Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

North Carolina 28, Duke 20

Back in August, I suggested here and to David Cutcliffe during "Meet the Blue Devils day" that when we beat James Madison for Coach's first win at Duke that we tear down the goal posts. Well, Coach didn't like that idea and asked that we not do it then, save it for "a big game that means something". In the interview posted here, in the 10th minute or so, http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/4031261/ he is asked about the goal posts and Coach refers to the JMU game again. Now while he doesn't advocate tearing down the posts for fear of someone getting hurt, and he doesn't want to get fired for suggesting it (WE DON'T EITHER!) he does say this is a big game (DUH!) and says let's see what happens spontaneously after we win. Personally, I favor a repeat of this scene!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

WW goal posts

I'm not even sure how that works any more.

1 - The rules (and security personnel) are fairly strict about keeping non-players off of the playing field.

2 - The current goal posts actually "kneel" and collapse very quickly.

3 - While beating unc is momentous, is it worth the goal posts??

4 - What per cent of the Duke students will even be on campus due to the Thanksgiving break?

k

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Oh Hell Yes!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With the youth of the university elsewhere Saturday, I'm not certain the good old alumni should be the ones bringing the posts down. Too many hips will snap. Besides, I believe the posts should only come down to celebrate a meaningful victory. I place the 'Holes just below JMU.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    With the youth of the university elsewhere Saturday, I'm not certain the good old alumni should be the ones bringing the posts down. Too many hips will snap. Besides, I believe the posts should only come down to celebrate a meaningful victory. I place the 'Holes just below JMU.
    old alumni, hmm. . . I resemble that remark. For the record, I will happily help tear down the goal posts when the opportunity arises Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I'm not even sure how that works any more.

1 - The rules (and security personnel) are fairly strict about keeping non-players off of the playing field.

2 - The current goal posts actually "kneel" and collapse very quickly.

4 - What per cent of the Duke students will even be on campus due to the Thanksgiving break?

k
    Rules, shmools. We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Coach Cut addressed this during his interview linked. He thinks it is alright for fans to come onto the field to held celebrate a victory (yellow shirts be damned).

Yes, the new style posts kneel - they have a pivot joint at the bottom. How they detach I have no idea.

Beating carolina is worth a goal post. Too bad it is not for us to become bowl eligible and to keep them from being so. At least we can keep them out of the Peach Bowl.

You're right. There may not be enough students around to carry them up to the main quad. It takes a 8 to 10 to carry the dang thing, often working in shifts as they are heavy. Upon further review, we'll have plenty of students and fans to carry them up the stadium, through the parking lot, onto the bonfire quad and to the J B Duke statue as pictured.

As long as we get to ring the Victory Bell and keep it in Durham Saturday night (and thereafter), I'll be satisfied. And quite happy.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ring that bell...

The Victory Bell belongs in Durham. Too many years it's been ringing in Chapel Hill. When we get it back, please don't store it away, out of sight until next November! During the basketball season the Victory Bell belongs in Cameron.... the new score board has nothing on OUR Victory Bell!

There's a decent contingent of students within driving distance coming back for the game, and with no tailgate beforehand they'll all be coherent enough to take down the goalposts afterwards if the opportunity presents itself...

My friend and I are driving down Saturday for the game. If we win, we are rushing the field, then we are heading back to our car to drive back to DC to celebrate my 26th birthday at the stroke of midnight. Let's get that Victory Bell!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Don't worry about a lack of students. There will be enough people for whatever it takes - enough people live close enough to come back and show up for the Carolina game.

We need to worry about the football.

Eh. Win like you've done it before. ... I know, I know we haven't done it in a while. But still.

Wink Historically speaking

26 years ago, the students tore down goal posts after beating UNC. This was, of course, the Red Wilson era. RED MEANS GO!!

I am unsure whether there are Duke history students over there who have looked into this phenomenon. I would imagine that a few of them might be interested in examining this part of our history.

I fully expect to see the goalposts come down tomorrow evening. Go Devils... let's make it a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. for Butch and ring that Bell!

Absolute Blitzkrieg drive by Duke to begin the game. Thank God Thad Lewis is back.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 11-29-2008 at 03:41 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

God I hate UNC.

That 55 yard FG by Joe Surgan right before halftime is a big score. Duke is trailing 21-17 but how many times have teams that scored right before half come out with momentum on their side in the second half? That is a rhetorical question. GO DUKE!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    God I hate UNC.
    It's okay. He hates em too.

we have to do better on those swing passes to the backs. they are getting 10"+ yards every time they run that play.

how short is our secondary? seems like everybody goes over them.

Crap. Sad end to a good season.

20. This game was a microcosm of the season. Great effort, solid play, but we're still learning how to win. Penalties, inability to punch it in, dropped passes, all the little things that we're still learning. Season ended out about as I expected it. Here's to building on this and being better next season.

Thank you to all the seniors, especially Mike Tauiliili, who gave us everything we could ask for today. Whatever to voters say, he's an All-American to me. Thank you seniors, thank you Cut, and let's go Duke!