Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry

I wonder if his arms will get tired by the time he plays us. Another 39 tonight. The kid can put up points. Right now- he and Blake Griffin, who is averaging 26 and 20!, are front runners for player of the year.

I know it's way early, but I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone other than Curry or Griffin won the national player of the year awards.

Hansbrough

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I know it's way early, but I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone other than Curry or Griffin won the national player of the year awards.
    Well about 3 weeks ago, Mr. Hansbrough was looking like a pretty strong candidate to repeat.

It's interesting - most/all of his games this season have been seemingly quiet efforts. You'll look up, and all of a sudden, he has 25 points. He is truly a special player; we are a good team. For us to be a great team, however, another 1 - 2 players need to step up. Forward Andrew Lovedale is averaging 12 and 10; if that continues, as well as another player (perhaps SG Bryant Barr, or SF Will Archambault) steps up, we could be a great team.

I truly do get excited each time Curry plays; not entirely for me, but for people who haven't seen him play in person to do so. It really is a treat. For those of you on this board who haven't seen the man play, please make it a point to tune in on January 7 on ESPN (I believe that's our next TV game).

Really looking forward to our matchup with Duke in January. I think you'll see Gerald, Jon and Nolan all switching off defending Curry. Best of luck to Duke this season (my second favorite team), I'm proud of the way they've been playing so far.

Smile The Lefty Legacy Game

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson09 View Post
    It's interesting - most/all of his games this season have been seemingly quiet efforts. You'll look up, and all of a sudden, he has 25 points. He is truly a special player; we are a good team. For us to be a great team, however, another 1 - 2 players need to step up. Forward Andrew Lovedale is averaging 12 and 10; if that continues, as well as another player (perhaps SG Bryant Barr, or SF Will Archambault) steps up, we could be a great team.

I truly do get excited each time Curry plays; not entirely for me, but for people who haven't seen him play in person to do so. It really is a treat. For those of you on this board who haven't seen the man play, please make it a point to tune in on January 7 on ESPN (I believe that's our next TV game).
    Most of us recall him in last year's matchup (here's the ESPN review of last year's game).

Any changes/improvements in his game since Duke last faced him?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Lavabe,

I went to the game in Charlotte and Curry was not as great as his usual self, but he was playing with a wrist splint, similar to G's. Doc

It's even more impressive that he's averaging 7.8 assists to go with his 35 points per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Most of us recall him in last year's matchup (here's the ESPN review of last year's game).

Any changes/improvements in his game since Duke last faced him?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I think there's definitely an improvement in his game from the last time the 'Cats and Devils faced off. For one thing, Steph has been running the point (as has been long speculated); hence, his ballhandling skills have gone up. He's having to make decisions not just concerning him with the ball, but others with the ball (at least, more than he did last year). Also, it doesn't hurt that he picked up tips this summer from LeBron, Steve Nash and Chris Paul.

clipsfan-

to me, what this says is that he may not have a lot of talent around him. the one game i saw with him earlier this year, he had like 45 of the 70 total points for the team. that is ridiculous in terms of getting others involved. anytime one player means THAT MUCH to a team, that team may falter down the stretch when it meets up with stronger competition.

he's a great player, there is no doubt about it, but they are in need, apparently, of some more scoring from many more members of that team.

my $.02.

dth.

That kid is a damn beast.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    he's a great player, there is no doubt about it, but they are in need, apparently, of some more scoring from many more members of that team.
    I do definitely agree with this, though.

This kid is in insane shape. I saw a vid of him conditioning on ESPN and he just doesn't get tired. Playing the point and handling the scoring may tire him down but only in the ncaa tourney if he does get tired.

Curry put up 0 points tonight on 0-3 shooting against Loyola (MD). What the heck happened???

From the front page... Does he have a brother? Seth Curry from Charlotte, NC put up 26 tonight for Liberty to beat UVA. He's averaging over 20 points a game.

Edit: It is his brother. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=2929420
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 11-25-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: More info...

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Curry put up 0 points tonight on 0-3 shooting against Loyola (MD). What the heck happened???

From the front page... Does he have a brother? Seth Curry from Charlotte, NC put up 26 tonight for Liberty to beat UVA. He's averaging over 20 points a game.

Edit: It is his brother. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=2929420
    He played the whole game. Maybe his arm did get tired. But 0-3? Looks like they put a junk defense on him. Will be interesting to see the recap

So it seems that they put 2 defenders on him the entire time. And somehow I think Curry just found it comical and decided to "cooperate". So he just stood far away from the action and let the team play 4 on 3. Hilarious.

I'm proud that Duke was the only team that ever held him to single digit. Before today, that is.

I just got home, but I felt compelled to comment on the Davidson game tonight. I wasn't at the game (flying home). My friend/roommate/fellow pep band member called me after the game, detailing it to me. Basically, as the recap says, Loyola(MD) literally stuck 2 defenders on Curry every time he touched the ball. But that also forced them to a play a 4 on 3 game with the others.

It was truly a bizarre night. I liked it, though. We all know Curry and score, and could have put up 50 tonight if he wanted to. But this game showed 2 important things. First, that he is a class act - he only took 3 shots, choosing to give the ball up to teammates with better looks. Very team-oriented, despite what current stats might say. Second, it was a very important game for others to gain confidence in themselves. Forward Andrew Lovedale is a double-double man now, I believe - averaging something like 12 and 10 a game. Bryant Barr and Will Archambault got that boost of confidence from tonight and last night that I think will really help us.

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel said that to beat Davidson, you need to contain the others on the team, because Curry will put up numbers on you no matter what. Well, this game sort of tested that. We needed our other guys to be able to make plays and play with confidence that will help us down the road.

P.S. Stpeh's brother, Seth, is a freshman at Liberty (Big South). Liberty just beat UVA tonight. Good win for Liberty. Seth is something special, too.

We all know Curry and score, and could have put up 50 tonight if he wanted to. But this game showed 2 important things. First, that he is a class act - he only took 3 shots, choosing to give the ball up to teammates with better looks. Very team-oriented, despite what current stats might say.
    I agree with the class act and team involvement thing, but 50 points? Is that hyperbole? It sounds like that defense really forced the ball out of his hands. He would have had to take a lot of tough shots to get to 30, it seems.

P.S. Stpeh's brother, Seth, is a freshman at Liberty (Big South). Liberty just beat UVA tonight. Good win for Liberty. Seth is something special, too.
    Thanks for the info. Seth appeared to play well tonight at UVA.

Ah, I should clarify my statement. What I meant to say was that under normal circumstances (Steph gets the team's best defenders, and draws the occasional double team) he could put up 50 points (see: 44 against Oklahoma on an off night). But you're right, tonight, Steph was guarded, it seems, so that he couldn't do much with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    clipsfan-

to me, what this says is that he may not have a lot of talent around him. the one game i saw with him earlier this year, he had like 45 of the 70 total points for the team. that is ridiculous in terms of getting others involved. anytime one player means THAT MUCH to a team, that team may falter down the stretch when it meets up with stronger competition.

my $.02.

dth.
    Apparently the do just fine playing 4-3. Seriously though, Lovedale is a solid post player and some of their other guys can heat up from long range. And they know what winning is like and play as a team. Don't underestimate the team that they have around him. If you replaced Curry with a solid starting point guard, say a 12ppg 6apg type guy, Davidson would still be a solid midmajor squad and win their conference. As it is they can play with anyone any time anywhere

Go Davidson

I love watching Steph Curry play. I'm always wishing Davidson great success (..well unless they are playing Duke). I truly hope that Curry has a true opportunity to 'show is stuff' in the NBA. (As opposed to JJ who has been buried in the lowly land of the state of Florida).