Thread: Banjo Players?

Banjo Players?

Just started learning to play the banjo and was wondering if we had any DBR pickers. Picked up a Fender banjo from the local pawn shop and have had 2 lessons. Can see already the challenge to get the right and left hand to coordinate with one another. Never played a musical instrument but always enjoyed watching/listening to someone play the banjo. Any suggestions, recommendations, etc.

I can't really help, other than to point out that Kermit the Frog is the greatest banjo player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post
    Just started learning to play the banjo and was wondering if we had any DBR pickers. Picked up a Fender banjo from the local pawn shop and have had 2 lessons. Can see already the challenge to get the right and left hand to coordinate with one another. Never played a musical instrument but always enjoyed watching/listening to someone play the banjo. Any suggestions, recommendations, etc.
    Listen, listen, listen to as many banjo players as you can. I'm guessing this won't be a problem if you've already picked up the banjo. Have fun, don't get discouraged, and play until your fingers bleed, then play some more. Calluses rule.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Listen, listen, listen to as many banjo players as you can. I'm guessing this won't be a problem if you've already picked up the banjo. Have fun, don't get discouraged, and play until your fingers bleed, then play some more. Calluses rule.
    Every time I go into a guitar shop and see a banjo, I almost purchase it. Inspired by Steve Martin (who is actually a damn good picker), I've always wanted to learn to play it.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Every time I go into a guitar shop and see a banjo, I almost purchase it. Inspired by Steve Martin (who is actually a damn good picker), I've always wanted to learn to play it.

-EarlJam
    EJ, DO IT! You got pickin' skills man. The world would be a better place if you played the banjo. Stop hurting the world EJ. Play!

http://www.banjohangout.org/ Great forum to post on - learn from - etc...

I pick a little... my dad plays the banjo non-stop... I stick mostly to the guitar all though I am hoping to get a dobro one of these days.

If the violin wasn't so hard (not to mention annoying) I would certainly purchase one and get some lessons.

The bagpipes would be awesome too.

Do it ej!

I felt the same way for many a year EJ and finally succumbed to my inner self. Of course the wife telling me I needed another hobby (other than golf) also helped.

Joke: What is one thing you will NEVER hear?

"Say, isn't that the banjo player's Mercedes???"

why are there no banjos in The Jetsons?

cause it's the freakin FUTURE...

Anyone ever here Steve Martin's shtick on playing the banjo? Good stuff. He says you just can't play a sad song with the banjo. It's impossible. He then proceeds to play an upbeat, pickin' and grinnin' tune with the lyrics, "Oh death, and grief and murder and sorrow!"

This was during his "arrow through the head, cocaine snorting" days.

-EJ

My wife gave me a banjo for my birthday in October. We haven't been able to coordinate the lessons yet. My inspiration for learning my first instrument is more folky than bluegrass. I'm looking forward to learning.

What's the difference between a banjo and a Harley?

You can tune a Harley...sometimes.