke Mens and Womens Basketball, which was about as easy as it sounds. But she had a good teacher.
    Whoa, hold on there UncleBill, I'm a Duke Mens Basketball fan and a Redskins fan, no need to shift focus, just expand horizons

This weekend sucked, Duke lost Satuday, the Redskins lost (again) Sunday, my my flag football team traveled out of town to play the state championships and played badly and got knocked out early. Maybe I need to stop associating with sports and not be a category 4 person anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Mrs Turk is a volleyball player and still plays. I am not, but we used to play in co-ed leagues together before we started hatching little gobblers. We had fun and could play well together, but one big difference for pickup basketball players making the transition to volleyball is the officiating. Basketball refs will usually allow more leeway and dialogue about alleged inconsistencies or inaccuracies in the officiating than volleyball refs will. So Mrs Turk hated it when I would beg to differ with the refs. I would get a yellow card every once in a while, and I never cared because that seemed like "double secret probation" to me. And I was never screaming or profane - just making sure the ref was giving the same effort as the players...

The real test will be if / when Mrs Turk wants to take up golf - she says she'd be up for it once the young Turks fly the nest... I think that would be fun too...
    Notice that I said "back in the day" when I talked about my wife and I playing more. For us "back in the day" was before we had our 2 girls (6 year old and 4 year old). My wife does golf however and we have fun when we golf together...although we both suck at golf. BTW, "double secret probation" cracked me up and I ah tended to pick up the occasional yellow card myself.

To bring this a little back on the subject, I will say that it'll be interesting to see what my daughter's interest will be. My wife is an athlete but not a sports fan, I'm an athlete and a sports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Whoa, hold on there UncleBill, I'm a Duke Mens Basketball fan and a Redskins fan, no need to shift focus, just expand horizons

This weekend sucked, Duke lost Satuday, the Redskins lost (again) Sunday, my my flag football team traveled out of town to play the state championships and played badly and got knocked out early. Maybe I need to stop associating with sports and not be a category 4 person anymore!

Notice that I said "back in the day" when I talked about my wife and I playing more. For us "back in the day" was before we had our 2 girls (6 year old and 4 year old). My wife does golf however and we have fun when we golf together...although we both suck at golf. BTW, "double secret probation" cracked me up and I ah tended to pick up the occasional yellow card myself.

To bring this a little back on the subject, I will say that it'll be interesting to see what my daughter's interest will be. My wife is an athlete but not a sports fan, I'm an athlete and a sports fan.
    If you spend time with her and watch sports, they will become a sports fans. After my second brother went of to college, Dad was left with the last two daughters at home. We became sports fans. We enjoyed season tickets to the kansas city chefs for 20+ years together.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    We enjoyed season tickets to the kansas city chefs for 20+ years together.
    And what was your favorite dish that they cooked? Ram Chops?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And what was your favorite dish that they cooked? Ram Chops?
    I always like the horse meat from Denver the best. (Due to their horrendous season to date, the team has lost all capital letters and their i in my book.)