Thread: Quidditch?

Quidditch?

Anyone heard of this? Quidditch for Muggles. 170 teams across the country. Wow. I thought my D&D playing days were a bit dorky.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Anyone heard of this? Quidditch for Muggles. 170 teams across the country. Wow. I thought my D&D playing days were a bit dorky.
    Wow. I mean. Just. Wow.

I'm going to hold out for the flying brooms before I give it a try.

I always thought the 150-point 'golden snitch ends the game' rule was nonsensical and not very well thought out in the books. I have no idea how the concept would even work in real life though.

Probably couldn't make it any worse. To continue my rant, the game is pretty much always decided by the snitch - the other 6 players are just there to give the crowd something to watch. The only way the snitch doesn't matter is if a team gets ahead by at least 15 goals. Then if you're behind you should just try to play defense on the snitch until your team catches up, assuming you have a chance, or just cooperate w/ the other Seeker to try to get the game over ASAP. The only way in which Quidditch would make sense is if it were a multiple game match, with cumulative points or something - but the QWC in GoF would seem to indicate otherwise. (The match in that book also included the contrived example where you can get the snitch and lose - but that was silly because you should at least hold off on it until you're down like 180 or more and clearly have no chance - not just needing one goal to tie it w/ the snitch). And what's up with the references to matches sometimes lasting days or weeks when Harry always seems to find the snitch in like 30 minutes or less? I hate inconsistencies when they involve the protagonist.

Man, I thought the triangle had a decent gene pool.

I played a version of this in elemetary school, 5th or 6th grade maybe, which for me was 6 or 7 years ago. Our gym teacher hung a hula hoop from the rim of the basketball hoop, and we used a volleyball as a quaffle. The snitch, which I believe was a raquetball, was thrown out at random times and earned 50 points, but it did not end the game. Bludgers were dogdeballs of some sort and if you were hit you had to go off to the side for 1 minute. We did not run around with brooms, but it was alot of fun.

And I thought people here had manners...

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Man, I thought the triangle had a decent gene pool.
    So what is the meaning of your snitty elitist remark?

Are you saying we're idiots because we read Harry Potter, or because kids that grew up on the books are trying to play something that sounds like a cross between soccer, basketball, and dodgeball?

My guess is that 85% of the kids at Duke that play aren't from the triangle (if not more).

Sorry, but your statement just came across wrong.

BTW, Universal is building a REAL Quidditch pitch in Orlando -- to open next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    So what is the meaning of your snitty elitist remark?

Are you saying we're idiots because we read Harry Potter, or because kids that grew up on the books are trying to play something that sounds like a cross between soccer, basketball, and dodgeball?

My guess is that 85% of the kids at Duke that play aren't from the triangle (if not more).

Sorry, but your statement just came across wrong.

BTW, Universal is building a REAL Quidditch pitch in Orlando -- to open next fall.
    Sorry. My comment was simply a joke.

The picture in the article just made me laugh. Why the broom? Its not helping your Quid game at all.

By the way, I've read the series twice.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    The only way in which Quidditch would make sense is if it were a multiple game match, with cumulative points or something
    If you remember from the books, total points DID matter in some ways. Harry held out grabbing the snitch one match until they had enough points to also beat the Slytherins for the Quidditch Cup. It seemed to me that losing while still scoring a lot of points was better than getting creamed. And the reason Krum went ahead and grabbed the snitch in the QWC is b/c he knew his team would never catch up against the Irish, so it was better to end it and get at least 150 points than to let the Irish score even more and possibly get the snitch on top of that.

God, I'm such a loser. I'm waiting for my cheap copy (not the $100 leather-bound version) of Tales of Beadle the Bard to be delivered. It comes out tomorrow.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3502223.shtml

here just one more example...it puts me in shock...but then again im obsessive about star wars so i really shouldn't be talking

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    If you remember from the books, total points DID matter in some ways. Harry held out grabbing the snitch one match until they had enough points to also beat the Slytherins for the Quidditch Cup. It seemed to me that losing while still scoring a lot of points was better than getting creamed. And the reason Krum went ahead and grabbed the snitch in the QWC is b/c he knew his team would never catch up against the Irish, so it was better to end it and get at least 150 points than to let the Irish score even more and possibly get the snitch on top of that.

God, I'm such a loser. I'm waiting for my cheap copy (not the $100 leather-bound version) of Tales of Beadle the Bard to be delivered. It comes out tomorrow.
    OK, so sometime cumulative points matter and sometimes they don't (e.g. QWC finals). The latter is when the game would really irk me. And it still doesn't make sense to grab the snitch when down 160 points - at least hope your team scores a goal or something. I'd wait till we were down 180+ before ending the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I didn't think anything could top LARP. I guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I didn't think anything could top LARP. I guess I was wrong.
    Well, I suppose they COULD be playing Quidditch "in character." That would top both.