My Early Preseason Top 25

Since I'm completely bored with this final four, I made a really, really, really early look at next year.

1 Ohio State
    2 UCLA
    3 Kansas
    4 Memphis
    5 UNC
    6 Tennessee
    7 Louisville
    8 USC
    9 Georgetown
    10 Michigan State
    11 Washington State
    12 Pitt
    13 Oregon
    14 Arizona
    15 Duke
    16 Butler
    17 Southern Illinois
    18 Kansas State
    19 Texas A&M
    20 Arkansas
    21 Syracuse
    22 Marquette
    23 Davidson
    24 Indiana
    25 NC State

Obviously, there's a lot of guesses about who's staying and leaving. Guys who I guessed are leaving are: Oden, Durant, Afflalo, all the Florida guys, Hibbert, and Wright.

Feel free to tear the list apart and say who you think I've left off or overrated/underrated.

Way too early

It is way too early for ranking. We have no idea who is leaving as of yet. A lot can change in two months. If everyone is back= then you have to have UNC up in the top three. Rank the women- that is more certain.

way too early...but, with or without Oden next year... Ohio State will be LOADED...!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It is way too early for ranking. We have no idea who is leaving as of yet. A lot can change in two months. If everyone is back= then you have to have UNC up in the top three. Rank the women- that is more certain.
    I agree it is too early, this is a "just for fun" thing to see what teams people are thinking about next year.

As far as UNC, I'm assuming that Wright leaves but Hansbrough and Lawson come back. If all three stay, I would put UNC in the top three.

Not just Oden

Quote Originally Posted by werperry View Post
    way too early...but, with or without Oden next year... Ohio State will be LOADED...!
    Yes but he may not be the best player on their team- others may leave as well- a lot depends on Monday Night.

Agreed.....

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes but he may not be the best player on their team- others may leave as well- a lot depends on Monday Night.
    I think Florida wins again in convincing fashion, but if OSU does win then Oden and Conley are gone I think.

Quote Originally Posted by werperry View Post
    Exactly. I assumed Oden was leaving, but that still leaves Conley, Cook, Butler, Hunter, Lighty, and Terwilliger. And they have another great class coming in.

Crux of the Matter

Tonight is key for OSU.

If they win (please) Oden is gone, so is Conley (cause if he doesn't play well, OSU won't win), and possibly Cook.

Even without Oden, OSU is, as you say, loaded. However, among all their recruits and bench players there are no ball handlers. If Conley goes, with Oden, OSU is nothing more than a bunch of fancy parts with no motor.

To early to tell on the rest. Attrition can change so much, as can coaching changes, recruits changing minds, etc.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Even without Oden, OSU is, as you say, loaded. However, among all their recruits and bench players there are no ball handlers. If Conley goes, with Oden, OSU is nothing more than a bunch of fancy parts with no motor.
    If Conley goes, Ohio State definately drops a bit. However, Jamar Butler would be a decent enough point guard/ball handler to keep OSU a very good team.

You have Indiana way too low. DJ White is very likely to return, and IU adds Eric Gordon and a top juco wing named Jamarcus Ellis. Add that to returning pg Armon Bassett (who you may recall scored 16 at Duke), 2 guard AJ Ratliff, and you have a very strong core.

And I agree that OSU will be very good even if Conley leaves. Jamar Butler was the starting pg last year and for much of his freshman year as well. Depth at pg could be concern if Conley leaves because they won't have a back up for Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by BTBall View Post
    You have Indiana way too low. DJ White is very likely to return, and IU adds Eric Gordon and a top juco wing named Jamarcus Ellis. Add that to returning pg Armon Bassett (who you may recall scored 16 at Duke), 2 guard AJ Ratliff, and you have a very strong core.
    I agree with you that the Hoosiers have a solid core and the makings of an NCAA tournament team, but don't forget that Indiana loses Wilmont and Calloway, their two best guards. Indiana wasn't a Top 25 team at the end of this season, so by putting them in the Top 25 at all I'm agreeing with you that their recruits are going to make IU a better team.