Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB Duke 76, Purdue 60 Post-Game

Nice game!

-jk

I love routining a team in a hostile environment.

Everybody played solid to great and Singler played dirty to in-your-face dirty. The only negative I can think of is Gerald's play.

The defense was spectacular.

A great defensive effort. Still want to see more offense from G but he was huge on the boards early and a big reason we built the early lead IMO.

Reminded me alot of last years game versus Wisconsin - lots of buzz going in about our weaknesses and their ability to exploit those weaknesses...but again, to no avail. Defense was strong; Kyle, Scheyer, Nolan & Paulus were money, G was quietly remarkable on the defensive end. A great effort in a true road game.

Good Game

Nice Defense good game. Dont like Jon playing 38 minutes, and Kyle playing 35 minutes when we have a double digit lead the whole game.

What a great effort, especially on the defensive end. The team just plays so darn hard -- it's terrific to watch.

It was another fantastic effort from the Scheyer/Singler combo, with lots of other guys chipping in with various contributions. I was really impressed with the way Duke started the second half -- it was one of those classic, "first five minutes" charges by the team. And they also handled some adversity, playing through foul trouble with Smith and Zoubek.

And what's great about this game is there's still room for improvement. The offense can still grow quite a bit. We had a chance to run the delay game for an extended period of time in a hostile environment, and now know what needs work there, too.

Let's enjoy this one!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue83 View Post
    Nice Defense good game. Dont like Jon playing 38 minutes, and Kyle playing 35 minutes when we have a double digit lead the whole game.
    that's a solid point, but this is one of the few big games before ACC play

Game thoughts

At times watching this game was torture- but now that Duke has won- I can be a bit more objective. First the defense was outstanding. Duke really took Purdue out of their comfort zone. But what impressed me most was the team rebounding. This was a big concern going into the season- but the boys were men today. Everybody bounded the ball and that was the difference. Few second shots for Purdue. Duke's shooting was not great. It took a while for Singler to get going. He is such a slow starter. But once he gets in a groove - he can be unstoppable. Henderson had one beautiful shot/drive but was really struggling tonight. Nolan was solid. To me, Scheyer was the man of the match. He was steady throughout. A couple of forced passes that led to turnovers but a nice overall game. Paulus had some nice moments as did Zoubek who had 8 bounds- with folks hanging on him. McClure also was very valuable tonight.

A lot of energy was expended tonight by Duke, and that probably led to the poor shooting. This team won big in a hostile arena and did not have a great shooting night- that bodes well. A great effort even though it was not pretty to watch.

I fear that we relied heavily on the three tonight... will it still be there in march?

Sorry to point out the obvious but the refs were awful. Especially the old guy with all the hair.
    Only six team fouls on PU in the first half?

Offense

They seem to be growing into respective offensive roles. Singler and Scheyer can both carry the team for stretches. I suspect either Nolan or Gerald will have to make a leap for us to be Final Four contenders though.

I'm enjoying Lance Thomas' effort at both ends more and more.

Purdue is not a top 10 team...

Absolutely tremendoud defensive effort, as good as any I can think of in recent years. The final stats will be a bit misleading because the bulk of Hummel and Moore's points came late when Purdue was scrambling. Singler and Thomas were great on Hummel, and Scheyer and McClure did a great job with Moore. Great, great win.

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    I fear that we relied heavily on the three tonight... will it still be there in march?
    It really wasn't there tonight. Duke didn't shoot *that* well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Everybody played solid to great and Singler played dirty to in-your-face dirty. The only negative I can think of is Gerald's play.

The defense was spectacular.
    Really? G had a great defensive game. We don't need his offense right now. Dude is the Wolf from Pulp Fiction - when we need him, he'll step up and clean up our mess (see Belmont, Southern Illinois).

Plus, I don't remember the last Duke player that got double teamed off the ball more than he does. When we have other offensive weapons, why force the ball through him when the D is denying him the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    I see your point to a degree, with 22 threes taken. However, I do not have any problem with any of those shots, if I remember correctly. They were all good shots in the flow of the offense that Duke needs to take when they are there. I know Singler missed something like his first 4 or 5 threes, but they were all good shots.

Very solid win

Wonderful outing taking Purdue out of everything they wanted to do. Nolan is learning to play the point, and huge kudos to Greg Paulus for keeping his head in every game when called upon this season. Seems like GP isn't losing a step coming off the bench, which gives Nolan the freedom to make mistakes, and more importantly, playing super agressive D.

I for one am not worried about our low 3 point shooting percentage in the early season. I'm seeing the team settle for fewer 3 pointers and more dedicated to getting inside to score, and more importantly, rebound. Even though we shot over 20 3 pointers, I saw us taking really good shots in the flow of the offense. More importantly, we weren't (and haven't been this season in general) gearing our whole offense to shoot the 3, which makes me very happy. In a close game, it's essential for us to be able to score inside rather than depend on outside shooting.

We knew Purdue wasn't strong on the boards coming into this game, but man, I don't remember such a strong Duke rebounding performance in a long time. I would gladly trade our long-range bombing for developing the inside toughness we're starting to see from this season's Duke squad-- Zoubek and Thomas are showing me some very strong play.

Have to give Purdue props for urging their team on in the face of adversity. There was so much excitement in that gym, it's too bad there wasn't a closer game for those fans. Speaking of the gym, I really liked the look of Purdue's facility

Great win!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Really? G had a great defensive game. We don't need his offense right now. Dude is the Wolf from Pulp Fiction - when we need him, he'll step up and clean up our mess (see Belmont, Southern Illinois).

Plus, I don't remember the last Duke player that got double teamed off the ball more than he does. When we have other offensive weapons, why force the ball through him when the D is denying him the ball?
    Yah, but he was 1-8 on offense and didn't even get to the foul line. I agree about the D, but those are never good numbers...

and double teamed off the ball?? This is just not true... I have never seen it

A few points...

- G with only 2 points...he brought it on defense and the boards, but if you would've told me we'd win by 10+ with Hendo only scoring 2, I'd call you crazy

- Absolute nuts by Singler. Great game.

- I think we need to spread the minutes out around. We could've used Nolan and Greg a little more to sub Jon out, and the Lance/Dave combo to give Kyle a bit of rest. Not alarmed they played so much, but they can't keep doing that all year.

Vitale

Although Vitale usually drives me up a wall, I thought that he was remarkable restrained tonight, especially in the first half. He kept on talking about the game, and actually made some insightful comments in the process. It really was night and day compared to the last Duke game he did...either he took his meds, or the network somehow chilled him out. There was some slippage in the second half, but overall, a well-called game for Dickie V.

And Duke played well too.