Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thumbs up At the 12-5-92 Michigan game,all stanzas of the Michigan fight song had been reworded

Quote Originally Posted by Regenman View Post
    Just wanted to doublecheck. For the Fab 5 in 12/92, I distinctly remember that a cheer sheet was passed around and it was pretty good. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Oh, a few years back I was standing (as an instructor) in the State student section in a home game against UNC. McCants was on the free throw line. The entire crowd started chanting "STD". Watching McCants tilt his head to hear the crowd and then figure out what they were saying was PRICELESS. He missed his first free throw and the crowd just erupted. Then he proceeded to absolutely torch the Wolfpack. Still one of the best moments I've had at a basketball game ever.
    and were sung repeatedly as the band played.It ended with the "assh**** of the west."
    That was the game before which that Rose made ridiculous,perhaps bigoted, comments (think Rodman--Bird,selected as the greatest small forward of all time) about Hurley.Big mistake--Hurley played all 40 minutes and had 20 points(3 of 6 3-pointers) and 5 assists;Rose had 1 assist;Duke had Hill,Parks,Hurley,and Thos. Hill in double figures;Duke forced 19 t/os; and Duke won each half to win 79-68.

"Safety school" and "Basketball 101"----when Rose retrieved a stuck bball on the rim,he was showered with his course description.

But most impressive was the glass shattering noise level the entire game.And we kicked some Wolverine butt.
    Noise is the key.If you make a visiting player feel at home ,he plays better.

Best regards--Blueprofessor

Question What was Cameron like at the FSU game?

any details appreciated...

Best regards---Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    They want to wear wigs, paint their faces blue, and be a part of the chants they hear on TV.
    I don't see a problem with that.

Basketball is secondary. I know this to be true because I've been to nearly every game at Cameron over the past four years and have seen these types up close and personal. I've heard them talk about how glad they are to be on the "TV side".
    "TV side" and "non-TV side" are just shorthand phrases that students use to designate which side they're sitting on, since "right" and "left" don't have much meaning when you're standing in one of these sections. I don't think you can necessarily infer that just because people enjoy being on the "TV side" that they only care about being on TV. If they're like me, they probably prefer being on the TV side because that side is more energetic and fun. I'm usually so far on the edge of the section that I can't be seen on TV, but I still prefer the TV side because many people on the non-TV side don't cheer as much, or at least that is my impression from watching them and from sitting there a few times. I actually felt awkward when I was on the non-TV side and was surrounded by opposing fans and casual/quiet Duke fans, while I was cheering my heart out.

I've seen them watch for reassurance the reactions of other, more knowledgeable before they cheer themselves
    Again, I don't see anything wrong with this. Maybe they're just new. Maybe they're less knowledgeable but are trying to get the hang of it. I had never watched an entire basketball game before getting to Duke, then I fell in love with it my freshman year, and have tried to learn as much as I can since then and go to every game.

And why wouldn't you watch for the reactions of others? No one wants to stand out doing the wrong cheer. I actually was mildly embarrassed last night when a foul was called on FSU, and I could have sworn it was on one of the guys who had 3 fouls already, so I started doing the "four, four, four" chant, until the girl in front of me said, "Um, I think it was on [some other player]." Whoops. Well, shut my mouth. So, I can see why people might be waiting for other people's reactions.

I've heard them curse when the TV camera guy stops before he gets to their locale.
    OK, yeah, that is annoying. I kind of hate cheering for the camera. But I still don't know how you can assume that they're just there to be on TV, and basketball is secondary. I think a lot of people like going to games, and, oh yeah, they might get to be on TV, too. Bully for them.

I'm not trying to be defensive; I just interpret the situation differently and really don't see it as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    any details appreciated...

Best regards---Blueprof
    The student section definitely filled up early and we had to squish to get everyone in, so that was good. In terms of cheering, first half was so-so, but people kicked it up a notch in the second, and even got the upper deck to stand up for some of those crucial possessions. The place went nuts on those key plays at the end by Singler and Henderson. Still, I feel like Coach K and Greg and others shouldn't have to wave their arms to get us to increase our volume. The volume should already be high.

Edited to add that I saw a poster (before coming into Cameron, so I assume it was displayed) that had a message for the seniors and said something like, "You had us at hello." Ha, thought that was sweet.

Thumbs up Thanks,zingit.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    The student section definitely filled up early and we had to squish to get everyone in, so that was good. In terms of cheering, first half was so-so, but people kicked it up a notch in the second, and even got the upper deck to stand up for some of those crucial possessions. The place went nuts on those key plays at the end by Singler and Henderson. Still, I feel like Coach K and Greg and others shouldn't have to wave their arms to get us to increase our volume. The volume should already be high.

Edited to add that I saw a poster (before coming into Cameron, so I assume it was displayed) that had a message for the seniors and said something like, "You had us at hello." Ha, thought that was sweet.
    What did that sign mean?

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    What did that sign mean?

It's from "Jerry Maguire."

Also, several posters have said the Crazies need to be more spontaneous. That doesn't really make sense. If the Crazies try to be spontaneous--well, then they're not. By definition. I really think loudness is the biggest area where Cameron could improve. A couple times I have tried to start a cheer (like tonight I tried to start a "Thank you, seniors" chant during warm-ups), and people around me just ignored me. Disappointing. I think it's mainly the line monitors' responsibility to start cheers; people seem to actually follow them.
    For the record, I thought we were rather loud last night...Though in the middle of the student section its sometimes tough to judge. But yes, I was next to a senior who's gone to 4 games this year and didn't know half the cheers. Meh, Senior day is senior day...i approve of that, personally.

As for the line monitors, i wholeheartedly agree...and they fail miserably. Please take this critique seriously here...the Line Monitors do a great job running KVille, making sure the lines are in order, etc.

But a. once the game starts the only chant they can start is O! BABY! and b. well, nothing. Before the game, one of the line monitors (I don't know his name, he thinks putting a mullet wig on is cool) tried making us imitate the Spartans in 300 for like the 4th game. And let me tell you:

"Crazies, what is your profession- AHOO AHOO AHOO"

is LAME as hell! Moreover, he was more concerned over us doing this in PREGAME than in doing anything over the game. Copying a movie in a completely unmeaningful way (We're not the spartans, for god sakes!) and being more freaking concerned over if you can get a pregame chant going is just plain stupid. It needs to stop.

I know the Line Monitors don't have a place in the section where they can be easily seen by the students, but still...I like putting chants for in game on the cheer sheet, and make sure they're not stupid (Like the "You got Lanced" concept that didn't ever work).

My frosh year, the Viking* in the grad section led the crazies. And we were freaking awesome. Someone needs to carry on that tradition, and while it need not be a grad student, someone has to.

*For the record, since the viking left, no one has been able to get the crazies into a real good "Boing boing" chant, so it seems like only 1/4 the crowd'll do it when it starts (the rest will keep on yelling) and/or the crowd will try it like 10 times in a half (shouldn't be more than two).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

if you respond with "that's not true", I'm either going to assume that a) you don't know what you're talking about, or b) you're getting defensive because you know you're one of the people to whom I'm referring. To the casual reader: don't be offended, because I'm probably not talking about you.
    That is a tremendous debating strategy! I wish I had thought of it first

I didn't read the DBR piece until today but I read the N&O article yesterday and found it annoying. So the Crazies aren't clever anymore? Well, when they held up pictures of Do'h during free throws in Roy's first year I had local friends (not even b-ball fans much less UNC fans) tell me based on reading about it in the N&O of course that it was a cruel thing to do. I had another person recently tell me that making mention of the UNC player's girlfriend turning down the marriage proposals was definitely borderline because personal stuff should be off limits. Shaking Wal Mart bags in honor of a player who had shoplifted there made Pat Summit angry enough to threaten not to come play at Duke any more if the fans didn't behave better. Heckling in a foreign language to a foreign born opponent just earns you sarcastic remarks along the lines of "oh you think you're so smart". Cheer sheets have been universally derided as geeky and basically fake cleverness. The N&O mentions how taunting Sean May with a cheeseburger on a fishing line was considered funny by some of the UNC players, and people here have mentioned "Please don't eat me" for Nigel Dixon, but in both of those cases at the time fans were told that making fun of a kid for a weight problem should be off limits.

So what exactly is left? Hey, maybe you guys ought to wear identical t-shirts and wave around professionally made free-throw distraction devices supplied to you by the athletic department. That's what passes for being "great student fans" pretty much everywhere else.

Sure fans were better back in my day (j/k - just had to say it). Maybe sometimes the cheers aren't super clever any more but here is what I like about Cameron: I like the fact that during timeouts people cheer/clap along with whatever the band and cheerleaders do instead of tuning out because the time outs are filled with commercial promotions like they are in many other arenas. And I like it when it gets really loud and my ears are ringing afterwards.

Oh Baby!

I should save this post on my hard drive because I seem to say this often on this board:

You Blue Devil fans are spoiled, spoiled, spoiled! So last nights crowd wasn't as loud as possible. Come to Freedom Hall and watch half of the "fans" leave half way through the second half - if the Cardinals are winning or not - to beat the traffic. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find the student section at Rupp arena. And getting anything even half as clever as "Gerald's Winning" out of either arena would be a miracle.

I love DBR but you kids over-analyze EVERYTHING! Relax. Enjoy the success of your elite program, the brilliance of your Hall of Fame Coach, and the fabulousity of your Crazies! (BTW, who cares what the Greeks think?) God forbid Duke ever decides to renovate or replace Cameron - you think you've got "good old days" now, sheeez...

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I didn't read the DBR piece until today but I read the N&O article yesterday and found it annoying. So the Crazies aren't clever anymore? Well, when they held up pictures of Do'h during free throws in Roy's first year I had local friends (not even b-ball fans much less UNC fans) tell me based on reading about it in the N&O of course that it was a cruel thing to do. I had another person recently tell me that making mention of the UNC player's girlfriend turning down the marriage proposals was definitely borderline because personal stuff should be off limits. Shaking Wal Mart bags in honor of a player who had shoplifted there made Pat Summit angry enough to threaten not to come play at Duke any more if the fans didn't behave better. Heckling in a foreign language to a foreign born opponent just earns you sarcastic remarks along the lines of "oh you think you're so smart". Cheer sheets have been universally derided as geeky and basically fake cleverness. The N&O mentions how taunting Sean May with a cheeseburger on a fishing line was considered funny by some of the UNC players, and people here have mentioned "Please don't eat me" for Nigel Dixon, but in both of those cases at the time fans were told that making fun of a kid for a weight problem should be off limits.

So what exactly is left? Hey, maybe you guys ought to wear identical t-shirts and wave around professionally made free-throw distraction devices supplied to you by the athletic department. That's what passes for being "great student fans" pretty much everywhere else.

Sure fans were better back in my day (j/k - just had to say it). Maybe sometimes the cheers aren't super clever any more but here is what I like about Cameron: I like the fact that during timeouts people cheer/clap along with whatever the band and cheerleaders do instead of tuning out because the time outs are filled with commercial promotions like they are in many other arenas. And I like it when it gets really loud and my ears are ringing afterwards.

Oh Baby!
    Amen, Merry. You wrote the post I wanted to write much better than the one I did write. If that makes sense. I was there for all of the awesome, clever stuff you mentioned, and I think your post serves as proof that anyone who says that the Crazies don't come up with clever stuff "anymore" is just plain wrong.

As an aside, I noticed that this got merged with the "Complaining about the Crazies Collector Thread." Shouldn't the original Our Call article by DBR be merged with this thread as well?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    I should save this post on my hard drive because I seem to say this often on this board:

You Blue Devil fans are spoiled, spoiled, spoiled! So last nights crowd wasn't as loud as possible. Come to Freedom Hall and watch half of the "fans" leave half way through the second half - if the Cardinals are winning or not - to beat the traffic. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find the student section at Rupp arena. And getting anything even half as clever as "Gerald's Winning" out of either arena would be a miracle.

I love DBR but you kids over-analyze EVERYTHING! Relax. Enjoy the success of your elite program, the brilliance of your Hall of Fame Coach, and the fabulousity of your Crazies! (BTW, who cares what the Greeks think?) God forbid Duke ever decides to renovate or replace Cameron - you think you've got "good old days" now, sheeez...
    Amen. Thanks for the perspective. It sometimes drives me crazy to read some of the posts that complain about almost anything and everything - from play to fans to Greeks to the temperature of Cameron.

IMO we need to be thankful for our team, our indoor stadium and our school. Never is everything "just right!"

Lightbulb Idle minds

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Amen. Thanks for the perspective. It sometimes drives me crazy to read some of the posts that complain about almost anything and everything - from play to fans to Greeks to the temperature of Cameron.

IMO we need to be thankful for our team, our indoor stadium and our school. Never is everything "just right!"
    Indoor,I thought you were a perfectionist!
    Seriously, I am surprised that so much is off-limits now.We have become hypersensitive to the egg-shell head plaintiffs who get migraines from ringing church bells.No doubt some of the old stuff was tasteless, but some of the restrictions are silly.
    When you have a bunch of people deciding such matters as propriety or civility, the most hypersensitive opinion will prevail,thereby limiting others' freedoms.
    If appropriate and civil, gth,c gth!!

Best--Blueprof

Last night was my second game in Cameron, my first was UNC-Asheville earlier this year. The first half did seem sort of quiet, didn't reach my expectations. The second half was different though... The last two minutes of the game was incredible, the crazies did a "Please Stand Up!" chant (Or something to that effect) and got everybody in Cameron to stand. It got extremely loud and AMAZING when Henderson made the 3-point play that sealed the deal.

Most excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post

Oh Baby!
    Very well said. Let the current crop of crazies do their thing and support the team as they see fit. They're loud, they're proud and they are students today. The whole atmosphere is going to change from year to year. As long as they're there and supporting the team, what's the problem? Why in the world would we, so many of us so many years removed from our glory days as undergrads, want to control this thing?

Go Duke!