Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Play-by-play voice?

Now that Bobby Knight is receiving acclaim for his game commentary, who do you want calling play-by-play on the next Duke game?

I thought Shulman did a fine job with Knight. He asked him good follow up questions when Knight pointed something out. He seems to just go where the color guy takes him.

After listening to the measured and insightful Knight on Thursday, Dickie V sounded like a drunk 5th grader during Friday's game. I vote for more Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    After listening to the measured and insightful Knight on Thursday, Dickie V sounded like a drunk 5th grader during Friday's game. I vote for more Knight.
    That's no joke. I started counting consecutive possessions with no mention of the game at hand... I got to 5, forgot what I was doing, and lost count.

And that was in the first half.

I have for years generally enjoyed Dickie V. The past couple of seasons though have seen that enjoyment convert all the way through tolerance now to nearly total irritation. Even without comparison to the job Knight did Thursday, the call on Friday was just plain useless. Tired, disjointed from the game at hand, and relentlessly shrill.

The worst was his semi-diatribe in which he at least twice went off on the tangent of starting basketball season later so as not to compete with football. Maybe a good idea, but it would have been better had he not on both occasions then immediately and for extended periods prattled on with game previews of Ohio St- Michigan, Texas Tech- Oklahoma, and some other general poofery about the Gators.

No question Vitale has been good for Duke; but he is a nearly complete caricature of his own schtick now. I find it sad to say that I watched a lot of the game with the sound off rather than listening to what has become pointless blather. Come back Dickie V, or go all the way to the beach-

There was also that part where he awkwardly hit on Mrs. Krzyzewski. Don't know what that was about, but it was weird...

I've made no secret of my thorough annoyance with Vitale for at least the past half-decade, but his inadequacy is that much more glaring when juxtaposed with measured, insightful commentary from a guy like Knight.
    I wonder if/when ESPN will see fit to show him the door. I sincerely hope he won't just blather on until he can't sit up straight anymore, but considering the amount of money he undoubtedly makes for his employers, I highly doubt if they're at all inclined to get rid of him, or even get him to tone it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Now that Bobby Knight is receiving acclaim for his game commentary, who do you want calling play-by-play on the next Duke game?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Bobby Knight, easily. And why not put Jason Williams in there with him, just for the heck of it.

Ironic in this situation is that Dicky V, in person, is a really nice guy, whereas Bobby Knight...well, I presume we all know that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    That's no joke. I started counting consecutive possessions with no mention of the game at hand... I got to 5, forgot what I was doing, and lost count.

And that was in the first half.
    Be glad you weren't playing a drinking game.

Knight and Bilas are so much better than most of those clowns ESPN puts on the air.

Exclamation Thread re-jack

Remember that the question was about PLAY-BY-PLAY, not color commentary. Commentary might be great with Bilas and Knight. Commentary is dreadful with Vitale. But the question is PLAY-BY-PLAY.

Besides Bob Harris, whose play-by-play would you most want to hear?

One other Duke vote

I might want to place a write-in vote for G-man.

OK - I watched him play in Cameron Indoor, but he is knowledgeable and apparently a pretty nice guy.

OTOH, my television is in serious jeopardy if I have to endure any more Vitale blatherings. At least I wll get somewhat of a break when the ESPN games are blacked out in favor of (local) Raycom TV contracts.

k

Brad Daugherty. I miss that guy.

I wish Jamal Mashburn did college games.

Remember that the question was about PLAY-BY-PLAY, not color commentary. Commentary might be great with Bilas and Knight. Commentary is dreadful with Vitale. But the question is PLAY-BY-PLAY.

Oh, well that's easy. Steven A. Smith.

Even after this post, people still continue to nominate analysts!

I always enjoy listening to Dan Shulman, Ron Franklin, & Brad Nessler as play-by-play announcers. Also, I don't think he does college basketball anymore but I'd love for Mike Tirico to work a Duke game.

Red face Discuss these two names

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Even after this post, people still continue to nominate analysts!

I always enjoy listening to Dan Shulman, Ron Franklin, & Brad Nessler as play-by-play announcers. Also, I don't think he does college basketball anymore but I'd love for Mike Tirico to work a Duke game.
    A good guy, but one who mispronounces a key name or twelve... Dan Bonner.

Jim Nance?

Sorry Lavabe, I think people either don't know the difference between play-by-play and color, or else they just want to talk about Knight vs. Vitale, although there's already another thread going on that topic.

I think that the differences among different color guys tend to excite emotions more than the play-by-play guys.