Gunnin' For That #1 Spot - GREAT Movie feat. Kyle and Nolan

Just saw it and it was wildly entertaining. A great chronicle of the events leading up to and including the Elite 24 game at Rucker Park in NYC.

Some random observations:

1. Michael Beasley is a fantastically hilarious and endearing dude, in a giant puppy dog sense. His constant ragging on Kevin Love is, by itself, worth the $3.99 I paid to watch the movie (Durham cable channel 501 - Movies On Demand).

2. Kevin Love seems like kind of a tool, but not quite as bad as some make him out to be.

3. Tyreke Evans actually seems like a good kid coming from a very bad situation. The clips with his older brother were riveting.

4. Donte Green (Syracuse) and his entire family will warm your heart.

5. JJ Hickson, although he is hardly featured in the film, apparently was the leading scorer in this game.

And, of course, the reason that many Duke fans will want to see this is that Kyle is one of the eight featured players. The game announcer glossed him with a few wacky nicknames, including "Shampoo" and "The Wig" (his hair was long in the film). Also, I loved all of the old clips of Kyle playing a multitude of sports as he was growing up.

As an added bonus, Nolan got a bit of screen time.

Highly recommended, folks.

Best Line

Michael Beasley talking about "offense, defense...any kind of fence".

It's funny how watching a movie like this can change your opinion about somebody. My pre-movie opinion of Beasley was negative to indifferent, but now I hope the kid makes it big in life.

Likewise, my rather uninformed opinion of Tyreke Evans was that he was a street punk. But I hope that he also succeeds in life.

Kyle comes off as a generally all-around great kid (but we all know that already!) - very humble and respectful, with sort of a "small-town" vibe (as I recall, this was his first visit to NYC).

And Nolan, although he had no speaking parts and only appeared in a few scenes, appears to be the kind of guy that everybody loves and wants to be around. Nolan's also rising up my list of all-time favorites, because of his game AND his personality on and off the court.

That sounds great, slower. Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to watch it since I first heard about it. I saw a clip of it on Amazon, where you can also rent or purchase it, and it was really funny. Maybe once the semester is over and I have a little more time I'll be able to watch it.

The film is available to watch instantly for Netflix members... I'm going to check it out tonight. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    The film is available to watch instantly for Netflix members... I'm going to check it out tonight. Just an FYI.
    Thanks for the tip. Streaming it to my laptop now. Technology is great.

The film was pretty decent. Not exactly a great documentary, but worth watching. As a basketball fan, I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. They did a brief overview of the eight featured players. Each one felt like something you would see during a halftime feature. I think the film would have been a little better had they focused more closely on four players.

Then again, you wouldn't know much about who you were watching on the court if they focused on fewer players. Anyway, I was curious about who else was on the court, since there were 24 total players in the game and they didn't name many of them. I found a full roster here. I would think that O.J. Mayo would have been an interesting kid to profile. However, he was pretty much a walking red flag in those days and anyone who became involved with him probably risked becoming part of a scandal.

I heard about this movie in an NPR interview with Adam Yauch (aka MCA), bassist of the beastie boys, who produced the movie. He talked about how interesting it was to see guys like kyle and kevin love in that environment, thought it sounded pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    I heard about this movie in an NPR interview with Adam Yauch (aka MCA), bassist of the beastie boys, who produced the movie. He talked about how interesting it was to see guys like kyle and kevin love in that environment, thought it sounded pretty cool
    I watched it last night. It is interesting to see the life of guys like Singler and Love contrasted with Tyreke Evans and Lance Stephenson. The whole thing makes me want to root for certain guys more... and Michael Beasley is hilarious.

I was struck with Kyle's humility. Seems like a supremely easy going guy.