Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Music

I have a Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas album (the title escapes me now) that I love. It's got a great song based on O. Henry's "Gift of the Magi" and also has a song for you Carolinians called "Christmas in Carolina."

There's also a nice love song called "You're My Evergreen".

Love it!

Sufjan Stevens' "Songs for Christmas" is by far my favorite. Basically, the collection is composed of 6 discs that he sent out yearly (2001-2006) as Christmas cards to his friends. Well, the first 5 were private and the last was meant for release. Anyway, his compositions are original and utilize many instruments (often the banjo). I can't access youtube at work, but you can search for "sufjan stevens christmas" and come up with a few good ones from the album. Enjoy!

Smile Oy

So, I am stuck listening to Adam Sandler's Happy Hanukkah song. It beats the dreidel song.

As far as listening to Christmas music, I like Vince Guaraldi.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

I'm still on the lookout for a good version of Mary's Boy Child...
    I really like the Boney M version.

Alabama's "Christmas in Dixie" has always held a pretty special place in my heart too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    So, I am stuck listening to Adam Sandler's Happy Hanukkah song. It beats the dreidel song.

As far as listening to Christmas music, I like Vince Guaraldi.
    There's always Sarah Silverman's song.

BNL had a couple of good Hanukkah songs on their Holiday Album, too. As in, not joke songs.

Sirius/XM has a Hanukkah channel. Might be interesting to see what their playlist is.

A Cappella Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I had never heard of that, but I'll have to check it out, certainly sounds intriguing...

There's a Christmas album by the a capella band Rockapella, if you like that kind of thing. Some of the songs are quite good, including a version of Please Come Home for Christmas that I think sounds really great (much better than the original). Album is Comfort & Joy, I recommend you check it out.

Another a capella album I like is An Acappella Christmas by Glad. Its more religious, with some standards and some that I'm not as familiar with. To be honest the only song I really remember form the album is "In the First Light" which is one of my favorite non-traditional Christmas songs.

There are some other more traditional albums I'll mention later, I need to go check the collection. And for the record, those two a cappella ablums are the only a cappella albums I own. I'm not actually a fan of a cappella in general, but those two albums were great.
    Thanks for those recommendations. For more, try Chanticleer: Our Heart's Joy. It is exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Of all the Christmas music, anyone care to guess which song I have the most versions of? 14 different artists did a total of 16 versions of this song...
    The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting on a open fire . . .") would be my first guess.

Phil Spector produced a ton of great Christmas Songs. I'm rather fond of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love as featured in Gremlins, an oft forgotten Christmas Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Phil Spector produced a ton of great Christmas Songs. I'm rather fond of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love as featured in Gremlins, an oft forgotten Christmas Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Now it's Christmas!!!

What no 'Funky, Funky Christmas'?

My dad has a big collection of holiday CDs. One of my favorites, is one of the Elvis Christmas CDs, 'If Every Day Was Like Christmas'.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    There's a Christmas album by the a capella band Rockapella, if you like that kind of thing.
    Weren't they the ones on Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?, the game show?

Mariah Carey. Her voice is just so amazing.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music, and I love choral music. My favorite choir is the King's College Choir. They have put out several CDs of Christmas music that, IMO, are the best of the best.

Having said that, I second the James Taylor Christmas album recommendation, too. His version of "Some Children See Him" is exquisitely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting on a open fire . . .") would be my first guess.
    Nope. Wanna guess again? I'll tell tomorrow night if you don't give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Weren't they the ones on Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?, the game show?
    Yep. They scored a Folger's commercial (a Christmas-themed one, in fact) a few years back too. They really are quite good.

"Well, she sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina.
    She's a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize.
    She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China.
    Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"

Nope. Wanna guess again? I'll tell tomorrow night if you don't give it another shot.
    O Holy Night??
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Either Silent Night or Little Drummer Boy.