Duke fans at away games

Hi guys

i live in Italy and i'm a longtime Duke fan, finally i'll have a chance to see my "blue devils" live.
    I'll be in Boston and i got a pair of tickets for the game vs BC.
    My purpose is to go there wearing my Duke sweat and make a lot of noise...

Is it advisable? In Europe that could be a little dangerous especially if there's some rivalry going on... you could get a punch on your nose.

So i ask you:

how is the environment at Boston College? I know i couldn't do that at Maryland for example... is it safe to cheer for Duke surrounded by BC fans? Can i take my 3 years old son with me?

thanks for your replies

carlo

I think as long as you're cheering FOR Duke and not against the other team, and are well behaved, you'll be fine. Simply wearing Duke stuff will not cause any problems (perhaps a few comments). I'd feel fine taking my 3 year old to an away game (if they've been to some sort of big loud sporting event before and knew what to expect). My son was a little freaked last year by the intensity of the MD fans hatred of us at the women's tournament. It was much better when we moved to sit with other Duke fans and the hatred was from farther away.

Enjoy the game!

Shouldn't be a big deal at BC. The only fans who would potentially give you a hard time there are the students and from the way their stadium is set up, chances are you wont be very close to them. I'd say the worst case scenario would be a boo here or there.

I've been to Duke games in dozens of stadiums, and never really felt unsafe.

I wouldn't take small kids to a few of them, though.

-jk

Even at Maryland it's not that bad. They throw trash (paper mostly) at you and might curse you out. So yeah, you should be fine at BC.

Wear your Duke shirt proudly. I can't imagine anyone would bother a 3 year-old (okay, maybe at MD, but not BC).

I once sat in the STUDENT section at Uva wearing my Duke sweatshirt. And I mean the Uva student section. And I wasn't the only one. Yeah, there were comments, but that was to be expected. I didn't care. We (Duke) beat them easily so I kept my cheering fairly subdued, but I wasn't going to pretend to be rooting for the Cavs.

I don't think I would be worried about wearing my Duke shirt anywhere other than MD. Those people are nuts.

Go Ahead and Go with son

I have attended a game at BC. My sister went to Grad school there.

The environment is "mature," unlike MD or a couple others. BC is a good school and the alums and students behave generally respectfully. I wore a Duke sweatshirt and got a couple of good-natured smart-arse type comments, but those sitting nearby were conversive, respectful. They think of themselves as "almost in Duke's league academically." So just be respectful of BC - say nice things - and play it by ear as far as how loud to be cheering for Duke... I was ok cheering for the Devils, but I wasn't obnoxious about it. Of course it helps that I'm 6 foot 4 inches and 240 pounds. ;-) I would say go ahead with the young son though. No problem.

Have fun! Bring snow boots -- Boston will be cold at that time of year!

-BDBD
    Last edited by -bdbd; 12-03-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: obnoxious DBR-added editing

I don't see a problem

I was at the Purdue game last night wearing a blue Duke hat and my Cameron Crazies shirt. I sat right next to the student section, and they had a couple of things to say. I heard "ooooooooooo" when I walked in, so I blew them kisses. They were pretty much fine.

I did stand up a couple of times when there were big plays, which elicited a response once or twice. Generally, the fans just directed their energy to the team and the refs. At halftime and after the game, every Duke fan pretty much walked up to each other to say hi. It was pretty neat. I think that we talk about "hating" another team and people will yell profanities from time to time from far away, but nobody will ever get in your face.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    Hi guys

i live in Italy and i'm a longtime Duke fan, finally i'll have a chance to see my "blue devils" live.
    I'll be in Boston and i got a pair of tickets for the game vs BC.
    My purpose is to go there wearing my Duke sweat and make a lot of noise...

Is it advisable? In Europe that could be a little dangerous especially if there's some rivalry going on... you could get a punch on your nose.

So i ask you:

how is the environment at Boston College? I know i couldn't do that at Maryland for example... is it safe to cheer for Duke surrounded by BC fans? Can i take my 3 years old son with me?

thanks for your replies

carlo
    Boston is a pro sports town. If you were talking about wearing Yankees gear at Fenway, I'd advise more caution (although plenty of people do it), but out at BC you should be fine.

I think you'll be fine. A few years ago, I visited a friend at Wake Forest and sat in the student section openly cheering for Duke. People around me were more interested in having a good-spirited conversation about college bball and our teams rather than trying to fight or argue. I think that's what you'd find at BC. As long as you don't show up at Fenway in Yankees gear, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia888 View Post
    Wear your Duke shirt proudly. I can't imagine anyone would bother a 3 year-old (okay, maybe at MD, but not BC).

I once sat in the STUDENT section at Uva wearing my Duke sweatshirt. And I mean the Uva student section. And I wasn't the only one. Yeah, there were comments, but that was to be expected. I didn't care. We (Duke) beat them easily so I kept my cheering fairly subdued, but I wasn't going to pretend to be rooting for the Cavs.

I don't think I would be worried about wearing my Duke shirt anywhere other than MD. Those people are nuts.
    I've done that too. Most folks around me at the UVA game were fatalistic about their chances, and didn't particularly care that there was a Duke fan present. Actually, I felt more comfortable in U-Hall in Duke gear than I do in most sports bars.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

It's a good idea to make friends with those around you prior to the game. Talk up the game and compliment their team, school, etc. then when Duke whips them they'll have a harder time taking out their frustrations with you.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    It's a good idea to make friends with those around you prior to the game. Talk up the game and compliment their team, school, etc. then when Duke whips them they'll have a harder time taking out their frustrations with you.

haha i'll do it... i'll use all my italian charme... and about the yankees at Fenway... well i'm a Mets fan.. so damn yankees caps on me.

thanks guys for your advices. Just one more question, in U.S. arenas is it allowed to bring cameras in or is there some kind of copyrights prohibition?

Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    haha i'll do it... i'll use all my italian charme... and about the yankees at Fenway... well i'm a Mets fan.. so damn yankees caps on me.

thanks guys for your advices. Just one more question, in U.S. arenas is it allowed to bring cameras in or is there some kind of copyrights prohibition?

Carlo
    It varies. Duke has hassled some people in Cameron with DSLRs and decent lenses, but not people with point and shoots. I've carried a SLR into many arenas. The NCAA tourney won't let you bring them to the Final Four. Best to call ahead.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    Unless they haggle you not even 2 seconds after you sit down, which happens to me a bit when Duke plays Temple. In that case, I'm not trying to make friends, and it's every man/woman for themselves!