Fair Catch Kick attempt by Cardinals

Anybody watching the Cardinals-Giants game? Very interesting to see a fair catch kick attempt by Rackers from 68 yards out. Wasn't even close though. I feel like this is a rule that most people don't know about. It is pretty wacky. Thoughts? Any other crazy little known rules in other sports that you can think of?

Yeah, it was pretty wacky -- and as a lifelong Giant fan, I suspect I would have rather annoyed if he had made it. Then again, I LOVED the idea of it, and that it is still in the rules of the NFL.

I think that most things out-of-the-ordinary (for most sports) brings excitement, as well as a ....I didn't know that. Actually I thought it was a great call -- and although I OF COURSE didn't want him to make the kick -- I wish it had been closer.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Anybody watching the Cardinals-Giants game?
    Nope. The Grey Cup game (the 96th Grey Cup game) is on so I am watching that (it is being televised on Versus in the US for anyone who might be interested). A buddy of mine's brother plays for Calgary so that makes this year's game even more interesting than usual.

Very interesting to see a fair catch kick attempt by Rackers from 68 yards out.
    That woulda been really interesting to see. Luckily, since it is so rare, it will likely be on all of tonight's highlight reels so I'll ctach it then.

Is Donovan McNabb aware of this rule?

This probably won't be on Youtube for long because of copyrights, but for now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    This probably won't be on Youtube for long because of copyrights, but for now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

Thanks for the link. It looked to me like he either really shanked it or wasn't even trying to get it anywhere close to the uprights.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    It looked to me like he either really shanked it or wasn't even trying to get it anywhere close to the uprights.
    I'm quite sure he's never practiced it. It seems like he tried to kick it like a kickoff, but the ball was not on a tee so he couldn't hit it like he normally does.

You play how you practice. I can see why nobody practices this kick.

It's still sweet.

It looked to me like somebody trying to "gorilla" a tee shot in golf with their driver, and he just hit it thin and hooked it. I don't think he NEEDED to kick it as hard as he did. He just so psyched himself up to it that he overdid it. Think about it. Most kickers who kick off from the 30 can get it to the goal line or beyond. Kicking from the 42, 12 yards closer, he shouldn't have had to hit it QUITE that hard from a tee with no snap or hold or rush to deal with. I think he got too tightly wound and just shanked it trying to overkick it.

There was NO reason for him NOT to try to kick it for the uprights. If they were going to do that, they might as well have had Warner throw up a hail mary for a chance at a TD or a penalty. It was first down. There was NO reason to just kick it to the other team. They were trying to make. I think he shanked it.