Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB Duke v. Michigan (Part 2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

We handled them pretty easily before, but (as the cliche goes) tomorrow's another day. Their two losses are to us and to an up-and-down Maryland team.

Sagarin has them at #47 and Pomeroy has them at #56, but it's still too early for the systems to predict. I haven't seen a line yet.

Harris and Sims are averaging 21 and 15 points respectively and 8 rebounds each. Everyone else has fewer than 6 points and 4 rebounds a game, and it's spread out.

Their 3 point shooting is not what Beilein would prefer, but they have some guys that can take 'em.

They play deep, with nine players averaging double digit minutes - same as us.

(This is where the smarter people jump in and carry the discussion.)

-jk

Still waiting on a smarter person to show up...

On the surface, you would think that we would have an advantage in that Michigan plays an unusual system on both offense and defense, and we've seen it before (very recently). Obviously we've got an advantage in talent level. Combining that with the fact that we should be very well prepared for them, and we should win this game.

My only concern is that we may come out flat. We beat them soundly pretty recently, which can always get into your head and sap some intensity. In addition, this part of the season is all about preparation for later. I'm not sure Duke gets much out of this game, and that may translate into us coming in with less energy than I'm sure Michigan is going to bring. The first 10 minutes, I think, will tell a lot about whether this is going to be a close game, or whether we put them down decisively.

The smarter people are all busy doing whatever smarter people do. I agree with DaveKay's concern that we might come out flat. Duke did that a lot last year, as I recall, and we did it, I think, vs URI. That was a wake-up call, and hopefully that alarm is still ringing tomorrow afternoon.
    If we play as we did against Purdue we should be fine. OK, we should be better than fine if we play that well.

I would really like to see Scheyer do a better job on Manny Harris this time around.

Word(s) for the wise

This is clearly a game Duke should win. Like Purdue, take Michigan, and any confidence they might have, out of the game early.

Basically, don't let Michigan's familiarity with us even come into play. They've already played us, they're at home and they have nothing to lose. Don't play with fire.

I expect Michigan to give us a tough game at their home arena. We handled their 1-3-1 pretty easily in New York so look for the Wolverines to throw in some wrinkles. We will win but I'm expecting a five to eight point victory not a 15 point decision.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I expect Michigan to give us a tough game at their home arena. We handled their 1-3-1 pretty easily in New York so look for the Wolverines to throw in some wrinkles. We will win but I'm expecting a five to eight point victory not a 15 point decision.
    I don't often disagree with you, Bob, but this time I think you are wrong. I think the talent differential is overwhelming. With the preparation time, I think this win is by more than the first.

I guess that is why these are called opinions.

Not saying we should lose but I fully expect a much tougher game this time around

It's interesting

That when we have these talks about a former opponent from a previous game or season, some people seem to think that we are the only ones who learned from that experience.

I'm sure all players try to improve upon past performances and I'm quite sure the coaching staffs of the opposition try to make any necessary adjustments.

As has already been stated, the first 10 minutes or so of this game will be crucial. If we can take the crowd out of the equation and show the Wolverines that NYC wasn't a bad game for them, then we should win going away, however if they keep it close, we could be in for a long afternoon.

Fired up and ready to play?

If we come out to start the game like we did against Purdue, we should be ok. If we don't the crowd will be in it and should help a young Mich squad. Our offense worked well last time because of our skip passes. Their coaching staff probably has worked on that with a few new wrinkles thrown in. However if we really come to play it should make no difference in the outcome, but the score will be closer than last time. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    That when we have these talks about a former opponent from a previous game or season, some people seem to think that we are the only ones who learned from that experience.

I'm sure all players try to improve upon past performances and I'm quite sure the coaching staffs of the opposition try to make any necessary adjustments.

As has already been stated, the first 10 minutes or so of this game will be crucial. If we can take the crowd out of the equation and show the Wolverines that NYC wasn't a bad game for them, then we should win going away, however if they keep it close, we could be in for a long afternoon.
    I'm not sure when the last time was that you were in Crisler Arena, but it's not noted as an intimidating home court environment for other teams to visit. Yes, the crowd should be up for this game because it's Duke, but it will be nothing like Mackey on Tuesday or really any ACC arena.

I haven't seen anything this year to show that Michigan can score enough points to win. They'll have to hold us in the 60s. We need to force the pace and keep that from happening.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'll look forward to seeing Singler play against the zone again, with those slips to to basket after he sets a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    I'll look forward to seeing Singler play against the zone again, with those slips to to basket after he sets a pick.
    Those work better in man-to-man because in zone the help defense is already there... but he should make a killing on the boards and on the baseline soft-spot.

I just want to see more solid Duke "Animals. They're f----- animals" Defense

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Those work better in man-to-man because in zone the help defense is already there... but he should make a killing on the boards and on the baseline soft-spot
    I agree with you in regard to the baseline soft-spot. Attacking the baseline is the key to defeating a 1-3-1 zone. Zoubek is a good passer so it will be interesting to watch him in the high post delivering the ball to the baseline. Henderson should be able to get free for a couple of alley-oops as well.
    Bob Green

Anybody planning on joining the usually raucous bunch in snrub today?

for those interested in our live tempo-based stats, here is the link to Live Stats for Duke/Michigan Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We handled them pretty easily before, but (as the cliche goes) tomorrow's another day. Their two losses are to us and to an up-and-down Maryland team.

Sagarin has them at #47 and Pomeroy has them at #56, but it's still too early for the systems to predict. I haven't seen a line yet.

Harris and Sims are averaging 21 and 15 points respectively and 8 rebounds each. Everyone else has fewer than 6 points and 4 rebounds a game, and it's spread out.

Their 3 point shooting is not what Beilein would prefer, but they have some guys that can take 'em.

They play deep, with nine players averaging double digit minutes - same as us.

(This is where the smarter people jump in and carry the discussion.)

-jk
    Duke is staying as a 10 point road favorite against Michigan.
    The O/U has moved down from 141 to 138.

I'd like to buy a three, please.

1-14 from three point range. Does Singler realize he is part of a team and has teammates?

Marty hits one.