Rod Meyer- Duke Golf Coach Dies At 67

This is very sad news

I met and chatted with the man several times in recent years. The quotes at the end of the article are absolutely right on. He was a good educator and a good coach and a fine man. He told prospective recruits the most important thing for them to do was to challenge themselves in high school academically and meet the stringent requirements of any prospective Duke *student*.

He was honest, true to his word and cared very much for all the students, and he loved Duke. He was definitely in the mold of Mike Krzyzewski and Mike Pressler and Al Buehler.

It hurts all of us to lose people like this.

My best to his family.

I'm very sad. Rod was a long time friend - since he came to Duke after Dumpy Hagler retired. Our community has lost a fine member. RIP.

About Rod

I lost my surrogate father, my coach and very good friend. Indoor66, are you Coach C? Just curious. Duke's lost a great team member, period. I plan to ask if I'd be considered for the coaching position although I feel kinda guilty doing so. I had planned to ask after coach retired. I'd love to coach Duke golf, any who know me would not be shocked by this.

I am truly saddenned. Actually I am beyond saddenned. Going to Derm for his service will be brutal, but I am glad he's outta pain.

Coach, I miss you, I love you, please RIP. Love, CT

I'm late on posting this, but the world has lost a great man. Some of you may know that my daughter was severely injured in a hit and run accident in Durham last fall. Rod and his wife Nancy (friends of my father-in-law) were there everyday for us. They helped in every possible way:dealing with the hospital and university, offering us their home, bringing us meals, staying with my daughter in the hospital to give us some time to sleep. My wife and I will never forget their help.

Brian