Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke-Virginia Tech

I looked around and it didn't look like someone had started one yet, feel free to merge if I missed something.

Even though we've had some pretty major personnel losses recently, I'm still looking forward to watching this game. I don't give us much of a chance, and if we do stay in the game I expect it to be mostly due to the play of special teams and defense.

I think Asack will play better than he did against Clemson, but I'm not sure how much. I know Jabari looked like he got hurt last weekend, but I haven't seen an injury report with him listed, so is he in good shape to play? We really can't handle any more injuries to our DBs.

I'll be honest: I'm really not looking forward to watching this game. I'm really proud of the team's overall progress this season, but they are really beaten up at this point, and we've always been outclassed athletically by the Hokies. Historically, they've kicked our butts up and down the field over and over, and I expect largely more of the same this time. I'll be pleased if we can hold the final margin to 20 or so (I'd feel somewhat differently if the game were in Durham). We're very much headed in the right direction, but I think we've still got a ways to go before we can feel good about our chances coming into a game like this.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think Asack will play better than he did against Clemson, but I'm not sure how much.
    At least Zack has had a full week of reps with the first team, so that HAS to help. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst, going against a very good team in their house, and we are banged up as we could possibly be. They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and have an INT or two. If we can force ANY turnovers that would be a big boost, we haven't done so hot in that department lately, but we were doing a very good job of it early on.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At least Zack has had a full week of reps with the first team, so that HAS to help. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst, going against a very good team in their house, and we are banged up as we could possibly be. They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and have an INT or two. If we can force ANY turnovers that would be a big boost, we haven't done so hot in that department lately, but we were doing a very good job of it early on.
    Another thing thing worth remembering was that it was extremely windy at Clemson. I don't think its supposed to be that windy at VT, thought its going to be really cold, which could cause problems.

I think I remember some confusion about the start time (some people thought 5:30, some 7:30). Pretty sure its at 5:30 though. Just in case someone didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think I remember some confusion about the start time (some people thought 5:30, some 7:30). Pretty sure its at 5:30 though. Just in case someone didn't know.
    ESPN, who is broadcasting the game (on 'the U'), lists the start time as 5:30.

Time for the boys to dig in and fight.

There's no question this is the toughest battle of the year so far. But Cut will have a plan, and the guys gotta bring the heart.

We can do this.

-- OPK

Good luck, Devils!

Yeah, we're beaten up in all the wrong places, it seems. Whe owe them big time.

Wish Thad had the chance to give 'em hell for the late hits our last time up there.

Go Duke!

Couple hours until gametime...so far all the games I've followed went the right way. I hated Michigan before Rich Rod, and doubly so now that he's there, so seeing them get crushed was nice (I'm not an Ohio State fan, but my OSU friends have convinced me to at least hate Michigan). NC State stomped Carolina.

Wait, I take that back, I wanted Virginia to beat Clemson. Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as they say.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Kick off temp should be about 35, will be in 20's by game end, brrr.
    Heading to DukePA's shortly to watch it. We'll be sending good NC beach vibes to the VA mountains. Bringin' my laptop, hoping to snrubchat!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The game is televised over the internet (I think) here: http://channelsurfing.net/

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows.
    Luckily VT's quarterbacks suck. But I don't think we can get the offense we need for a win without Thad.

I'm watching...but I'm not happy

In the first quarter and a quarter, we've gotten 4 VT turnovers but...only 3 points. What is UP with this offense? Can Asack not throw a 3-4 yard pass? How many times are we going to run it on first down???!!!

zack attack

i have watched only about half the game, but i don't think i have seen zack hand it off once. he does realize that Option implies that a handoff is possible, right?

great game

It has been a great game so far.

Our defense has been supurb, and zack is running pretty well.

Now, VT has 5 turnovers, and we have the ball.

I would like to see some 4 or 5 yard screen passes, like Thad always does. If our defense keeps playing like this, next week will be for a bowl game.

If this doesn't put to rest the "Asack is better than Lewis" talk, nothing will.

We have forced 5 million turnovers, and scored three points, and converted zero 3rd downs.

Gonna have to disagree with ya there...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    It has been a great game so far.

Our defense has been supurb, and zack is running pretty well.

Now, VT has 5 turnovers, and we have the ball.

I would like to see some 4 or 5 yard screen passes, like Thad always does. If our defense keeps playing like this, next week will be for a bowl game.
    From a defensive standpoint, it's been a great game. Offensively...horrible. Unimaginative, predictable and most important, completely ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Kaufman View Post
    If this doesn't put to rest the "Asack is better than Lewis" talk, nothing will.

We have forced 5 million turnovers, and scored three points, and converted zero 3rd downs.
    But Thad is just so short...

On a lighter note, the phrase "Zack Attack" does recall several outstanding 'Saved By The Bell' episodes.

18. I have never in my life seen such great opportunities created by a defense so completely wasted. Our O is a joke. No creativity, no passing at all, no reason for VT to expect anything but to watch Zack keep the ball, run 1-2 yards, and get tackled. My heart breaks for our D. Those guys have come out with a truly amazing performance and we're completely trashing it.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-22-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Remove profanity

Rip 'em up! Tear 'em up! Give 'em hell Duke!!!!!

Say what you want about our offense, this game is much closer than most expected, especially the folk in Blacksburg. Our defense is playing a great game. Keep it up guys! I love the intensity our guys are showing tonight. It's so cold in Blacksburg, maybe the proverbial freeze over in Hades is about to set up!
    Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke!

"Our defense is playing a great game. "

but, unless the offense can stay on the field and DO something, they will eventually wear down, just like in other games this season.